PS4 Is the grass physics poor on PC as well?

apex11

@Simberia
What the hell happens when you go onto the grass? Physics are way way off, is it the same on PC as well?
I'm still torn if its as great as some people think on the tarmac, but the grass physics are just whack and makes me mistrust the rest of it.

What the hell happens when you go onto the grass? Physics are way way off, is it the same on PC as well?
I'm still torn if its as great as some people think on the tarmac, but the grass physics are just whack and makes me mistrust the rest of it.

you're funny, but seriously would you like to elaborate your comment to give it some meaning?

Whys it funny, the physics should be as good when you hit the grass as the rest of it? I'm simply asking is it the same on PC with the car acting weirdly on the grass.
The car should act like a normal car would on tarmac but instead on grass. How is that hard to understand?

Whys it funny, the physics should be as good when you hit the grass as the rest of it? I'm simply asking is it the same on PC with the car acting weirdly on the grass.
The car should act like a normal car would on tarmac but instead on grass. How is that hard to understand?
Now I'm curious, how do you think it should behave...?
It is simplified but you hit the grass with one wheel, it has way less traction, to the spin you go. Depending on situation, power, tyre load, dif, type of car, etc it is possible to save or snap and you are passenger behind the wheel. Even in real life grass is just different surface with less grip... If you don't consider grass blocking radiator intake and other non tyre physics related things

Last edited:
It seems there is some sine wave trigger going on when going on grass. I think the code for generating the grass surface could be improved. (more randomness, grip level actually varies and isn't set to some default "grass" setting, more bumps and dips in the grass etc). Same applies for gravel traps, where you can't really dig your car in. In all honesty rF2 could be a good reference for Kunos to improve this.

It is a bit ridiculous that they add that "sine wave" to the grass and sand. It's the first thing I change when I setup the surfaces on my tracks. Cars don't go up and down a "sine wave" when they drive on the grass in real life.

I think they add it to make the grass "rough" but it's so unnatural I think they should ditch it all together.

So the answer is yes it is bad on PC too.

It seems there is some sine wave trigger going on when going on grass. I think the code for generating the grass surface could be improved. (more randomness, grip level actually varies and isn't set to some default "grass" setting, more bumps and dips in the grass etc). Same applies for gravel traps, where you can't really dig your car in. In all honesty rF2 could be a good reference for Kunos to improve this.

This ^. You get onto grass and the car just is no where near like how a car is on dry grass, the astro turf on sliverstone is wrong also, cars don't just do 360 spins on grass when you try to turn round at 5 mph, and it feels unnatural on wrong and you can say "well stay on the track" but theres no rules about testing the limits of cars during practice when there's plenty of run off.
As an aside i also noticed you hear your tyres 'squeal' when on grass!??
It's probably done for multi player as a very simple basic way to stop people cheating, its annoying.
Also for a so called sim the damage seems all wrong too, but thats another thread maybe..

Most likely when you had an accident and ended up on grass, your tyres are over heated so they become harder to control, even when you rejoin the track, drive with care until they are normalized.

No and anyhow, no way of knowing even if there is a working heat cycle as no info/telemetry etc, even ToCA race driver 3 had telemetry and heat cycle!
Right now i don't even buy that the tyres are heating up or cold (on console) as no info to back any of this up, its not an excuse to say well its not there because its a 'sim' as the fuel use bar is there, so why no tyre heat/degradation?
Why no telemetry?

No and anyhow, no way of knowing even if there is a working heat cycle as no info/telemetry etc, even ToCA race driver 3 had telemetry and heat cycle!
Right now i don't even buy that the tyres are heating up or cold (on console) as no info to back any of this up, its not an excuse to say well its not there because its a 'sim' as the fuel use bar is there, so why no tyre heat/degradation?
Why no telemetry?
on PC you can see tyre temps and other telemetry, with plugin even export most channels to MoTec .. not sure how apps works on consoles ..

like this :)
well imagine overheated slicks :)

Proved my point, AC is nothing like this. It's like everything goes completely odd and when the rest of it is pretty good (though i wish it was as good as the fans said pre release), its a little jarring.

Funny how PC has telemetry and consoles not then? Does the tyres deg and heat even work on consoles? How could we really know? In real life we check the tyres for wear or test for heat with a tool, why is that not in a sim?

Proved my point, AC is nothing like this. It's like everything goes completely odd and when the rest of it is pretty good (though i wish it was as good as the fans said pre release), its a little jarring.

Funny how PC has telemetry and consoles not then? Does the tyres deg and heat even work on consoles? How could we really know? In real life we check the tyres for wear or test for heat with a tool, why is that not in a sim?
physics should be 1:1 with PC version ... you can always go to pit after lap and see your temps in garage menu (imagine engeneer is testing them with a tool :) ) .. I`m not saying AC is the best of all in physics but how it works on grass feels pretty much just as simplified as in other sims ..

Last edited:
physics should be 1:1 with PC version ... you can always go to pit after lap and see your temps in garage menu (imagine engeneer is testing them with a tool :) ) .. I`m not saying AC is the best of all in physics but how it works on grass feels pretty much just as simplified as in other sims ..

indeed and it doesn't feel nearly as bad as some people make it sound here

That's kentucky bluegrass. AC simulates ryegrass which is more dense and has finer leaf texture, much less grip.

I don't really know what you mean but there are certainly other games out there that do a much poorer job of simulating car behaviour on grass. Having said that, i do think the grass is too forgiving in AC. You can quite happily put a wheel on the grass in a high speed zone with very minimal consequences. Obviously it's very circumstantially dependent, but in general it feels like the grass is a little too forgiving.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.