HistorX Hints and Tips

Welcome to this Hints and Tips section for the HistorX mod for rFactor. Here we will try to offer help and advice to anyone wishing to use or requiring help for this brilliant mod. To start off with, it is HIGHLY recommended that you install the mod to a clean/fresh install of rFactor. We would also recommend installing the Lite version as it is a smaller download and takes up less space on the hard drive. It's also very important to follow the instructions in the associated manual carefully as this will minimise any mistakes and errors.

1. It is recommended to keep 1 install of rFactor strictly for use with the HistorX mod as installing other mods could cause errors. Also, renaming this as “HistorX” during the install will aid you in finding it in the folder structure and avoid any clash if a second install of rFactor is used. If you want to use other mods with rFactor then make a second install and use this for any other mods you wish.

2. If you have rFactor installed on Windows 8 or later then it needs to be run with administrator privileges in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

3. We no longer use XD as our in game hud overlay as it doesn't seem to work correctly when used in conjunction with the Historx mod. GID Hud Overlay is now the plugin of choice and you can get it HERE. Many thanks to Davy Vandevenne for pointing us to this resource.

4. If you install the mod on Windows 8 or later and want to use the GID Hud Overlay then it may throw up an error stating that dx3d9_40.dll is missing. If this is the case then you'll need 2 extra files called dx3d9_40.dll. Although both files are named identically they are different file sizes and reside in different locations. You can find the files HERE. use at your own risk
  5. DXSDK_June10.exe contains the dx3d9_40.dll HERE

6. If you are using GID hud and the game keeps crashing then make sure you don't have any other overlay (including the Teamspeak or Overwolf overlay) enabled. It seems that they both utilise D3D9.dll and conflict with each other.

7. If you are using GID hud but your engine health stays at 100% then replace the rFactor.exe with this one HERE. Many thanks to Roland Warmenhoven for figuring this one out and providing the resource.

8. If you want to turn off the track map in the GID Hud Overlay then you can do this by pressing the 0 (zero) key on the numeric keypad.

9. Changing the “Number of concurrent servers” entry in the \UserData\your_name\Multiplayer.ini file from 400 to 999 will help you to find our servers by displaying more entries in the list.

10. When choosing your vehicle take note of the “Power” info in the vehicle specifications pane... e.g. Power 116kw @ 7,400. This will give you a safe rev limit when changing gear. You may find that you can rev higher than this but there is a risk of rev spikes when changing gears which could damage the engine health.

These are just a few hints/tips and suggestions to help you along the way and we hope that they do just that. If you you have any other hints or tips that you feel could be added to this list then please post them below and we'll update this post as and when we can.

You can also post hot links to software that can help get the best out of rfactor.

Type in the name of the app/gadget, highlight it and then hit the link button in the bar above. The green+ and paste in the link, this will look allot better than just the full web address.

Spotter guide for rfactor (a friendly voice keeping you up to date whilst on track) Big thanks to Davy Vandevenne
T500 profile for rFactor
4Gig patch for win 7x64 allows sim to use more than 2 gig of memory
rfDynHUD motecXD style hud interface whilst in game (Java Runtine enviroment 6)
rfDynHud
Manual Damage Control. Choose what level of repair you need (if any).

or you can download the pack for RD HERE

Last edited:
I tried rFdyn but didn't like it. Then for a while I used GID, which was OK, but then I went to XD which worked well. In the end though, I had problems with my install, so I started driving with no extra plugins etc. to reduce the chances of problems. I've been driving with no HUD for ages now and it's great.... apart from tracks where I can't see the starting lights. I don't remember about all the exe's and java problems etc for all the different Huds anymore. It's easier (and I like the immersion) with no HUD for me. Sorry.
Yves uses rFdyn and Roland uses XD so maybe they can help with those. Maybe ask Stan about GID?

From another thread, I just added this here for completeness..
@Roland
Hi, I read in other thread do you provide an rFactor.exe with a fix for engine health in GID.
If I use your exe the game doesn't recognize my wheel and pedals. I use a non-steam version of rFactor.
Have you any clue? What can I do?

.....I also have a non-steam rFactor, and have had no such issues...
IIRC besides me, at least @Jack Smith and @Rupe Wilson and maybe some others have used it succesfully.
They all, like me, have standard Logitech G25/G27 equipment AFAIK, and that may have something to do with it. I guess you have more modern equipment that is not recognised by this really old version of the v1.255 rF.exe file. NO LONGER VALID INFO!! SEE POST BELOW!

