How much would you spend on a steeringwheel?

I have loads of wheels currently and had loads in the past,
It’s a really good question because for example ten years ago most wheels was pretty cheap or fixed to the bases,
seems only recent times past 4/5/6 years additional wheels have become popular or aimed at the public,

some wheel rims I paid 150-250$ for recently + the universal Xbox hubs with shipping are over 400 euros and have a few of these so I think roughly there about 600$ each wheels, + Formula Carbon V1, Formula V2,
My most expensive would be the Fanatec 911 GT3 wheel with the Podium button box, Podium Paddles and Podium hub which with shipping and imports is pushing about 1000$ still yet to see it working but I’ll leave that for another thread :D
but I do really like these PSE GT3 wheels and the Cube Controls F1 with the display but these puppies cost well over 1500+ euros seems a tad too much but I do dream!
FB409521-24A5-491C-A381-C4753CB0041C.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I feel like up until now, sim racing has been niche enough that $600+ per wheel could be justified, but I hope in the future there's more options for people who want buttons and paddle shifters integrated into a D shaped wheel that only want to spend $250-$350.
Not everyone needs Bodnar quality buttons and carbon fiber paddles.
I own a Formula Esports, a Podium Hub with APM and an R330 but I feel like you either spend $600 on an Ascher wheel or you have to 3d print yourself if you want something GTE style that's cheaper.

Reactions: CC
Upvote 0
I have an Ascher wheel and while the quality is out standing that's about as much as id spend on a wheel. Id really like to see wheel prices come down. Our wheels shouldn't cost as much as a good DD base.

Agreed. and IMO the Ascher wheel has outstanding build quality but function wise it's kind of dry: 12 push buttons and two funky switches. For that amount of money you'd think there'd be at least one or two dialers.
Fanatec has a lot of questionable practices, but their Formula V2 wheel stands on its own for sub $500 wheels.
The only thing it's missing is magnetic shifters, but a 3d print and some $1 magnets on Amazon and you're set.

Upvote 0
I believe now that we have had a few impressive online race events, more people will jump into simracing.
The only negative, will come in the form of higher cost for things like wheels and pedal sets.
If you don't already own a wheel, you'd better jump on it...soon.

Upvote 0
It took a lot of soul searching to eventually upgrade my T500 with F1 rim to a CSW 2.5 and F1 2019 rim. It’s not because I “wanted” to spend that much but I did in the end....
Edit: I don’t want to spend over a grand on a DD2 but maybe one day..... (don’t tell her indoors)

Upvote 0
It took a lot of soul searching to eventually upgrade my T500 with F1 rim to a CSW 2.5 and F1 2019 rim. It’s not because I “wanted” to spend that much but I did in the end....
Yeah nobody wants to spend the money I doubt lol
Just this stuff is just so expensive, specially when you keep adding postage and such soon adds up :D

Upvote 0
Yeah, what about pedals? They add more than a new wheel and are stupidly expensive!
I’m nursing an old set of fanatic V2s and looked today at how much the V3s are..... won’t be upgrading just yet!
Having said that I looked at the Heusinkveld Ultimate pedal set at 1330 euros!
Wow

Upvote 0
Yeah, what about pedals? They add more than a new wheel and are stupidly expensive!
I’m nursing an old set of fanatic V2s and looked today at how much the V3s are..... won’t be upgrading just yet!
Having said that I looked at the Heusinkveld Ultimate pedal set at 1330 euros!
Wow
Yeah I settled for the Sprints, not sure how good the Ultimate's are but currently these Sprints are the best pedals I ever touched maybe there the best sim product I ever purchased a few months would have said yes but bought a official Sparco Evo2 seat and since driving with that very hard to choose between the 2 tbh now :D

Upvote 0
Those expensive models by Innato, Precission Sim Engineering, Cube Controls or Ascher Racing are very impressive and attractive. Some of them are truly works of art, amazing examples of good engineering, precision and attention to detail. For me they are like a Rolex or any of those ultra-expensive and complicated watches you may never afford. However, I prefer my Casio G-Shock. If I liked modern F1 or modern GT3s, they could be a problem for my wallet and I think I could spend 500€ max. but I am lucky in that sense. I only like round rims and I do not race, just practice or hotlap, so I don't even need buttons or rotaries on my wheel (an independent button box is more practical, especially in VR). For me it is actually an advantage not to have controls nor paddles on my rim, since I don't have to worry about accidentally pressing a button or about the coiled cable. Using VR also means I don't need a LCD screen on my rim, nor labels, nor exotic decorations. Also, since now I am exclusively using a sequential lever as a shifting mechanism, I don't even need paddles on my steering wheel. Considering all of the above, my choice for a steering wheel is just based on the rim alone. The one I am using now is a momo Montecarlo 320 in leather. I paid 200€ for it, which I think it's a fair price if you appreciate the materials used, the finishing, the design and the ergonomics.

