iRacing 2016 Season 2 Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iracing Audi R8 LMS GT3.jpg

iRacing.com have released a sizable new build for the popular online only racing simulator, containing a host of updated content, new and improved features including DX11 support and the inclusion of four brand new cars from Audi, Mazda, Renault and Mercedes Benz.

Perhaps of significant interest to fans of the simulation is the new DirectX 11 beta executable, aimed at improving the rendering processes to reduce CPU bottlenecking and hopefully enhance the fluidity of the gaming experience. It should be noted that both DX9 and DX11 launch options are available and the graphical settings for each version are independently stored within the game.

iRacing advise users to note that when setting up any application overrides in your GPU’s device driver’s settings to take care to set them for the correct executable name(s).

Also of interest in the latest version of the simulator is the inclusion of a new 'Time of Day' feature that contains options for both morning and late afternoon on all tracks and race modes within the game.

Alongside a vast number of changes and fixes to a wide variety of cars within the sim includes the addition of visual dirt/grass/debris pickup on car both player and opponent tyres. Now when a car goes off track and gathers grass or gravel debris the visual dirtying of the tyres is slowly cleaned off as your car circulates the remainder of the race based on surface type, grip and speed of the vehicle. This is a very cool physics based feature that has been available since the previous season build but is now visually represented within the game.

With a changelog far too sizable to add to this article, the 2016 season 2 build is sure to be a significant upgrade to the simulation that continues to grow and improve with each new update.

iracing Mercedes AMG GT3.jpg iracing Audi R8 LMS GT3.jpg iracing MX-5 Cup.jpgiracing Formula Renault 2.0.jpg

Have you tried the new build yet? How does it compare to previous versions? Which new car are you looking forward to most? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
So, were you seriously thinking about the 2 cars competing together ?! seriously...

I knew the performance between the two was going to be close, and if people on the forums are correct, the Renault's lap times are around +3 to 5% greater than the reworked Star Mazda.

I'd rather them plop in a weight penalty or some other mod to the SM so it can compete with the RF 2.0 (an easier to drive car for those stepping up from the Skippy), instead of trying to fill out a new championship series that's going to require SM racers to BUY a new car that is a step down in speed and overall less interesting.

According to iRacer.info, here are the participation numbers from 2016 Season 1:

Total Participation (Average Week Participation) : Series
5468 (1692) : Skip Barber
2740 (782) : Star Mazada
297 (60) : Lotus 49
542 (132) : Lotus 79
1969 (618) : IndyCar
917 (289) : F1

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 205301

...and you forgot the Lotus 49 I was driving this season...
That's not a bad idea, but for leagues only...(to mix FR and SM), but, the idea is to bias this car level by taste : European would prefears FR, and americans, and those interested by ovals : SM)

My bad, added in the Lotus 49.

Nothing wrong with FR. It's good to have new cars.
The FMazda is around since the beginning, so, time for fresh air. IMO.

The tweaks made to the Star Mazda are apparently the most dramatic in a longtime; aero has significantly shifted to the front and people are have trouble keeping the rear planted. I'll take it for a spin tonight and see for myself.

My FPS have improved with DX11, but no real visual change yet. Think they said that we wouldn't see much difference until they moved away from DX9!! The Global MX5 though is a lot more enjoyable than the previous MK3 Cup car/roadster :). Feels more alive and is slightly quicker too :). Very tempted to get the FR2.0 as well!!

Re DX11 - my understanding is that you can get more fps with DX9 if you are talking about one car circulating, but, when you add more objects (cars, smoke, etc) DX9 will lose fps whereas DX11 will maintain fps. When DX9 has an fps advantage the eye cannot tell anyway, so the initial advantage is moot. Many reasons to go DX11 and little to no downside vs DX9 as far as I know.

If you read all the info about it, there is a way to change the resolution by going into one of the .ini files. 720p is only the default resolution.

I did see that in the notes, but wasn't sure how far you could go with both res and fps within the .ini file. Considering how easy Shadowplay is and how well it works was wondering if it is on par or if anyone had even used it. I thought about diving in, but ended up driving the FR2 around Donington instead. Maybe next time.

hmm. I almost have a respectable sim setup and im considering iracing.. In its current state, how does it compare to other sims Physics and ffb wise? I know iracing is the king when it come to multiplayer. But how where does it fall in the other aspects?

That is such the loaded question for sure. You'll likely get responses from its the worst thing ever, to highly accurate nothing better.

For me, it's FFB is very detailed but can be subtle depending on car and depending on what you're used to. Physics? Well, I think that term gets tossed around a lot - but I don't find iRacing's physics to be off at all. Heat in the tires, track surfaces, loss of grip, surface temps, elevation, and more all affect the cars in a believably realistic way to me. Same in RF2 and AC, they all seem believable.

I find iRacing overall to be highly accurate and consistent. You have to stay pretty focused throughout the drive, and you need to know your car very well and how it changes throughout the race. Marry that to the perfection of their circuits and I was sold.

Last edited:
Hi Greg,
Just took the iRacing plunge myself! Compared to other titles it is not a cheap exercise (especially with the South Pacific peso - $AU), but once you get your head around that it is all upside. Fritz provided a pretty good summary of iRacing. A personal observation, I really like Automobilista, rF2 and AC, they all offer something special and offer "serious" fun to those inclined that way.

But iRacing seems to take "serious fun" to a new level. Sure, early you have to build your iRating, so you have to more cautious about running off the track, hitting other cars, etc, i.e., be a more accurate driver. But what takes it to the next level (IMHO) is the attention to detail on the implementation of trail braking, power-off oversteer, car balance, etc that all titles have in degree, but iRacing makes you consider these techniques more deeply and apply them at a finer level.

Hope this makes sense!

Hi Greg,
Just took the iRacing plunge myself! Compared to other titles it is not a cheap exercise (especially with the South Pacific peso - $AU), but once you get your head around that it is all upside. Fritz provided a pretty good summary of iRacing. A personal observation, I really like Automobilista, rF2 and AC, they all offer something special and offer "serious" fun to those inclined that way.

But iRacing seems to take "serious fun" to a new level. Sure, early you have to build your iRating, so you have to more cautious about running off the track, hitting other cars, etc, i.e., be a more accurate driver. But what takes it to the next level (IMHO) is the attention to detail on the implementation of trail braking, power-off oversteer, car balance, etc that all titles have in degree, but iRacing makes you consider these techniques more deeply and apply them at a finer level.

Hope this makes sense!
yes makes perfect sense. Im not opposed to spending money on something I enjoy. Heck ive spent over 100 dollars easily in raceroom experience. Its all about what I get out of it. No regrets. Im looking forward to the challenge

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back