F1 2016 Issue: Game freezing every now and then

F1 2016 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi guys!

I have bad freezing for almost a full second every now and then with my GTX 1080. Cant see a FPS spike in the afterburner when this happens.. It is so annoying, the pciture and the sound are freezing and the game thinks it runs normally so you are almost every time when this happens crashing..

Anyone else having this?

I'm getting freezes very occasionally, but mine last for about 10-15 secs. First time it happened I thought the game had crashed, but no error message popped up. And I was about to force the program to close when it just started working again, and didn't do it again that playing session. I've had the same thing happen twice since then

If I'm not mistaken this issue was in the previous games and it was caused by a replay file getting written.

For example mine is here C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\Codemasters\F1 2016\replay

Try changing the replay.pbf to read only.

I could be wrong though my memory is shocking haha

I got my brand spanking new AMD RX Nitro 480 today and put it in tonight. I was able to go back to running triples on High and getting 50+ FPS. I was showing my wife the Benchmark, and it froze for a couple of seconds during that run. At the end it said the max FPS was 70 something and the min was 4 fps. I have an I7 3770 with 24GB of RAM and there's 8GB of memory on the 480. I went from an R9 380 to the RX 480 (which is not much of an upgrade, according to Tom's Hardware hierarchy chart), but I think it runs a lot smoother. I could only run a single monitor on the R9 at Medium. I suspect there's some background task going on that's making it laggy at times...probably an NSA thing.

I'm seeing this on an AMD R9 380 as well, but I'm spending all of my time trying to get things the way I want them. It's taken me several hours to get the G27 adjusted the way I want it and now I'm going to start working on the graphics. I'm pushing my hardware though, running triples. Interestingly, I don't see much of an FPS difference between Ultra, High and Medium (it sticks around 40) but I do see much more stuttering the higher I push the graphics At this point, I think it's a matter of turning off the stuff I really don't need. For a few minutes, I turned off Eyefinity and tried it on a single monitor. I don't want to do that, though.
I also have a R9 380 and the performances are worse than I expected. To have a stable 60fps I have to set graphics on medium + something in high on 1080p single monitor. How it's possible? I can run Assetto Corsa almost maxed out and Codies games are known to have a nice optimisation out of the box (F1 2015 was much much lighter than this).
Any tips?
Thank guys

If I'm not mistaken this issue was in the previous games and it was caused by a replay file getting written.

For example mine is here C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\Codemasters\F1 2016\replay

Try changing the replay.pbf to read only.

I could be wrong though my memory is shocking haha

Thanks for the reminder - I will try this.

I have a wild idea here that just might work. I'm at work so I can't really test it. Basically, redirect the replay file to nul using a symbolic link. In the directory where the replay.pbf is located, delete replay.pbf and then from the command line (probably as administrator) do a: mklink replay.pbf nul . This creates a symbolic link that redirects everything written to replay.pbf to nul and reports back to the program that the write was successful. But nothing is every written.

UPDATE: This doesn't work, sadly though I think it should. If you touch the replay file and restart the game, it deletes it and creates a new one...sort of just like a temp file should work.

UPDATE 2: After spending additional time on this, it appears that the game creates a new codemasters\f12016\replay\replay.pbf time each time it starts. If you delete as far up as the codemasters file, it will create the entire path. If they had merely reused the replay.pbf file each time, the symbolic link would have worked, I think. I would really like it if Codemasters would allow us to turn off the replays if we don't want them. I tried guessing at some launch parameters but that's kind of futile because you don't know if they have any or what they could be. I

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back