Upvote 0
I have loads of wheels currently and had loads in the past,
It’s a really good question because for example ten years ago most wheels was pretty cheap or fixed to the bases,
seems only recent times past 4/5/6 years additional wheels have become popular or aimed at the public,

some wheel rims I paid 150-250$ for recently + the universal Xbox hubs with shipping are over 400 euros and have a few of these so I think roughly there about 600$ each wheels, + Formula Carbon V1, Formula V2,
My most expensive would be the Fanatec 911 GT3 wheel with the Podium button box, Podium Paddles and Podium hub which with shipping and imports is pushing about 1000$ still yet to see it working but I’ll leave that for another thread :D
but I do really like these PSE GT3 wheels and the Cube Controls F1 with the display but these puppies cost well over 1500+ euros seems a tad too much but I do dream!
View attachment 381639
that Momo Race looks amazing!
I've my Momo Club 3 with the CSL Elite + Podium Hub
ACtC-3fj4JiaMFxRYvijFB2XnwA__uuwXq5jSZ3JuVMHsjeTIgXARCawZsuaefb6y1nmEha6zAP7bzoz4j1osXEojgPOtL-kcfTPCWEtiZgNXeRfx6ydSJNhPdvEkPMJuxEox_fn7d7ckhf5pEdoTtH43KhzkQ=w539-h958-no

ACtC-3ecNbwIRXrusEosxeZsECnLOqDgeBhOOXzg66krunatAK121cb7fPhhOZk9vYKQjRCU2LNwClv2ovlg5oNxkXt2Y9RJpcHfy-0QIMfeEL-oAlU42G5mIwraUDcERSOMMkTdOoZRIKe-JKHnwvjdcZa6Vg=w539-h958-no

Upvote 0
that Momo Race looks amazing!
I've my Momo Club 3 with the CSL Elite + Podium Hub
ACtC-3fj4JiaMFxRYvijFB2XnwA__uuwXq5jSZ3JuVMHsjeTIgXARCawZsuaefb6y1nmEha6zAP7bzoz4j1osXEojgPOtL-kcfTPCWEtiZgNXeRfx6ydSJNhPdvEkPMJuxEox_fn7d7ckhf5pEdoTtH43KhzkQ=w539-h958-no

ACtC-3ecNbwIRXrusEosxeZsECnLOqDgeBhOOXzg66krunatAK121cb7fPhhOZk9vYKQjRCU2LNwClv2ovlg5oNxkXt2Y9RJpcHfy-0QIMfeEL-oAlU42G5mIwraUDcERSOMMkTdOoZRIKe-JKHnwvjdcZa6Vg=w539-h958-no
Yeah this Momo Race wheel is really nice they do a 350/330mm variation I believe, I bought it mainly for DR2 mines the 350mm
I was tempted to go with a more exotic material like Alcantara but was more tempted with the leather, I think it was around 180$ or so roughly,
Those other 3 rims are all leather Raid wheels 310/330/350mm respectively, BMW one 320mm and the Porsche I believe 310 but may be 320mm and the formula wheels been around 280 I imagine so have most the cars covered currently but awesome wheel for the money. :)

Upvote 0
I guess lol. I just hate paying for a screen ill never see.:)
Tbh I bought a PSE DDU and unless you are driving really long straights or it is directly inside your eyeline makes not much difference a 2000$ wheel or a 200$ wheel
Specially if you have triple 32 inch ultrawide like me my eye position is pretty high and placing say the DDU that high look stupid
Some fast tracks don’t even get chance to read the data on it at all
Most use I got from it was the LED there really bright and visible without even having to look so I find these more useful than the actual screen :)

Upvote 0
Tbh I bought a PSE DDU and unless you are driving really long straights or it is directly inside your eyeline makes not much difference a 2000$ wheel or a 200$ wheel
Specially if you have triple 32 inch ultrawide like me my eye position is pretty high and placing say the DDU that high look stupid
Some fast tracks don’t even get chance to read the data on it at all
Most use I got from it was the LED there really bright and visible without even having to look so I find these more useful than the actual screen :)

So even for non vr users they really aren't needed. Sure its cool but it just adds extra cost that's why id love to see wheel manufacturers offer options with and without. Ill bet I can guess which they would sell more of.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Prizes

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Trophies

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Forum trophies