WIP Longford 1967

thanks for the responses guys
Union Street & Pub Corner
pubcorner.jpg

so i got some sleep yesterday morning, work continued, now it's time for sleep again :7:
:D

Just watched the YouTube video and all I can say is... fantastic. The level of detail is simply outstanding. Congratulations on your track.

Since the Longford races were held over the long weekend, and sadly the circuit isn't finished yet, i have for you another preview :
(you might have to refresh if the video doesn't appear)

Thanks Mike, i've done some work on updating the power poles but they're not in game yet.
As a slow reverse lap this vid will hopefully allow people to get a decent look at the place, because when you can actually drive the circuit it's quite tempting to open it up and let 'er rip. I'm glad you like the looks of it, i've certainly put a few hours in. To call it art gives most of the credit to the town of Longford for having such rich and varied environment, characteristic trackside features and a balls out circuit. I've just tried to copy it like a forge artisit :wink:

As for a release date, I had hoped for this weekend, but nope. Mid-year uni break (June/July) at the earliest. Christmas, maybe. Labour Day weekend 2011, I hope so.

As for a release date, I had hoped for this weekend, but nope. Mid-year uni break (June/July) at the earliest. Christmas, maybe. Labour Day weekend 2011, I hope so.

That is a joke, hey?? As I found with Top Gear and Lakeside, if you keep thinking...."MMmmm, if I just did this or that, it would look much better!" you will never get it done, or released.

I do hope it is soon though, it looks great. I am doing a patch and upgrade for Lakside Park 2010 with bits I though of after lol, so it can be never ending.

Mike

looks very good so far. my opinion is go and release it . you can neme it beta and patch it later to final version. cant wait to drive it around ;)

That is a joke, hey?? As I found with Top Gear and Lakeside, if you keep thinking...."MMmmm, if I just did this or that, it would look much better!" you will never get it done, or released.
Well, when i said this time next year i meant "i bloody well better have it done by then". I might do a v1 release before too long and then the odd update down the track, but there are still a few technical things that absolutely must be done before a proper release. i agree, i really ought to draw a line under it at some point otherwise it will never end. i want to have it out before rF2, that's for sure, otherwise it's obsolete before it's even done.

BLeeKs bent reply

Gday Woochoo,
That track of yours is look'n awsome,it looks ready to go as is. I watch the 1st vid clip several times before
starting on Bungonia each time,it realy helps to get the juices flowing. Now with this new clip Ive got even more
incentive to get on with it. How about get'n it out there & then bring out updates later? Im not sure how much
longer I can wait n drool!
Now for some real questions,will it have tree root/hard breaking ripples into & pot
holes on the driveline out of corners?:)biggrin:just like real roads here in Oz!)
Where do I find myself some real Holdens to down load like yer Monaro?
But biggest ask of all-besides the 1967Bathurst track,do you know of any other historic/no longer
in use/dearly departed Australian race tracks out there either done or under construction?
Anyway keep up the hard work,your doin great mate.

Thanks Bleek,
How is Bungonia coming along?
I'm just starting to put more detail into variations/malformations of the road surface. The last corner could be a candidate for root ripples but i've not seen any evidence in any photos. I understand the Tas Gov put a fair bit of work into improving the roads around Longford back in the day, so there were centainly no genuine pot holes.
Monaro : http://rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Bathurst%20Legends%201969
Best source i know of for old Aussie tracks : http://rfactorcentral.com/list.cfm?cat=Tracks but i think they're mostly modern versions.
I have heard Gnoo Blas mentioned as a possible future project by someone, but i'll leave it up to them if they want to reveal any more. I can say that i would like to drive it though.

Howdy Mr Woochoo,
Thanks for the Monaro leed.
As for the Bungonia update,work is getting in the way with that one. 7day fortnights instead of
14on/14off plus 800+km's west,south/west of Townsville has hampered things a bit. Don't fear
though work continues, all be it in a reduced capacity.
Recently I've been/I am currently stitching together goggle earth images of the track for the
background image,a total of over 550 images @ 1km above the earth.
There is no way I could work out how to do the polygon/"trace a line" over the 84km/52mile course
so Ive invested in a Navman GPS,now all Ive got to do is find some time off long enough to get
down there & lap it!(not enough time or not enough money,Its always one or thre other!)
(Someone has told me that I need some data logging softwaredoes anyone know of any details?)
Dunno if you've checked it out yet on goggleEarth,but here's some facts about Bungonia & bits
you may be interested in;
If I printed out the 550+images it would teake to navigate the circuit as mentioned above on
A4 paper, the stuck-together mess would be roughly 54meters in length,
and if you or anyone else is interested, the start/finish line is located at 34:47'03.00"S by
149:44'09.75"E on the goggleE and goes in an anti-clockwise dirrection.
Lastly, although the original track was 84kms, with current road maps it measures around 77kms
due to trimming with road re-alinments over the years.
There is an excelent book called "The Racing Boys" by Wayne Addams that Ive been using for many
references & can forward on to anyone interested.
(And now on the wind up)
Talking of references'n'****,Ive been collecting since issue1 "Old Bike Australia" & issue No7
pg40 has an artical on Longford in there. They also run a "Tracks In Time" feature as a
regular colum with many an interesting circuit each month,the main reason I buy it.
Other circuits Im interested in building in time would have to be Catalina Park,Katoomba,NSW &
Lobethal,S.A.(May be also some of those mad Irish closed road circuits they like to race bikes
up'n'down).
(Finally)
Id just like to apologise for the fact Im a rambler & I tend to write Eh-Mails like a letter, plus this
is the 1st Forum thing Ive ever been in & worried Im gunna upset peoples by rabbitting on as I tend
to do.
P.S. Those telegraph poles on Longford are great(all higgledy-piggiledy),I keep coming back to that
in my mind(on top of ALL else) when I think of your circuit. Ive never seen that on any other CG
circuit nor with that amount of detail,goodonyermate.
Tassies panoramic land scapes or not,that truely is art work youve rendered there!
BLeeK
P.P.S Where do I find the start/finish line on the goggleE for Longford?