Short explanation: both GID and XD are basically memory hacks. They read their values directly fom hard-coded memory adresses instead of basically "asking" rF.exe for the values. (which is what DynHUD does)

There are many updated versions of the v1.255 rF.exe out there, and somewhere along the line ISI recompiled the rF.exe so that it stores engine health in a different memory address than before. Hence engine health in XD and GID stopped working then. DynHUD continued to work though as that is "properly" programmed without shortcuts.

My best bet is that support for your specific wheel and pedals wasn't implemented into rF.exe until later on..
Other than that, I have no idea.. sorry.:unsure:

That is why for some of you guys with contemporary Wheels and Pedals these stop working when using this "fix".
For the same reason, this fix DOES NOT WORK on Steam versions of rFactor. the Steam rF.exe is just too different.

So I guess this fix doesn't have much use anymore nowadays..:cry: ( except for me using my immortal G25 wheel
:))NO LONGER VALID INFO!! SEE POST BELOW!

Last edited:
UPDATE:
After a visit to Yako's site (the creator of XD) I found that he's actually still actively supporting XD.:)

In fact since version 2.1.15, well over a year old now, it has full support for rFactor.exe v1255g :thumbsup:(AFAIK this is the most recent non-steam build).

And after a quick test where I replaced my old (2007) v.1255 rFactor.exe with the v1255g (2013) version, I can confirm that engine health indeed does work with the newer file!!!

I don't know if it'll work for the Steam version as well, as I don't have access to a Steam rFactor.exe but for non-steam users with modern wheel/pedal sets like @T_rac3 this might work.

If needed I can provide the v1.255g exe file, but you may all have it already. Its 4.128.440 bytes in size.
It did ask me to re-register the game, so product key may be needed..

UPDATE:
After a visit to Yako's site (the creator of XD) I found that he's actually still actively supporting XD.:)

In fact since version 2.1.15, well over a year old now, it has full support for rFactor.exe v1255g :thumbsup:(AFAIK this is the most recent non-steam build).

And after a quick test where I replaced my old (2007) v.1255 rFactor.exe with the v1255g (2013) version, I can confirm that engine health indeed does work with the newer file!!!

I don't know if it'll work for the Steam version as well, as I don't have access to a Steam rFactor.exe but for non-steam users with modern wheel/pedal sets like @T_rac3 this might work.

If needed I can provide the v1.255g exe file, but you may all have it already. Its 4.128.440 bytes in size.
It did ask me to re-register the game, so product key may be needed..

i use 1255g also in the steam version and GID health aint working so i might try that xd that you have

update cant get it working

Last edited:
@David Commander
the other night you mentioned you was having issues with the G27 and possibly the wheel rotation,
As i was browsing in the forums this popped up at me and thought it may be relevant.

Ross is having problems with his wheel and another member posted this

While this is correct and this is the date for the latest (most recent) drivers... Logitech likes to use the same version number since 2010 which can cause confusion.

And then there was a silent update that Logitech pushed around October 2016 that was hopelessly broken. Wheel rotation didn't work in any game, etc. Every version of the download. Win 7,8,10, x86 and x64. Not sure if this is still the case, but I still ask just in case someone had the misfortune to download Logitech's drivers recently.

This can be completely disregarded though if the drivers weren't downloaded and installed in the past 6 months.

The above sounds about right, i may be wrong and its not the same issue.
Rupe.:)

@David Commander
the other night you mentioned you was having issues with the G27 and possibly the wheel rotation,
As i was browsing in the forums this popped up at me and thought it may be relevant.

Ross is having problems with his wheel and another member posted this

While this is correct and this is the date for the latest (most recent) drivers... Logitech likes to use the same version number since 2010 which can cause confusion.

And then there was a silent update that Logitech pushed around October 2016 that was hopelessly broken. Wheel rotation didn't work in any game, etc. Every version of the download. Win 7,8,10, x86 and x64. Not sure if this is still the case, but I still ask just in case someone had the misfortune to download Logitech's drivers recently.

This can be completely disregarded though if the drivers weren't downloaded and installed in the past 6 months.

The above sounds about right, i may be wrong and its not the same issue.
Rupe.:)
Hi Rupe Just spotted your post.
Yes the issue I think is related. As my wheel is new I had to download the driver in the last month.
First day gearshifting was intermitant, with rotation issues in all games. Ac Pcars Rfactor1/2.
I almost took the thing back for a refund, not a happy bunny.
Uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times, gears ok no issues since (with gears)
Steering issues persist, last night at Kyalami ffb dissapeared twice after return to pit (I did not pressed the g key) had to reload g29 settings.
in pcars I had the car running full lock into wall then suddenly straightens up, during a race after starting normaly.
As a side note the previous wheel logitec driving force cheapy had no issue apart from cheap plastic internals breaking around the rotation sensor, software was fine
Hey ho see how we go
If I sort it I will post.

