Improvement Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendon Pywell

Bob's Track Builder
I don't know everything so if you have thought of a brilliant idea, then let me here about it.

I value everyone's opinion but please don't feel too bad if your idea doesn't make it into BTB. Ease of design, speed, development time, priorities and game engine abilities all need to be considered when I mark out what's in the next release. I already have over seven pages of features I want to add to BTB so perhaps yours is already on there. ;) I won't be listing it here as I don't want to influence your fresh thoughts, and nor do I wish to raise false hope. I only like to list things I know I can deliver.

Please don't post your same idea over and over again. No ones opinion is more important than anyone elses. ;)

- Select track nodes, then hold shift down while moving, so a pop-up window open asking for :
1. Detach current selected track nodes to a new track
2. Clone selection

WHY Huh ?! ---> Rebuild from scratch/frustration: I used the general track as an intersection rather than creating a new track for it. The result is that I doesn't have take care of that, and now I have a large portion of road already created which is very good to drive on but can't fix that problem. Without that feature, I will have to rebuilt that entire part from scratch or trying to draw on the already created one which is very bad and annoying work. Such feature would be very welcome please.

- Force Unload of a xpack currently used on a project by deleting all objects/textures on your track that are using that xpack.

WHY Huh ?! ---> I tried everything to uncheck a xpack that I don't want to use on my project but can't see where is that object ''still on'' my track. I've done a large lasso and delete e-v-e-r-y things (objects) but still can't uncheck it. I must have missed something with my eyes of the tiger...

Thanks for (hopefully) taking time to read...

Cheers !

for the xpacker: how about a 'reload model' button, so when we update a model, and specifically many models, instead of re-importing them and having to re-set all the options and parameters for the models and materials, we can just click 'update/reload model'. it will import the new geometry while keeping the old settings.

for the xpacker: how about a 'reload model' button, so when we update a model, and specifically many models, instead of re-importing them and having to re-set all the options and parameters for the models and materials, we can just click 'update/reload model'. it will import the new geometry while keeping the old settings.

Read the first post towards the end ... http://forum.racedepartment.com/bobs-track-builder/15441-xpacks-expanding-future.html

Exctract the XML representing the Object and update the PolyList sections in a text editor.

Suggestions about that cross section in the 3d view :

- Click & drag to slide the displayed cross-section over the track in the 3d view and of course, the ability to elevate cross-section points.

- Choose how far the vertices of that cross-section are affected using a display similar to terrain elevation tool, so depending how far it is set, the transition between two cross-section or when going back to normal would be more soft or rough. A colored display like soft selection in max could be useful to display the surface elevation affected.

Attachments

• crossection.jpg
    crossection.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 235
Honestly, I'd like very much of an option which allow to choose between FLOAT WINDOWS and DOCKING WINDOWS or something like that.

Everytime I click on a secondary interface as Terrain Editor, Surface Editor and so on I got move the pop window from middle of screen to a side which is boring.

I know it's no related to track editing itself but I think it would be more confortable for users.

Or, at least, BTB able to remember what the last positioning which you moved a determinated window, and when you click again on Terrain Buton, per example, it pops in the same screen position of last edition. It would avoid windows dragging all the time.

I've noticed, and i'm guilty myself, that questions are often asked, or requests made for or about features that are already in BTB. While i'm sure this annoys Piddy no end, in a way it is evidence that users love this program so much that they don't even consider reading the literature that comes with the program but would rather either be making tracks, or on the forums talking about making tracks or improving the program.

It may also be influenced by the fact that it is only beta, and the fact that Piddy is obviously commited to making this an incredible program (and we just want to help (again, i'm guilty)).

The way i see it, there is an extreme imbalance between the excitement of the program and the excitement of the help file. The program is so easy, but reading is so hard.

So, a feature request:
how about start-up tips upon loading the program?
i know, it would be a dreadful waste of dev time. maybe as a community we could submit tips so all Piddy would have to do is copy/paste them into a tips file?
eg, i only recently found out about the 'J' key. That is an incredible feature i wish i'd read about ages ago! my fault, i love making tracks, not reading.

PIDDY

Piddy, is it possible for you to integrate some form of snap to or a background grid in the surface editor at the moment you have to guess the distance and angle but the afore mention tools would be a gret help with what i'm trying to achieve ..........refer to image below.

Attachments

• snapto and grid.JPG
    snapto and grid.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 219
eg, i only recently found out about the 'J' key. That is an incredible feature i wish i'd read about ages ago! my fault, i love making tracks, not reading.

I was thinking about something like this myself. I'm sure I don't know half the shortcuts there are in BTB, so every time I find one I feel like uncorking the bubbly because it's so handy. OK, the thing about the bubbly might have been a bit of an exaggeration, but you catch my drift.

Anyway, how about including the shortcuts in the dropdown menus, like there is in Windows (e.g: printer icon_Ctrl + P, left-facing arrow_Ctrl+Z)?

Another suggestion, which I think is a bit more complicated: how about automatically capping walls? I think Brendon mentioned that this is more complex than it seems, but it would make the program more complete. I would think that it would be hard to release BTB 1.0 without that capability. However, this is only a suggestion. There are plenty of ways of working your way around that, so it's nothing desperate.

Finally, a suggestion/question: I noticed in the preview video for BTB 0.8 that there was a fence. What XPack is that in? Or even better, could it be included by default in 0.8? :fingers-crossed:

playback controls to the camera of btb.
sometimes I need pass many times on some sector of my track to visualized something
and need wait the camera complete the lap, u know??
or a possibility put the camera where I want.

• 42Cliff

bigcarva, make each sector a seperate track ->

-tracks->copy track->trim the copy track to only sector 1->name trimmed track sector 1 or whatever->copy whole track again->trim copy to only sector2's area-> name copy sector 2 or whatever->copy whole track again->repeat till done with stage/track

also this lets you have only certain sections visible at a time -> speeds up btb.

playback controls to the camera of btb.
sometimes I need pass many times on some sector of my track to visualized something
and need wait the camera complete the lap, u know??
or a possibility put the camera where I want.

You can put the camera where you want by double clicking on the point you want so the view zooms in [or just moving there with the mouse] and then click the camera button, it will start from there.

I do the same thing as you, needing to pass many times, I have a routine of going back like this:
Click the walk button to stop.
Raise view a bit if necessary
Spin round
Double click secondary mouse button on start point to zoom in
Click the camera button and off you go again.

Hope this helps.

You can put the camera where you want by double clicking on the point you want so the view zooms in [or just moving there with the mouse] and then click the camera button, it will start from there.

I do the same thing as you, needing to pass many times, I have a routine of going back like this:
Click the walk button to stop.
Raise view a bit if necessary
Spin round
Double click secondary mouse button on start point to zoom in
Click the camera button and off you go again.

Hope this helps.

that's exactly what i did til i found the 'J' key

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back