No need for "Mr" woochoo, it ain't my last name :wink:
Longford start line: 41:34'42.76"S & 147:08'15.28"E at 162m above sea level. The bridges are gone, but most of the road is still there, though not all of it is in use. Bungonia looks so epic. Can't wait, but i'm sure it will be a bit of a wait! I was thinking of doing Loebthal, infact i even went so far as to import the GE gps and add some rough heights and basic terrain, a good fun drive, but after working on Longford (only 7km) there is no way i can dedicate enough effort to a larger track, particularly since i've never been there, nor am i likely to spend enough time there to do as good of a job as i'd like. I would however be happy to donate trees, power poles etc for Lobethal and Bungonia.

Don't worry about rambling, it's my thread and you're talking interesting stuff, so it's all good. Don't be affraid to start your own thread for Bungonia in the WIP section though. You could upload a track map and fill us interested people in with progress reports. some early screen shots/vids too if you choose.

Can't help you with GPS software info though. I guess you'll be getting decent height data too, so that should be good. I think there are some related threads in the BTB forum though, but you might have to do a little searching.

Not to pressure you but http://tasman-series.com/misc/lostcircuits/lostcircuits.asp has some interesting circuits, not sure how much reference material there is for them though. the Tasman Series tracks too. Might inspire someone to make a Tasman Series or 60's Aussie Tourers mod. I know you're a bike guy though. And besides, you'll be working on Bungonia for years to come :wink:

Thanks for the comments too, and all the best with Bungonia!

arge blasted computers

I didnt realise you were on line at the time Mr(could be SIR for that amount of detail,be proud of it!)Woochoo,
I would be happy with something like your 1st clip,let alone your second clip,so long as I have road texture &
the background panorama simullar to yours so that one can see the road transpire as it approaches, such as
your own track, I'd be more than happy.
Ive always been more interested in circuits that have corner combinations as apposed to modern tracks with
F1 inspired radiused corners joined by drag strips.
If I can finish Bungonia in time I would be proud to join you in constructing Lobethal.
I used to live in the central tablelands NSW & your track so reminds me of the roads that I used to race over
that I had to ask about the road textures,I only wish that there was a cattle grid or two or a train track across
some part of Bungonia that I could represent without making up fib's,maybe with the next track?
Anyway Ive taken nearly four hours to hen-peck this out in dislexic-chook-form that I should sign off &
get ready for work again.
If you or anyone reading this would like to get in touch with me in a more direct form feel free to contact
me through lee_knight_oz@yahoo.com.au
If you dont mind I'll forward on your two video clips of Longford to the editor of Old Bike Australia who's father,
I belive, actually used to race there.(The more interest we can cause in real road racing,the closer we come
to bringing it back!)
G'dnight 'n' gods speed(on track at least)
BLeeK
P.S.When I go down to get the GPS data on my Navman I will also be shooting a fulltime video & posting
that just to keep people juiced.
Be prepared!

I sure don't mind you forwarding the videos. It has recently occured to me that probably a good portion of the people who are interested in my work are older gents who have little interest in driving the circuit in a game but are still very happy to just see the videos.

I won't be doing much/any construction of Lobethal. The work i did do was nearly a year ago and frankly i think you might be better off starting from scratch. Being such a big track it might be worth seeing if we could get a group of like-minded Aussies/Internationals together to work on different elements of the track. Track, buildings, textures, trees, objects, terrain etc. I reckon a historic version might be less work too.

Sometimes i can't believe the features of Longford. A Huge water tank, a Brick rail bridge the track goes under, two bridges, a rail crossing, a pub, a huge tree. You can't make that kind've stuff up! It's made for a lot of work but it's much more interesting to drive than Bahrain. perhaps not as safe though.

If you are asking specifics about my road textures, they are a blend between Ennis' Road Mid 500 i think and VLM/Elwood/Madhorse's Rouen textures. I painted the lines my self. I do have an urge to make some fresh road textures from scratch though, the current ones a pretty reasonable, but they're still a bit too gamey for my tastes, and since the road surface is a pretty major part of the track i feel i should update it.

I look forward to seeing your video from Bungonia :thumbup:

A short one this time

Gday again Woochoo,
That "group of like minded" working together on tracks sounds like a great idea,I'd definately be up for
that one!
It would not only be a great way to bring back some awesome tracks & cut down on build time but help
brake in Noobs such as myself.
I have a collection of articales (the Tracks in Time series) that I'm scanning so I can pass them on to you &
anyone else interested, one has a few good photo's of Longford including both bridges & shots from
(roughly) a year before it was fully sealed &1st raced on in 1953 (from memory).
For that first group build Ive been thinking of the 2km Catalina circuit @ Katoomba.
What do you think? Any suggestions?
The reasons Ive thought of Catalina is because its still there preserved,it's surrounded by scrub & wooden
boards (so,in theory wouldn't require huge trackside object creation),it's short with great hieght variations &
lastly it falls right into the mid 60's period.
Anyway I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on a communal track build,I should be back on line later
tonight.

Catalina return

Even'n Woochoo,
It looks as though Bangers has finished Catalina, downloading it from rFactor central as I type.
Should go well with Bathurst'67!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back