Input lag

Hi. I had this issue since years but never bothered, but now i want to find the reason for this input lag.

When I turn my wheel on the monitor there is a very small delay, but it is not in all games. in Assetto Corsa everything is fine, even with the fastest movements. But than in Raceroom this effect is very clearly seen on fast movements.

I have an standard WQHD 27" monitor with 60 Hz.

is it becoause of the low Hz? but than this effect would be in all games i think.

THX

As I understand it input lag as it is normally explained is not SW dependent but instead HW dependent.
Like gaming on a TV normally have more input lag than a fast gaming monitor.
The only thing I can think of conserning specially Raceroom is that there is lately introduced a few settings like some adjustable thr/brake return setting.

Upvote 0
When I turn my wheel on the monitor there is a very small delay, but it is not in all games. in Assetto Corsa everything is fine, even with the fastest movements. But than in Raceroom this effect is very clearly seen on fast movements.

In each game that lags, check the graphic settings to see if you enabled VSYNCH.

For Raceroom, turn off VSync in Video settings here:
1588521123835.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Running with VSync off on 60Hz monitor can be a visual challenge.
Try this instead.
1588522019517.png

Upvote 0
Hi. I had this issue since years but never bothered, but now i want to find the reason for this input lag.

I have an standard WQHD 27" monitor with 60 Hz.

is it becoause of the low Hz? but than this effect would be in all games i think.

THX

If you can, you may want to think about getting an upgrade to your monitor.

Upvote 0
tried it and yep it was the vsync. with Raceroom ist still very good playable but with ACC its not so good. if I want to upgrade for what do i have to look is it 144hz or freesync or combination of both. which feature is more important to prevent my problem. THX

Upvote 0
FreeSync associated I believe w/ AMD , GSync w/nVidia, so depends what you have...this feature of a graphics card helps reduce motion blurr.

But I think the faster refresh w/ new monitor is the key. And maybe you need to re-evaluate your components... MB/CPU/graphics card/ram, in addition to the monitor.

Upvote 0
I get this to some degree in most sims, but in ACC it's at a level where it is very distracting. Haven't found a solution for it. You can see this input lag in many sim racing videos and it's noticeable with direct drive wheels as well. I wish there was a way to fix it.

Upvote 0
tried it and yep it was the vsync. with Raceroom ist still very good playable but with ACC its not so good. if I want to upgrade for what do i have to look is it 144hz or freesync or combination of both. which feature is more important to prevent my problem. THX

Tell us which specific MB, CPU, and graphics card you have....

Upvote 0
Hi I have an Intel i7 4770 with 16 GB DDR3 Ram and a GTX 1070, i think its pretty fine for most games.

So it's not the 'K' version of that CPU? (K version can be OC'd quite a bit)

Ok, if it's not the i7-4770k... Then, on the CPU performance website, that processor is about 1/3rd of the way down (66.8%) in terms of performance, with 100% being the fastest. With that junior/senior in high-school class ranking, you wouldn't be getting into any top schools!!

I can't remember if race car sims are more CPU or graphics card limited... Whatever one is hurting you more is the one to replace first.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I tested my system and its fine. A K Version brings in best case 10% increase. A faster cpu wouldnt benefit because of the GPU. in all games my CPU is only loaded at max 75% so its not the bottleneck. my friend has also a 1070 with and a ryzen 5 3600x and the frames werent much more. so my question is do I need a monitor with more Hz or is a freesync/gsync also necessary

Upvote 0
I tested my system and its fine. A K Version brings in best case 10% increase. A faster cpu wouldnt benefit because of the GPU. in all games my CPU is only loaded at max 75% so its not the bottleneck. my friend has also a 1070 with and a ryzen 5 3600x and the frames werent much more. so my question is do I need a monitor with more Hz or is a freesync/gsync also necessary

You prob already did this, but did you check to see if you had an excessive number of things running in the background when you were sim'ing?

Upvote 0
I think you do not understand my problem. All the games run fine wirh over 100 fps and no stuttering. Its only that if i turn the vsync off to match the wheelmovement i see during the turns the Background interfering. So on track everything is smooth its only visial issue. So as i understand its because of the low hz of my display. My only question is do i need freesync/g sync. I want just want to have smoothness like with vsync on but without having it on

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Have you tried low latency On yet?
GSync compatible monitor just adjusts refresh rate to fps if it's below max. You still need to do something if fps exceeds that. Usually it's infamous VSync, at least this is what NVidia recommends There are some other crazy recepies like having fps limited just below max so GSync always active. The probem is that ACC, that you have issues with, does not work that well with FreSync with image stuttering when fps dip below max. And yes, it's laggy, partially because of the deferred rendering.

Upvote 0
1. st do do not like driving without the wheel. 2nd. if there is a visual lag, than it will be also in the movement of the car, so in extreme cases it might be a disadvantagee beeing not to precise.

in raceroom there is also a very small effect if vxync is off. so with 144hz monitor will it help to reduce it?

@Andrew: no didnt try it yet. will have a go in next days.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

The higher the refresh rate monitor the the less noticeable impact from VSync, considering you can maintain that FPS. Frametime is lower and this is what causing VSync lag, it has to wait for the next sync to flush the buffer.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering