Improvement Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendon Pywell

Bob's Track Builder
I don't know everything so if you have thought of a brilliant idea, then let me here about it.

I value everyone's opinion but please don't feel too bad if your idea doesn't make it into BTB. Ease of design, speed, development time, priorities and game engine abilities all need to be considered when I mark out what's in the next release. I already have over seven pages of features I want to add to BTB so perhaps yours is already on there. ;) I won't be listing it here as I don't want to influence your fresh thoughts, and nor do I wish to raise false hope. I only like to list things I know I can deliver.

Please don't post your same idea over and over again. No ones opinion is more important than anyone elses. ;)

Sorry if I missed this...

Auto Save where you can set the time and it Auto Saves in the background. I have lost many hours because of crashes and lock-ups in the older versions.

Auto Save would be good!!

Mike :)

• Drive a Race Car

3D view

Well firstly you have done an absolutly awesome job so far with BTB!
When you are in 3D view would it be possible to have some sort of indicator on the top view as to where the car is in 3D view. That way we can pinpoint places more accuratly that need editing.

Simon :)

Sorry if I missed this...

Auto Save where you can set the time and it Auto Saves in the background. I have lost many hours because of crashes and lock-ups in the older versions.

Auto Save would be good!!

Mike :)

BTB auto saves the Venue.bin file in the 'Temporary Files' folder each time you make a change. I think it only applies as long as you haven't turned 'Undo' off, though.
The backups have random filenames and extensions - so all you need to do is sort them by date, copy the one you want into the Projects folder and rename it Venue.bin

How about a Loop selection tool for terrain, similar to the ones in Max.
ie: select one point then click loop and it selects all nodes in the corresponding loop on the visible Terrain
(See pic).

Also would like to see Scale & Rotate tools as existing in Sobjects tool (see other pic) to be available for Objects as well.

Attachments

• loop.jpg
    loop.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 254
  • scale.jpg
    scale.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 219
sorry if any of these have been mentioned;
- more background image options; ability to hide certain images/layers and ability to re-order existing images/layers
- ability to transform objects (position, rotatation, scale) using numeric values (instead of having to be precise with the mouse controls)
- ability to display objects in other views (even with a warning (which can be disabled, hehe) for the first attempt)
- ability to quickly hide/show all terrain (as you've done with walls and objects)
- ability to adjust how each track surface/camber/surface/wall/etc changes shape (i.e. by choosing linear or bezier)

NOT SO IMPORTANT BUT WOULD BE A VERY VERY WELCOME ADDITION :)
- terrain shape 3d paint tool to rough the terrain and an easier one to smooth it
- vertice paint tool to add/remove detail (vertices) via painting on existing surfaces

thanks again for BTB Brendon, it's AWESOME !!!

I don't know if it is possible, but it will be an usefull and easy if possible to create a new track in existent terrain

One of the most sorpresive and usefull features are autoaling to track, but the problem is, if I want to change a little some curb I need to relocate manually all terrain and objects, would be nice to link some objects or terrain to track.

One of the worst features in my opinion is fill the terrain, you create terrain with low poligons and would be appear some strange artifacts.

And the last... my favourite sim is LFS, please find the way to add or modify tracks for LFS! Tracks are in \Live For Speed\data\wld . How to edit is a mystery

Sorry i don't know if this has been requested but i am find the job of placing kerbing around the track a little tedious. It is fairly quick and simple at the moment but i cannot stand repetitive jobs. Surely it would be possible to pick a start and end point and have it automatically shape to the track.

Perhaps it already does and i havent figured it out :th_sur:

xpacker: ability to set individual object properties for complex objects (i.e. setting different LOD values for each object (i.e. a baloon, string (holding baloon) LOD value not needing to be as high as the actual baloon itself (also, tree trunk with collision on, but branches and leaves with collision disabled)
or can this already be done, am i missing something (moreso regarding the LOD issue than collision (i know the workaround for the later)) ?

Hello,
I would like, when using cameras groups, the ability to hide the groups, one by one. On my track (Vitus GP), I'm making a little fix with new cameras, and the fix contains 80 cameras, on 4 groups, and it's sometimes difficult to recognize the cameras of the group I work on. Is it possible ? I hope so.
Anyway, the tool camera of BTB is so cool, so simple and powerfull to use, thank you for the wonderfull job you make on the soft.
It's for me the only way to create tracks, and it's a lot of fun, thank you.

XPACKER
- ability to rename/update textures (not materials) already imported into an xpack :)

BTB
- also, expanding on FredHots idea, a group function would be handy for alot of things (i.e. tracks, walls, terrain, objects, cameras) to easily hide/show groups of items
- and 1 last 1, it would be great to be able to handle multiple track layouts in the 1 BTB track (i.e. GP Layout, Club Layout, etc) without having to create/maintain multiple BTB projects

just suggestions, not demands :p

Xpacker..:
------------
Ability to -easy going- (mass) import of .gmt files directly from .mas files.:)

Reason..:
-----------
considering the "current" lack of 3d objects / Xpacks
and no (easy spottable) way to obtain more within
a reasonable timeframe - it would be nice to be able
to import the 1-million avalible .gmt files directly into BTB.
( Without first having to convert them into .3ds via 3Dsimed ).:wink2:

Cheers,
Dac.

Similar to the point cloud import that already exists for bringing laser-scanned tracks into BTB:

Google Earth can export terrain with an image to a SketchUp file. I would like to bring that SketchUp terrain file into BTB and start drawing my track on top of it.

Right now it's possible to do this with 3DSimEd, but BTB has, IMHO, much better features for creating the other track elements and general editing.

[One suggested working method is to grab the terrain, pull it into 3DSimEd, draw your track's path, and then export that as a KML to BTB, but then you lose all that wonderful terrain and have to recreate the polygons... there's got to be a better method!]

Exactly Emery.!

1.Generate your terrain.
2.Lay your track. (in 3d real time if possible).
3.Place your objects.
..Share your track..

Easy going sell well / (A bit) tuff doesn't.:wink2:

If we want all the low tech mainstream guys to
join the BTB community as well, this is the system
they will be able to understand and work with.:)

Cheers,
Dac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 106 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 147 14.5%