Intel 13th Gen CPU's

PresentMon

Intel-supported open source tool sorts and displays CPU vs GPU frame generation
Gap between yellow(GPU busy) and blue is CPU bottlenecking:
gap.jpg

Last edited:
I've been reading that the 14th gen is looking like a whopping 4-8% improvement in performance for gaming at least for the 13900K vs 14900K. So even though it is a direct drop in for my MB, I think I'll skip this generation.

I may just wait until the 50 series GPU's get here in 2025 before touching my Gaming computer again.

So maybe 2025

Gaming computer gets 16th gen and dev box gets hand me down 13th gen and I find a good home for my 9th gen.

Last edited:
It looks like 2025 will be the year that DDR6 will be released for Motherboards and it is supposed to be at least twice as fast in terms of throughput. What i don't know is what the latency will be, but apparently they can run at even higher frequencies and draw less power.

So I'm starting to think that the stars will align in 2025 for a new MB, CPU, DRAM and 50 series GPU and for the next almost 2 years, it will be good to sit tight.

It looks like 2025 will be the year that DDR6 will be released for Motherboards and it is supposed to be at least twice as fast in terms of throughput. What i don't know is what the latency will be, but apparently they can run at even higher frequencies and draw less power.

So I'm starting to think that the stars will align in 2025 for a new MB, CPU, DRAM and 50 series GPU and for the next almost 2 years, it will be good to sit tight.
Hmm, that's the first I've even heard of DDR6.
Where did you read 2025? A quick search is suggesting that it'll debut (at crazy prices, I suspect) in 2026.
I'm still gearing up to make that big jump to 13th/14th gen and maybe DDR5, lol :)

Depends on the article you read. I saw it would be available commercially in 2025.

Of course if there many articles out there with some pointing at 2026, than maybe 2025 is an initial release with 2026 being actual availability.

Last edited:
From the info we have to this day, 14900K will be a very small upgrade from 13900K. Same amount of p-cores, same amount of e-cores, same amount of L3 cache. It's just a little higher clocks. so it'll probably just be like 4-8 % faster than a 13900K. Nothing really.

Most recent info indicates the 14700K will receive 4 more e-cores giving it a total of 12 e-cores instead of the 13700K's 8 e-cores. This will probably only matter in highly multi-threaded CPU benchmarks and some production software that takes advantage of tons of CPU threads. Having 20 cores instead of 16, not to mention those 4 extra cores being e-cores, will almost certainly have no real-world effect in 99.9% of games.

Some recent info indicates the 14600K will receive 2 more p-cores giving it a total of 8 p-cores instead of the 13600K's 6 p-cores. This can definitely have a real-world effect in games.

It still seems like the "true" 14th gen - Meteor Lake - will be skipped for desktop. This can change and hasn't been confirmed but this is what all the rumors, leaks, etc. are still indicating. That means that the next upgrade for desktop - after Raptor Lake Refresh - will be the much anticipated Arrow Lake. Arrow Lake is expected to make massive gains over Alder Lake & Raptor Lake. Even if Meteor Lake did/does come out for desktop, Arrow Lake is what most people were anticipating as it, not Meteor Lake, is supposed to be Intel's next real "big hitter".

Rumors indicate an Intel chip I'm personally really excited about. It's sadly rumored to not be available for a few years (2026-2027). It's called Beast Lake. It's supposed to be a very gaming-focused CPU. It's supposed to have very little to no e-cores and very little to no p-cores. Instead, it's supposed to mostly or only consist "extra large" p-cores (at least 8, maybe 10 or 12). The focus will be on way less cores but, the cores that are there, will be insanely powerful and clocked insanely high - not to mention, probably more L3 cache/core too.

Just googled Beast lake. Sounds great, but 3-4 years is a while to wait.

Adding e-Cores is a bit funny since I've turned my e-Cores off and find my P-Cores running at 5.5 GHz and allowed the internal cache to run a bit faster gives me smoother VR frame rates.

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up!
Rumors indicate an Intel chip I'm personally really excited about. It's sadly rumored to not be available for a few years (2026-2027). It's called Beast Lake. It's supposed to be a very gaming-focused CPU. It's supposed to have very little to no e-cores and very little to no p-cores. Instead, it's supposed to mostly or only consist "extra large" p-cores (at least 8, maybe 10 or 12). The focus will be on way less cores but, the cores that are there, will be insanely powerful and clocked insanely high - not to mention, probably more L3 cache/core too.
This sounds like Intel's answer to the X3D CPUs, taking the concept but making it a completely separate CPU series instead of just slapping massive cache on top of existing CPUs.
Very exciting indeed!

Last edited:

:coffee:
Ya, it's ridiculous. The 14900KS is also ridiculous. Some people are getting lower scores with the 14900KS than the 14900K because of the KS throttling due to overheating. I don't understand how that makes sense since the KS, even if throttling, should still be using lower voltages for the same speeds as the 14900K due to being a better sample / bin but, yup, totally ridiculous.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea