1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lap times

Discussion in 'RaceRoom Racing Experience' started by Sean Lander, Sep 20, 2014.

1. i have to ask the question? How is it that some people can be sooo much faster than everyone else? Bathurst for example. 2.01 in a GT2 car. How??

I'd love to see in the leaderboards if it's possible to show things like.
    Controller and custom setups. Just so we know it's a level playing field.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Yeah, it makes me realize how poor I am :)

but I guess you have to mess with set-ups and people don't want to share their work...understandable in racing.
  3. [​IMG]
    • Haha Haha x 1
  4. What's your time?
  5. [​IMG]
    • Haha Haha x 2
  6. Yeah those aliens are damn quick! My best is a 2.05 flat, I know I'm not super quick but to be 4 seconds off the pace I just wonder how to find that much time.

I don't ever mess with setups and I am driving with a sequential shifter and use the clutch so I guess that's a factor.
  7. I'm old and not a fast driver but I do a 2.03.285 with the BMW M3 GT2, with default setup and without practice.
    With some practice and setup I could do a 2.02 and with 30 years younger maybe another second.
  8. Wow! I'm impressed! I guess I have a lot to learn (currently 42nd globally). Although you don't show up on the leaderboards anywhere?
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  9. I was busy testing the next build, so I used that one. Same GT2 physics and default wheel settings with a T500 and seq shifter.

10. Very nice. Have you tried the Fanatec gear? I used to own the T500 and while I found it to be a bit plasticy I did find that it was more precise. For the life of me I doubt I'll ever get to a time like that. Is that FOV standard? Mine seems a lot more zoomed in.
  11. The FOV is default, I usually use 0.8 and no visual wheel.

Never tried Fanatec. Only test with TX/T500 and G27.
  12. Peter, how can we translate the 0.8 FOV of RRRE in a vertical FOV value, used for example by rFactor and Assetto Corsa?

P.S.: I'm curious, how old are you? :whistling:
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  13. I don't know the FOV question.

I'm older than mid-age. No not right but I'm passed the middle of mid age.
  14. Ah, OK, thanks anyway. ;)

With your FOV system I always had troubles to find a FOV similar to the other games (also with the SimBin era games).
  15. I got a 1:34.8 on the DTM Experience Time-Attack: Zandvoort and was pretty happy...then I saw that I was 4.6 seconds off the pace....WOW!!!!

Granted I am using a controller, but man 4 seconds!!!
  16. Whatever middle age is? I'm 51 which I consider to be middle aged. ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. [​IMG]
  18. need more practice, every result can be beaten, but its hard...
  19. Wow, I am in awe. I got to 1:34.6, but I am in baby steps now, hundredth here, tenth there.

Is that with a controller or wheel? I know I can get a second off my time if I had a perfect run, but I don't see how I can get anything more than that. Guess I have a lot to learn.
  20. Keith_G

Premium Member

I understand your angst but once you start watching or following others then you can see that it is usually only a couple of tenths or so per corner that they are faster than you. But the most important thing is that they come out of the main corners about 5-7 kph more than you and this translates to very fast times at the end of each straight. Little things add up and soon you are a few seconds behind even though you think you can't go any faster. I am usually 4-5 seconds behind the top guys and sorry to say it but they are just better at driving! Set ups, gears, Driving wheels, pedals and other things can help but I make the most progress when I concentrate on my driving rather than those things. Analyze the track to see which are the most important corners (usually leading to the longest straights) and then see if you can improve on those corners first (set up your car to be fastest on these corners). Then see how much more your top speed is before you have to brake for the next corner. Bathurst has 23 corners and if you can improve a bit on 10 of the most important ones then you could easily knock off 1-1.5 sec. Really improve on corner 1 (faster speed coming out) and see what that can do for you. I'm definitely not that good of a driver but hope that helps.
    • Agree Agree x 4