F1 2016 Issue: Game freezing every now and then

F1 2016 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi guys!

I have bad freezing for almost a full second every now and then with my GTX 1080. Cant see a FPS spike in the afterburner when this happens.. It is so annoying, the pciture and the sound are freezing and the game thinks it runs normally so you are almost every time when this happens crashing..

Anyone else having this?

Hi, i have ssd in my system. The ssd is split in two partitions. On the first partition win is installed. This partition had by default paging on. The size was automatically determined by windows. The game is installed on the second partition of the ssd. This partition had no paging. So now i changed my settings to manually paging files for both partitions. I did a quick race on spa and had no freezes any more. Tomorrow I will test further.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. So far it seems to work ;)

The rule about setting swap based on ram applies only if you have a minimum amount of memory. These days, everyone has at least 16 so it's not really applicable. I manually set mine greater than the amount the system recommended as a test and it didn't stop the stutters. I run the steam checker frequently because it's a habit from running apps that have lots of third-party mods. My personal belief is that it happens when the game needs to write replay data to disk. But I would have thought SSD users would be fast enough that they wouldn't see the stuttering.

Same dip in gpu to 0% for about a second, multiple times per lap.

Tried to use benchmark mode in the video settings in the game with rain session to try all sorts of different options. stuttering still happens about 5-10 times per lap.

Still no fix with latest nvidia 372.70 drivers and v1.2.3 of game. Frustrated.

This may be just coincidence, but I tried increasing the swap file size in Windows 10, and I ran several quick races without seeing the stutter. I'd like someone else to test that to see if it has any palliative effect. I started out the evening with the swapfile at 4G and got stuttering on the second lap of a quick race at Bahrain. I then changed swap to a minimum of 6G (with a max of 9G), rebooted and ran several five lappers. On none of them did I see any stuttering. The swap (aka Pagefile) can be found at Control Panel | System | Advanced system settings | Advanced | Performance Settings | Advanced | Virtual Memory Change | Custom Size. Set some Initial and Maximum size and Ok out. I used Initial at 6G and Max at 9G. My totally unfounded theory has to do with F1 writing the replay file. I think it chunks everything into RAM/swap and then has to do a disk write and that's what's bogging it down. I know, writing to swap should be the same as writing to disk since they are the same operation. As I said, it's an unfounded theory. Just to be sure everyone understands, I made these changes AFTER today's (8/30/16) patch was applied. I saw the stutter after the patch.

UPDATE. Well, I didn't get any stutters in any of the quick races I ran. Then I went into practice from the quick race menu and got the stuttering back. But it only happened once a session instead of every few laps. So I don't know. But I guess that was obvious, wasn't it?

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back