Kubica Gets Official Spot in Post Hungarian Grand Prix in Season Test

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Kubica gets 2017 test chance.jpg

Renault Sport F1 has confirmed Robert Kubica will get a day behind the wheel of a 2017 Grand Prix car at the upcoming post Hungarian Grand Prix in season test.

Renault have been evaluating the potential for Kubica to make a competitive return to Grand Prix racing for a number of months now, giving the Polish driver seat time at tests in both Spain and France using a 2012 specification car, however the official Hungarian in season test will be the first time Kubica has sampled 2017 spec machinery and will mark the first official appearance for the Pole since his near fatal rally accident in 2011.

The agreement between Renault and Kubica is by no means an indication of the squad’s intention to bring the lanky Polish driver into the car for this season, but has merely been badged as another opportunity for the team to evaluate the potential that exists within Kubica to compete in modern Formula One racing in future.

Although reluctant to comment on the healing process of his injuries in recent years, Kubica himself has been increasingly vocal in recent months about his state of readiness to return to Formula One, considering himself to be free of limitations with regards to the old injury and now mentally ready to pick up where he left off at the end of the 2010 season.

The test in Hungary will be the first time Kubica has stepped into a current Grand Prix car since the accident, and gives both driver and team a valuable opportunity to see where the Polish star rates against the current field of Grand Prix drivers.

Formula One team’s are allowed four days of in season testing, of which two must be completed by ‘rookie’ drivers with less than two Grand Prix starts to their name. Despite having not sat in a Formula One car since preseason testing ahead of the 2011 season, Kubica is still deemed to be a regular driver and therefore not eligible for one of the two remaining rookie spots in the test.

To get round the restriction from the FIA, Renault have elected to remove one of their regular drivers from the testing line up, giving the drive and important seat time to Kubica, a signal of the level of seriousness applied to the evaluation of Kubica’s current ability behind the wheel of a Grand Prix car.

To see Robert Kubica one again step into a Formula One car in an official capacity will be an emotional moment for many in the Grand Prix paddock, and could just possibly be the first step in seeing one of the sports great talents return to the Grand Prix grid in 2018…

Check out the Formula One Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment for more F1 related news and chat.

Happy to hear Kubica will be given a chance in a modern F1 car? Can the driver still deliver the goods in your opinion? At 32, is it too late to pick up in Formula One? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Another step closer to replacing Palmer.

Meh.

And mmmmmmmmmmmmeh.

This is not about whether an existing driver gets replaced, it's about primarily the really exciting prospect of a genuinely competitive, talented driver returning to the grid. Kubica never 'lost' his seat, he didn't fade away. He had an opportunity he absolutely deserved - to be world champion - taken away from him through bad luck.

Certainly this step indicates probably intentions of Renault to review their driver options for next year but I'm sure it's a process most teams go through.

As for Jolyon Palmer, had he not been British, had he not been Dr JP's boy, I'm not sure I'd even have noticed his tenure in F1 so far. I acknowledge he's had some bad luck, but, I don't know, he hasn't compared well to Nico Hulkenberg. I'm not sure if there's a path ahead in F1 for him now.

He'll have to go back to putting in (very expensive) personal appearances at his Dad's corporate days.

Bazooka_Joe

Best of the worst, sometimes worst of the worst.
This is getting to be a proper blockbuster Hollywood material. Just imagine this story well told with good actors, the drama of accident, titanic recovery and that happy end. Excellent example to show everyone that success can be possible even after such accident.

Well done Robert for such hard work getting back here and hopefully you'll have your chance to fight again for the F1 crown. Good luck!

D

Deleted member 130869

• Deleted member 130869

This is getting to be a proper blockbuster Hollywood material. Just imagine this story well told with good actors, the drama of accident, titanic recovery and that happy end. Excellent example to show everyone that success can be possible even after such accident.

Well done Robert for such hard work getting back here and hopefully you'll have your chance to fight again for the F1 crown. Good luck!

It's clearly got to be a Leonardo di Caprio and Vin Diesel movie

Come on people its just another F1 Stunt show ,
yes he was very talented driver and still is in some aspects , at the time was my number 1 driver in F1 to watch ,
but looking at the state of his arm and been a realist , yes id love to see him come back like the rest of us , he be welcomed with open arms , class act through and through ,

he has not a cat in hell chance of been that fit to race at the top in F1 these drivers are hardcore fitness and it takes fitness to drive these cars , he just cant compete at the very top .

Come on people its just another F1 Stunt show ,
yes he was very talented driver and still is in some aspects , at the time was my number 1 driver in F1 to watch ,
but looking at the state of his arm and been a realist , yes id love to see him come back like the rest of us , he be welcomed with open arms , class act through and through ,

he has not a cat in hell chance of been that fit to race at the top in F1 these drivers are hardcore fitness and it takes fitness to drive these cars , he just cant compete at the very top .

That's what the test is for to see if he can do it in a 2017 car. He has already proved he can drive a 2012 car so why not?

That's what the test is for to see if he can do it in a 2017 car. He has already proved he can drive a 2012 car so why not?
whats the difference between a 2012 car and a 2017 car ?
please tell me , because the fitness levels are roughly the exact same .

whats the difference between a 2012 car and a 2017 car ?
please tell me , because the fitness levels are roughly the exact same .

Perhaps it's to see if he can use all the systems that are on a 2017 at the same time as lapping at speed also I presume if there is any chance Renault would love to get him in the car ASAP.

Perhaps it's to see if he can use all the systems that are on a 2017 at the same time as lapping at speed also I presume if there is any chance Renault would love to get him in the car ASAP.
ERS and DRS nothing major , unless pressing buttons is too much and looking at the display .

ERS and DRS nothing major , unless pressing buttons is too much and looking at the display .
We shall find out soon enough if this is a show or legit, I cannot see Renault throwing money and time at something that is not likely to happen. Just hope there will be some footage of him driving that 2017 bad boy. Imagine making a return at Spa, that would be incredible. From nearly losing his arm to driving a modern F1 car amazing stuff.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 78 18.9%
  • €151-500

Votes: 116 28.1%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 67 16.2%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 40 9.7%
  • €3001-5000