How much would you spend on a steeringwheel?

So even for non vr users they really aren't needed. Sure its cool but it just adds extra cost that's why id love to see wheel manufacturers offer options with and without. Ill bet I can guess which they would sell more of.
I just designed and ordered a new aluminium profile setup it’s been painted and made currently should be here next week hopefully,
Once this is built I would imagine slightly enhance my experience because it will be higher with my wheel the base and ddu,
But from my own limited experience and my previous setup which was a Rseat Formula V2 I had around 2016 unless you are seated like a F1 driver and everything is directly in your eyesight then any display lower than your ideal driving view is simply a distraction.

Upvote 0
I think the best investment you can make is buying a 3D printer and learning how to wire up Arduino button matrix's using their JoyStick library.
The following link is in Japanese but look what this guy was able to build to use with his Momo wheel and the Simucube wireless button module:
http://trf21.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-29.html

A combination of Leo Bodnar buttons and rotary encoders, some PLA at a 70% fill and an Arduino Pro micro and you can build a button plate with up to 32 functions (20 buttons, 4 push encoder button maps and 8 rotary encoder +/- inputs). It would be quite high quality and universal to any 70mm or 3 hole pattern wheel.
If you use cheaper push buttons, can probably build it for less than $70 in parts.

I just wish if you wanted a cheap F1/GTE you had more options than Ascher racing other than Fanatec.

Reactions: CC
Upvote 0
The wheels that I want are in the 600 Euro or higher range. Since I have not pulled the trigger, I'm guessing that I'm not willing to spend that much. If I found what I wanted in the $400-500 cdn range I'd probably pull the trigger. I thought of going the 3D printing route but I'm not sure how that would stand up to a direct drive wheel and I wouldn't know how to make the grips with high enough quality that I would be happy with it.

Upvote 0
180 euro's :)

IMG_9904.jpg
IMG_0015.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Haha, every time someone says 180 euro's or whatever and I ask if they will sell it for that they never do, so the true cost is never the cost of the components :) Everyone puts some value on their time.

Interestingly I voted 250-500 as that is where I would like be able to buy what I want, it's a price I wouldn't have regrets while I waited for it to appear in the mail. Having said that, I built my GT button on on a CNC and bought an Ascher F64 so I have gone the the extreme both sides of my preferred price point!

The Ascher is what I use most of the time so that determines the price I would pay for other wheels that won't get as much use.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 217114

I wished there was some kind of agreement along all the simracing-brands were every brand (who build bases) has the same connector in the QR, so there would be a huge official market and a huge aftermarket-market. Lots of wheel, lots of competition, every price possible and still able to use said wheel on a Fanatec base, simucube or a AF base or anything else without have to mod it with weird coiled cables and such.

250 - 500 seems to be justified. Anything higher is for the steeringwheel-philes. I also believe going beyond 500 euro has some diminishing returns.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I wished there was some kind of agreement along all the simracing-brands were every brand (who build bases) has the same connector in the QR, so there would be a huge official market and a huge aftermarket-market. Lots of wheel, lots of competition, every price possible and still able to use said wheel on a Fanatec base, simucube or a AF base or anything else without have to mod it with weird coiled cables and such.

250 - 500 seems to be justified. Anything higher is for the steeringwheel-philes. I also believe going beyond 500 euro has some diminishing returns.
They all come with 70 or 50 mm standard mounting pattern, that all universal QRs support.
Pretty sure Fanatec is the only exception as they are trying to block users from using non Fanatec equipment on their bases.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

And this is not the most expensive one from Precision Engineering, check this one out.

Upvote 0
And this is not the most expensive one from Precision Engineering, check this one out.

Dual clutch version sold out! :eek:

Upvote 0
"How much would you spend on a steeringwheel?"

I read this as rim (with buttons) excl. base, pedals, etc.
Personally I cast my vote for "How much did you spend on a steering wheel". :D

I like the custom made ones, so finding a nice one for less than 500 quid could be a challenge.
Also Ascher, Cube and GPX wheels are up my alley.

Upvote 0
Good question, I don't know yet, and the costs are spread over a long timeframe as I've been tinkering on it for quite a while. Probably in the ~400€ range once I got it actually working.
4QIWkhi.jpg

wireless, building it for a SC2 base, with real Toyota MMT paddles

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 217114

They all come with 70 or 50 mm standard mounting pattern, that all universal QRs support.
Pretty sure Fanatec is the only exception as they are trying to block users from using non Fanatec equipment on their bases.

Yes, but those are barebones, right? You can't plug a logitech wheel in a Thrustmaster and use the buttons, leds and such. Or use a Fanatec wheel on a DD and all the flashy stuff works.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Forum trophies