iRacing's Upcoming Releases

Yoeri Gijsen

Premium
Let's keep a little thread going about what iRacing has in store for us in the (near) future. Some things have been announced, some targets have been rumoured and who knows what you have picked up in the darkest recesses of the net...

Below I will put up some things I find or found. Please post any news, rumours or hints below so one of the moderators can update this thread.

Cars
  • McLaren MP4-12C GT3 - Next up, but time unspecified
  • Lotus 49 - Next up, but time unspecified
  • RUF Rt12R - October 2012
  • Honda Civic BTCC - May/July 2013
  • Honda HSV-010 - May/July 2013
  • NASCAR Sprint Cup 2013 models - TBA
Tracks
  • Auto Club Speedway - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Circuit de Gilles Villeneuve - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Hongaroring - Plans
  • Kansas Speedway - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Lukas Oil Raceway - In production
  • Rockingham Speedway - October 2012
  • Interlagos - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Miller Motorsports Park - To be scanned
  • New Jersey Motorsports Park - To be scanned
  • Long Beach - 2013
  • Oran Park Raceway - October 2012
  • Tsukuba Circuit - In production
  • Willow Springs - Scanned but on hold
Features
  • Crew chief & spotter functionality - February 2013 at the earliest, but probably later
  • Driver swaps - February 2013 at the earliest, but probably later
  • DirectX 11 and x64 support - Long term project
  • Dirt and oil build up on windscreen - Side project
  • Enhanced sounds (DirectSound > XAudio2) - Groundwork in next build; the rest later
  • Exhaust fire - Side project
  • Teams - February 2013 at the earliest, but probably later
  • Time transition - Long term and after DirectX 11
Your turn!

I love Montreal and Interlagos!
I'm not a F1 fan, but I love to see that there are finally more proper F1 tracks are coming to iRacing. That is really good for the F1 car and the DWC.

Can't wait to get my hands on the McLaren GT3.
Now time to read that article :p

I am just going to put this next one out there so – hopefully — I’ll stop seeing threads regarding BMW in our forums about why we have our heads in places that are technically not possible to reach (as far as I know, anyway). For awhile now we have had ongoing conversations with BMW about bringing some of their cars to the service and I actually have a first copy of the contract on my desk. I am cautiously optimistic that this will happen but no promises will be made by any means. Quite frankly I have indigestion just by typing that…
Obviously you are doing something wrong as other companies get the license FOR FREE.

Love these conclusions :)
Where does it say that they are paying or what kind of deal they have with BMW?

But if they get BMW I doubt I would ever drive an other car again! :)
Finally a car that matches my steering wheel :-D

iRacing is in Montreal to scan the track!
A0RXA3FCMAEsOl4.jpg

RT @iracingmyers: #iRacing scan team gets to work at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve today! http://pic.twitter.com/lDB470NW

If they want to do it correctly, it should let you choose which race you get points from. Beforehand, not afterwards.

So basically, you can run as many races as you want, but you'll have to go into 1 race to get the points. And if that goes wrong, well, bad luck.

People who race a lot don't get an advantage, people gunning for the championship can run more races without hurting their points. Everyone wins.

Because if I can race 20 races per week, I have a huge adventage over other person that can race 2 races per week.

Scoring a great result it's more difficult if you have 2 chances than if you have 20, that's why averaging is needed.

I can be a totally unconsistent driver, crash 19 times but make a great result and make 250 points, and have more points than you that maybe you finished the 2 races you made in P3

Won't be fair, but sadly I think it's where this is going :(

But you still will only have 2 or 3 SOF races.
So 17 of those will automatically be way less even if you win them.

I think some are expecting a little bit too much that all races will go official from here on.
I think most people simply can´t race more even if they wanted, thus there will be only a few races that contains the big points.

If only 1 race is counted you can drive every race like crazy. If you have the chance to race 10 times a week and you push like crazy in every race there is a chance that you 1 of those races will give you a great result while crashing in the other 9.

That is not fair to people who only have 1 or 2 races a week and need to make sure they drive safe and secure to get the needed points

22:15 BST here in UK.

Just been to log in to iRacing to have a perusal of the forums and got this.........

Sim updates and Zolder!
We plan to be back in about two hours. (7pm EDT)-(11pm UTC)-(9am AEDT)

Looks like I'll have a new track tomorrow, lol.

:D

Shawn Nash said:
Several weeks ago I mentioned in the forums that we had spent a significant amount of engineering resources creating a 64-bit version of the iRacing simulator, and that it was about to enter alpha testing. Since then we have received a lot of questions and worries from customers regarding the impact of this conversion. We want to assure everyone that customers with 32-bit systems should not be alarmed. Hopefully this post will help put a lot of the questions to rest.

First of all, let me provide some motivation for why we tackled this complex and difficult conversion. Most PC’s these days feature amazing 64-bit processors, and they also ship with a lot more system memory (RAM) than they did just a few years ago. The percentage of iRacing customers with 64-bit processors and operating systems is rapidly increasing. While 32-bit applications often run fine on 64-bit processors, they run somewhat handicapped compared to native 64-bit applications:

- 64-bit applications can utilize more system RAM than 32-bit applications can utilize – a primary benefit of the extra bits (64 vs. 32) is that more memory may now be utilized by a single application (if it is 64-bit).

