Lewis Hamilton: No contract deadline

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Lewis Hamilton today insisted he has not yet decided his Formula One future and that there is no urgency for him to choose where he will be racing next year, despite rumours linking him with a move to Mercedes.

Hamilton’s contract negotiations with McLaren have dragged out across the summer months but the 2008 champion has so far not committed to another season with the Woking-based outfit. And speaking at today’s official FIA press conference ahead of the Italian Grand Prix, Hamilton would not be drawn on suggestions that he will abandon the team has been with since childhood to race for Mercedes from 2013 onwards.Asked if he had any comment on the rumours, Hamilton tersely replied “not really” before saying he still does not know where he will be racing next year.

“I don't have a deadline - obviously before next season I think would be useful,” he said. “I'm in a great position, and I just need to focus on preparations for these races. We've got a long way to go before the end of the season and Jenson and I have showed in the previous race that there's great potential in the car and in the team, so that's really what I need to try and focus on most.”

Asked if financial reward was a motivation in deciding his future, Hamilton said any decision would simply be based on a team’s competitiveness.

“I want to win,” he said. “I always want to win, every year you compete, that's why us drivers exist and that's why the teams exist. It's just making sure you're in the right place to do so.”
View the Post on the Blog

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea