Life, Universe and everything within

Not anymore :) Arsenic based life form discovered with a completely different dna structure then every other living thing on earth.

http://m.gizmodo.com/5704158/nasa-finds-new-life

So everything is flipped on it's head now when it comes to looking for life on other planets.

Wow thats really amazing. Have you ever wondered about what caused the big bang? I mean what caused anything? How did anything come into existence? Its quite mindblowing if you think about it :)

Listen to this... An average neutron star is 20 kilometres in diameter and its temperature in its core is so hot, that exotic forms of matter may be present - Matter that existed in the universe a few millionths of a second after the big bang. Not only this, but the surface gravity on a neutron star is 100,000,000,000 G. F1 drivers expierience 5 or 6 G going through 130R in suzuka. But think of 100 billion G? :)

Neutron star matter is so dense, that one sugar cube of it would weigh more than Mount Everest.

Just thought I'd share this with you.. :cool:

Good stuff!

Not only are exotic materials made in stars, the building blocks used to build you me and everything around it can only be created inside a star.

If you want to be poetic you can essentially say we stepped out of a supernova.
And that we all are 13.7 Billion years old, even a new born baby.
The molecules have just changed shape during that time.

The atoms in your left arm might not come from the same star as the ones in your right arm.

It definitely is yes :)

Same with looking at the night sky, if you look at it scientifically it´s not just a glowing dot in the sky.

you have a beam of light that travelled across the whole galaxy which hit and interacted with your eye.

Amazing really.

It definitely is yes :)

Same with looking at the night sky, if you look at it scientifically it´s not just a glowing dot in the sky.

you have a beam of light that travelled across the whole galaxy which hit and interacted with your eye.

Amazing really.

Let me tell you a story mate.. On 23rd of April 2009, scientists detected a gamma-ray burst (when a stars core collapses into a black hole) and it was visable for 10 seconds. This star was around fifty times the mass of our sun and is one of the brightest stars out there.

The amazing thing about this, is that that star had died 13 billion years ago and the light only travelled to us now :) It was the oldest thing ever seen by us humans..when we look at stars we are esentially looking at the past.

Think about it though.. light travels 300,000 kilometres every second. It took this light from the gamma ray burst 13 billion years to travel to us. It just shows how HUGE the universe is. Pretty cool right? :D

On 23rd of April 2009, scientists detected a gamma-ray burst (when a stars core collapses into a black hole)

No.

There are 3 main candidates for long duration GRBs: a quark star (quark deconfinement phenomenon during phase transition - a neutron star may decay into a quark star ), a rapidly spinning, strongly magnetized neutron star (magnetar), and an accreting black hole.

These GRBs are postulated to happen when a very high-mass star explodes into a Type 1c supernova, while collapsing into a quark star, magnetar or a black hole.

There is another type of GRBs, of shorter duration, which result from a neutron star merger (collision).

There is another origin for GRBs proposed a few years ago: the birth of a magnetar.

Btw, these bursts of gamma radiation (with energies up to, or even higher than 10 GeV), which makes it easy to understand how such bursts of electromagnetic energy from those events travelled several billion light-years to Earth.

From Physorg:

Spacetime: A smoother brew than we knew

"Gamma-ray bursts can tell us some very interesting things about the universe," Nemiroff said. In this case, those three photons recorded by the Fermi telescope suggest that spacetime may not be not as bubbly as some scientists think.

Some theories of quantum gravity say that the universe is not smooth but foamy—made of fundamental units called Planck lengths that are less than a trillionth of a trillionth the diameter of a hydrogen atom.

Planck lengths are so small that there's no way to detect them, except via photons like those that make up gamma-ray bursts. Here's why. The wavelengths of these photons are some of the shortest distances known to science—so short they should interact with the even smaller Planck length.

And if they interact, the photons should be dispersed—scattered—on their trek through Planck length–pixilated spacetime. In particular, they should disperse in different ways if their wavelengths differ, just as a ping pong ball and a softball might take alternate paths down a gravely hillside. You wouldn't notice the scattering over short distances, but across billions of light years, the Planck lengths should disperse the light. And three photons from the same gamma-ray burst should not have crashed through the Fermi telescope at the same moment. But they did, and that calls into question just how foamy spacetime really is.

"We have shown that the universe is smooth across the Planck mass," Nemiroff said. "That means that there's no choppiness that's detectable. It's a really cool discovery. We're very excited."

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2012-08-spacetime-smoother-brew-knew.html#jCp

This being a site related to racing sims, here's a piece of interesting news some will like:

MASSIVE advances in aerodynamics

Engineers are closer to understanding, and therefore manipulating, invisible aerodynamic drag forces, that cause an estimated 50 per cent of transportation fuel to be lost before we can use it.