- 64-bit applications can talk directly to the native 64-bit operating system, rather than going through a 32-bit to 64-bit mode translation (and back again) for every interaction. So there is slightly less performance overhead when calling into lower level systems including Direct3D, DirectSound, and the windows kernel – which are already 64-bit if you have a 64-bit operating system and processor.

- 64-bit applications have access to about double the number of internal processor registers, which often speeds up programs by helping reduce the number of memory accesses required to perform a task. The extra registers also reduce the overhead of function calls through an improved register based calling convention.

- 64-bit applications have guaranteed access to most of the modern processor extensions that have accumulated in 32-bit processors over the years, but which were not always available on all 32-bit processors. This makes it easier and more cost effective to use these extensions for optimization purposes.

Given the above benefits, the number of customers with 64-bit systems, and the fact that our simulation and our race servers were already beginning to bump up against the 32-bit memory limitation, we realized it was just a matter of time until we would need to convert our simulation to run native 64-bit. Although we knew it was a large complex project given our code base, and that it would be accomplished by delaying other features, we felt it needed to be done, and it looked to us like the sooner the better. Fortunately, it actually went a bit quicker than expected. But, we still have a long way to go to unlock the full potential of modern 64-bit processors as time and priorities permit.

Now, on to the main reason for this post, which is to provide some information in response to some questions and worries we have been receiving:

- Customers with 32-bit systems should not be alarmed. In the future we may stop supporting the 32-bit version, but right now we have far too many customers with 32-bit systems to do anything like that. We would give plenty of advance notice if we were contemplating such a drastic change.

- The 64-bit version still needs to pass alpha and beta testing. There is a possibility we may need to delay its release if some major problem is identified. At this time it’s still looking pretty solid for release.

- If we do release the 64-bit version, it will automatically install for everyone along with the 32-bit version in the system package update. So all customers will automatically have both versions of the executable. At this time, all of the simulation data is identical and shared between the versions (cars, tracks, replays, etc.), so the overhead for the 64-bit is just a couple of extra executables residing in the iRacing install directory.

- We still have not worked out the final details of how each customer will select to run either the 32-bit or 64-bit version of the simulator. But, we have designed the service so that if a customer accidently selects the 64-bit version on a 32-bit platform nothing bad will happen. We will detect this error when the simulation is to be launched and the service will automatically fall back to the 32-bit version. One can’t pick the wrong thing and have it not work.

- We may decide to set it up so that by default everyone is set to run the 64-bit version, and to just fallback to the 32-bit version if they are on a 32-bit platform. But, if we do this, and a customer is encountering an issue with the 64-bit version, or they just like the 32-bit version better for some reason, there will be an option somewhere (possibly in the member site account settings) to allow a customer with a 64-bit system to force the service to launch the 32-bit version for them.

- At this time we don’t know of any racing advantages in one mode vs. the other, but we have identified that there can be small differences in ride heights in the garage with the same car setup, so we haven’t ruled out the possibility of some sort of advantage one way or the other. The 64-bit version uses different floating point instructions, different floating point precisions, and vastly different instruction sequences, so complex physics equations obtain results with different rounding errors in them between the two modes. It’s unavoidable.

- Currently there are no feature differences between the versions, except fmod sound support has been removed from the 64-bit version. We are planning to remove fmod as soon as possible from the 32-bit version as well, so this may no longer be a difference if/when 64-bit support is released.

- At this time, based on preliminary testing, it appears that the 64-bit versions runs about the same speed as the 32-bit version, as measured via frames per second, for many systems. We’ve yet to optimize specifically for x64 and some of the benefits of 64-bit are offset by 64-bit negatives. Nonetheless, a native 64-bit version of the simulation is in alpha testing, and seems to be performing quite well, at least on par with the 32-bit version.

source
http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/2055348.page

edit:
And a reaction of Tony Gardner about the release
Our hope is to roll out with coming build but as Shawn said, still in full testing mode so not making any promises until comfortable. So when it is ready which COULD be coming build toward end of October.

So what are the advantages really?

If it runs exactly the same with the same software then what are the advantage?

This iis a good question. I'm afraid I'm very cynical about pc hardware and associated o/s manufacturers pushing stuff the initial value of which is dubious. Maybe I shouldn't be. The early adopters do mean that eventually the software catches up with hardware and late adopters like me can pick up the benefits for a lot less cost. And the early adopters seem to get pleasure from boasting about their 64 bit 16 GB six-core processored PCs even though they use to them to run 32 bit programs which require less than 2GB and which are either essentially single threaded or only designed to exploit two cores.

So I think in the short term it means the early adopters can feel their expensive hardware is being used even if it doesn't actually run any better, and in the longer term we will all benefit as eventually the 2GB "limit" will become an issue for iRacing.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 113 88.3%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 22 17.2%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 21 16.4%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 47 36.7%