PC1 Latest Build testing.

Andy_J

I hate Race cheats ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
As you all know, Ian gave me a free pass to test the latest builds and that's what I have been doing for the last week. I will report here as and when I see fit to tell all about my findings.

But I will say that the latest build (296) is quite good. Now lets make some sense of my statement. I used a Lotus 98T in helmet cam using my antique MOMO red wheel and I can honestly report it is coming along much better than I anticipated. The actual feel and immersion is damn fine at this point. The handling is strange at first compared to say...RF2 and FVA, but it grows on you within minutes. At this point in time, this actual car feels good. I like it and I love the Milan circuit. The damage model has come on leaps and bounds.

I am doing some more testing all of next week using a G27 and I will also test some of the other cars that don't interest me as much (I am a F1 nut) and see how the feel in comparison to Shift 2, because that is what I was initially comparing PCars to.

I would like the replay function to have a directors mode though. Something that jumps from action to action and from car to car.

Aside from that, the replay's do crash my PC quite often but I understand that is being looked at.

Watch this space.

Well in my opinion, the other newer open wheelers seem to be too loose. As for F1 2012, well if you haven't tried it now, best not to compare eh? Just thinking like. As for my style, well I like what I like. And if I don't like it, I say I don't like it. I don't like Asano at all. I drive always from a cockpit view (5% 'r) and I absolutely detest the cockpit view in the Asano. The car handles reasonably well but still loose. I'll keep on testing though.
Have a nice day Flawl3ssVctry or whatever your name is.

I feel like the lotus 78 needs a lot of work. It's on rails everywhere, I wouldn't ever expect that from such an old powerful car.

and the inside of the asano is ugly, I guess that's what most DTM cars look like though, they've been pretty accurate in the art department.

I like the z4, although riding kerbs is just impossible, they need to work on that too.

I've done a few online races with build 375 and I find the cars a little too twitchy. not in an oversteery kind of way but they react way too much to the smallest wheel input. The z4 is really the only car i enjoy driving these days. My worst experience was with the formula b at spa. I was all over the place because the car didnt feel planted like other sims do. Here's hoping :)

Guys that Lotus 78 doesn't even have the right tires yet. IIRC, it's still using the FA tyres. The SMS tyre/physics guys (AJ/Casey) haven't gotten to this car yet so there's no real point in analyzing the '78 grip/physics right now. Also the Street Tyre is pretty raw so best to skip the Gumpert and Huayra for now

Yeah, Asano X4 is pretty claustophobic, I just got used to it. Handles great once you fix the setup. Never really liked the default setups, too twitchy like Nate said. I usually slow down the Steering Ratio a couple of clicks right away.

Today, after driving various cars around the Nordsliefe on PCars and not feeling great with it, I fired up Shift 2 with the same or very similar cars and compared them. My god, Pcars needs some work yet. Yes I know it's pre-Alpha or whatever but their is no comparison at this present time to Shift 2. Shift 2 drives better for me, strange but true. Yes I have a few handling mods and the community mod but hey, it's better at this present time. Come on Pcars devs, pull your fingers out.The members have paid you to get some work done.

Anyone here tried the latest team build, some changes to the tyre carcass by reducing damping plus other changes has improved the suspension/chassis response. The cars feel more connected to the road now, less floaty, and respond better to kerbs and bumps with more energy coming up through the car and in a more direct manner. This doesn't affect all the cars yet though and is by no means perfect but an improvement none the less.

Despite this I still find there is too much stability, with weight transfer, inertia and body roll being mostly an after thought when driving. I have difficulty getting the tyres to skid/slip laterally with heavy steering inputs and high lateral loads, the cars mainly understeer and the back refuses to step out of line. The positive thing is it makes the game very playable on a gamepad but on a wheel there's just not enough going on.

"I have difficulty getting the tyres to skid/slip laterally with heavy steering inputs and high lateral loads, the cars mainly understeer and the back refuses to step out of line."

I take it You did not try the 2 new BMW
2012 BMW M3 GT (WIP)

1991 BMW M3 E30 GroupA (WIP)

Take them for a spin at Sonoma or Suzuka .
I'm sure You know how to dail in FFB for no clipping first :).

I just tried the Formula A at HWY1 in the latest build. It is now better than I've seen previously.
The car is still a bit tail happy...but that "silly" bouncing up and down at high frequency is gone.
I'm extremely happy about that. Hope it extends to all of the cars.
This thing can be great. I'm hoping SMS can get it to where it should be. Nothing else will do.

"I have difficulty getting the tyres to skid/slip laterally with heavy steering inputs and high lateral loads, the cars mainly understeer and the back refuses to step out of line."

I take it You did not try the 2 new BMW
2012 BMW M3 GT (WIP)

1991 BMW M3 E30 GroupA (WIP)

Take them for a spin at Sonoma or Suzuka .
I'm sure You know how to dail in FFB for no clipping first :).

Obviously not seeing as they weren't in the Build I posted about :)

I'm disappointed yet again with the latest build. My system seems to run slower with each build. Yes the graphics are nice but I realised many years ago that pretty graphics do not make a keeper. And as for the feel of the physics and FFB, why can't it feel as good as the GTR or Race 07 series by now? Maybe it's just me but I don't get it. I want it to feel just like them, but have the fantastic graphics that it has. Surely that's not much to ask? I'll keep on testing the latest build in my own time, when I get the time until they stop me. I am hoping that the physics will get a complete turnaround soon.

Hi Andy.

Your system running slower as more assets is added to tracks would be normal.
At some point tracks and cars will be optimized for FPS.

Turn the bling bling down in grfx settings ;)

If You have FPS problem with Your system that will effect physics to.

As the SETA tire model is worked on for individual cars it's a "tango",
one build tow steps forward, the next build one step back.

In this last build all bridges and overpasses at laguna seca are missing,
and will be added back in the next build.

If You think it will be a linear improvement on everything in every build,
You'r in for a rude awakening.

Pick a car, work on input for the devs, work with the FFB tweak files.

Work with FFB telemetry sine wave to find non "clipping " values.

Post Your input in the many car specific physics threads.

And if You just want to log on, go MP racing, I use iRacing.

:)

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • More leagues

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • Prizes

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • Trophies

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Forum trophies