Director of Monash University's Laboratory for Turbulence Research in Aerospace and Combustion (LTRAC) Professor Julio Soria, said the technology to visualise these forces, which by causing drag or wind resistance, waste energy, was now available. Understanding and controlling these forces could lead to significant financial and environmental savings. "We are trying to understand the turbulent boundary layer - the region right next to objects' surfaces that causes drag on aeroplanes, ships, trains, trucks - all vehicles, as well as the resistance to flow of water, oil and gas in pipes" Professor Soria said.

The LTRAC team is working on ways to manipulate this layer to control and reduce drag and increase aerodynamic efficiency. "Based on Airbus estimates, even a 10 per cent reduction of this drag would result in a fuel savings corresponding to about 25 per cent of the operational cost," Professor Soria said.

The mechanics of turbulence of the boundary layer have remained a mystery because the structure of the boundary layer changes dramatically and unpredictably depending on the size of the object, its orientation and its speed. Further, it is almost impossible to effectively measure and analyse the conditions on a large object like the wing of an aircraft in motion.

Despite the challenges, Professor Soria and his team are making progress by taking advantage of two super computer facilities - the Multi-modal Australian ScienceS Imaging and Visualisation Environment (MASSIVE) at Monash and the National Computational Infrastructure in Canberra. "We couldn't do these very large computations and visualisations without MASSIVE. To load and visualise this much data you need a supercomputer," Professor Soria said. "Now we have better technology, we're seeing phenomena that we couldn't see before, and so didn't account for. As we delve deeper into the structure of the turbulent boundary layer, we find effects that we didn't even consider." Professor Soria said the turbulent flows the team is visualising are unpredictable, but not random. They can see patterns and can observe the lifespan of clearly identifiable coherent structures in what seems to the naked eye to be a random flow.

"Once we understand this, we can design surface control strategies that manipulate the turbulent boundary layer to minimise drag which will result in more efficient vehicles, and less energy losses in the transport of liquids and gas in pipes. This will also reduce the amount of CO2 we produce, and the pain in our hip pockets."

- Monash University's Laboratory for Turbulence Research in Aerospace and Combustion

For those who are fascinated with cosmological models and astronomic objects, here's something really, really good, with some of best scientists investigating the phenomenon of Black Holes - a good, basic level introduction of this subject. Enjoy.

So when people say "well we have to take into consideration that we are alone" I just laugh as hard as i can.

It was me who said that and it still is true.The likelihood of we being alone is very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very tiny, but it's there anyway. Personally i'm strong in my belief that we are not alone but i have zero proof... Again stirring the pot here but don't confuse facts with very high probability that reaches to almost certainty. Almost certain is not a fact.

Let's continue on the line in the last videos/posts, let's not turn this into another ufo/conspiracy thread that did more harm than good. So, only real science please, no pyramid videos.

That arsenic based life-form, i knew (well, didn't know, believed..) that they exist, it's so logical just looking at periodic table of elements. We may still have those gaseous lifeforms in Jupiter Lem wrote about in Cyberiad.. (i think it was in that book, it's not the only reference to it, Carl Sagan has said it too, not really serious but it's a nice thought exercise ...). The story in short is that a father teaches his kid how protein based lifeforms are impossible to exist according to their knowledge, the examples he tells to the kid are hilarious, as is the whole book. Don't look it up at Wikipedia, you'll spoil the whole book in the first two sentences, just read, it's brilliant collection of short stories with loose major plot, perfect for short stints. Stanislav Lem: Cyberiad

Boundary layers, interesting stuff...no sarcasm, it really is.

Let's continue on the line in the last videos/posts, let's not turn this into another ufo/conspiracy thread that did more harm than good. So, only real science please, no pyramid videos.
but that is impossible to do with you because you just ignore whatever is put in front of you that you simply can not answer.

You did it in the Conspiracy Theories thread, you did it in the UFO thread.
Why would anyone in their right mind discuss with you if you just ignore certain things?

You say some things, then when something is presented that you can´t deny or dispute you just ignore it.

Only if it´s something you can deny or dispute or ridicule do we see you in these types of threads.
We have established that fact a long time ago Kennett.

But, have fun discussing with others, i´m sure they have no idea about that but i guess they will eventually discover that too.

Wow, that was classy, you really don't like me. Well not all do, that's fine by me, i'm starting to dislike you too... I didn't come here to argue but to marvel the life, universe and everything like the title said, jumped to second page and read this wonderful material until i saw you quoting me, i just had to respond. Looked at first page and my disappointment was really huge, another ufo thread masked in another title.. But there is still hope because now i start posting interesting stuff too. Like this:

atomicforcem.jpg

A nanographene molecule aka buckyball.. It's just beautiful.. This is a real photo of that molecule showing the bonds between atoms.. It's just amazing that the length of those bonds are about one-hundredth of an atom's diameter. That's small..

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back