PS4 Is the grass physics poor on PC as well?

apex11

@Simberia
What the hell happens when you go onto the grass? Physics are way way off, is it the same on PC as well?
I'm still torn if its as great as some people think on the tarmac, but the grass physics are just whack and makes me mistrust the rest of it.

One person says it is too slick, another says it is too forgiving.....simracers :D

Well no, in fact I'm saying the same, stick a tyre on the grass its pretty much OK in straight line, then once you are on the grass you can try to turn car and it all goes a bit weird. It's simple just try it, it might just be me, but pretty sure its not.
Just drive onto grass, stop, turn car round.

I don't get it really. I mean it's interesting to see a discussion about grass physics but there are more important things that come to my mind when talking about racing simulation. Grass physics might be simplified but it get's the job done. Driving with slicks on grass is basically like ice skating. You have to be careful and the physics are good enough to tell you this.

No and anyhow, no way of knowing even if there is a working heat cycle as no info/telemetry etc, even ToCA race driver 3 had telemetry and heat cycle!
Right now i don't even buy that the tyres are heating up or cold (on console) as no info to back any of this up, its not an excuse to say well its not there because its a 'sim' as the fuel use bar is there, so why no tyre heat/degradation?
Why no telemetry?

Now where have I heard that before... :whistling:

Last edited:
So I fired AC today for a test and with Audi r8 road version no issues on grass. Unless you are crazy with throttle you can normally drive on it, steer, etc, as expected. If you rev to much, you get tyre spin and fun is starting.
We are used to drive in high revs in games and forget that in our cars we spend most time between 1800-2500 rpm ... So than if you rev over 4000 in few hundred HP rwd car you might be surprised that things are happening

Right from the AC forum, quoting Casillo:

"A couple of points:

1) Grass in AC is way too grippy.. it was a game design decision taken at the beginning. it's not surprising temps can be a little higher than expected.
2) Some years ago I was living in a house with a huge garden and grass everywhere. There was a big storm and the day after the owner was trying to get her car out from the wet grass. She kept flooring the throttle spinning the tyres and going nowhere.. there was smoke coming out from the tyres.. there you go, wet grass can melt steel beams."

link to the original post by Lord Kunos
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/tire-spin-on-grass-worms-fast.33264/#post-700402

...You get onto grass and the car just is no where near like how a car is on dry grass, the astro turf on sliverstone is wrong also, cars don't just do 360 spins on grass when you try to turn round at 5 mph, and it feels unnatural on wrong...

This has been my gripe with the game since the beginning. Granted i use auto-clutch since my clutch is quite crap and i don't have a shifter, so maybe this has something to do with it. But the second you start to rev a little high, boom 360 out of nowhere, you cross a magic threshold and even if you have already let go of the throttle, you still do the full 360. Just seems unnatural.

"A couple of points:

1) Grass in AC is way too grippy.. it was a game design decision taken at the beginning. it's not surprising temps can be a little higher than expected.
2) Some years ago I was living in a house with a huge garden and grass everywhere. There was a big storm and the day after the owner was trying to get her car out from the wet grass. She kept flooring the throttle spinning the tyres and going nowhere.. there was smoke coming out from the tyres.. there you go, wet grass can melt steel beams."

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/tire-spin-on-grass-worms-fast.33264/#post-700402
All said and done.
/ thread

@RMR1 This adresses the overheating tires issue, which the OP didn't complain about, but ok. All said and done.

We understand that it's a design decision, we just don't understand why and find the outcome of most spins a little excessive. Obviously this is not going to change anything, some are bothered by it, some are not.

"A couple of points:

So wait, is he suggesting the grass is wet? I think most people understand that if there has been rain, the ground doesnt dry out straight away. So if the ground was wet the grass was going to be wet as well once you start spinning wheels.

Seems like a typical reaction. "You guys dont understand the basics" whilst not addressing the first complaint.

Yea well, eh who cares, it is obvious they have no intention of changing this, so they just say whatever. It's not a big deal anyway, but it is something that isn't hard to remedy. We ll just live with it.

Well having downloaded the new patch I can honestly say its improved the game heaps, still plenty of issues but the screen tearing was awful and finally got to have some descent time with the game now.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 372 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 515 39.0%