Welcome to this Hints and Tips section for the HistorX mod for rFactor. Here we will try to offer help and advice to anyone wishing to use or requiring help for this brilliant mod. To start off with, it is HIGHLY recommended that you install the mod to a clean/fresh install of rFactor. We would also recommend installing the Lite version as it is a smaller download and takes up less space on the hard drive. It's also very important to follow the instructions in the associated manual carefully as this will minimise any mistakes and errors.

1. It is recommended to keep 1 install of rFactor strictly for use with the HistorX mod as installing other mods could cause errors. Also, renaming this as “HistorX” during the install will aid you in finding it in the folder structure and avoid any clash if a second install of rFactor is used. If you want to use other mods with rFactor then make a second install and use this for any other mods you wish.

2. If you have rFactor installed on Windows 8 or later then it needs to be run with administrator privileges in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

3. We no longer use XD as our in game hud overlay as it doesn't seem to work correctly when used in conjunction with the Historx mod. GID Hud Overlay is now the plugin of choice and you can get it HERE. Many thanks to Davy Vandevenne for pointing us to this resource.

4. If you install the mod on Windows 8 or later and want to use the GID Hud Overlay then it may throw up an error stating that dx3d9_40.dll is missing. If this is the case then you'll need 2 extra files called dx3d9_40.dll. Although both files are named identically they are different file sizes and reside in different locations. You can find the files HERE.

5. If you are using GID hud and the game keeps crashing then make sure you don't have any other overlay (including the Teamspeak or Overwolf overlay) enabled. It seems that they both utilise D3D9.dll and conflict with each other.

6. If you are using GID hud but your engine health stays at 100% then replace the rFactor.exe with this one HERE. Many thanks to Roland Warmenhoven for figuring this one out and providing the resource.

7. If you want to turn off the track map in the GID Hud Overlay then you can do this by pressing the 0 (zero) key on the numeric keypad.

8. Changing the “Number of concurrent servers” entry in the \UserData\your_name\Multiplayer.ini file from 400 to 999 will help you to find our servers by displaying more entries in the list.

9. When choosing your vehicle take note of the “Power” info in the vehicle specifications pane... e.g. Power 116kw @ 7,400. This will give you a safe rev limit when changing gear. You may find that you can rev higher than this but there is a risk of rev spikes when changing gears which could damage the engine health.

These are just a few hints/tips and suggestions to help you along the way and we hope that they do just that. If you you have any other hints or tips that you feel could be added to this list then please post them below and we'll update this post as and when we can.

You can also post hot links to software that can help get the best out of rfactor.

Type in the name of the app/gadget, highlight it and then hit the link button in the bar above. The green+ and paste in the link, this will look allot better than just the full web address.

Spotter guide for rfactor (a friendly voice keeping you up to date whilst on track) Big thanks to Davy Vandevenne
T500 profile for rFactor
4Gig patch for win 7x64 allows sim to use more than 2 gig of memory
rfDynHUD motecXD style hud interface whilst in game (Java Runtine enviroment 6)
Manual Damage Control. Choose what level of repair you need (if any).
Most of the links are dead, can you update them?

Originally posted by

Martin Fiala
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/tsnotifier-in-game-notifications-for-teamspeak.135547/

TSNotifier - in-game notifications for TeamSpeak

Whether you're kinda new around here (like I am) or a regular who only knows some of the drivers here by voice, you might be looking for a way for TeamSpeak to show you who's talking at the moment. TeamSpeak shows you this in its main window, but looking at it while racing is highly impractical (even if you can do that, meaning you're running the game in a window or have other monitor available to put the TS windows there). There's an official overlay thingy called Overwolf, but it's ugly (IMO), bloated and complicated (again, IMO), and, most of all, it doesn't seem to work with RaceRoom. Thankfully there's an alternative solution - a simple little app called TSNotifier (which I was made aware of thanks to an older post by @Ross Garland, so thank him for this, really):

As you can see, it is very simple - it does exactly what it's supposed to, no more, no less. And it's awesome. It can also be configured a fair bit to suit your own tastes and needs - this is just an example of how I've got it configured for my R3E needs. I just thought this could be useful for others, hence this somewhat lengthy (and perhaps needlessly so) "guide".

BTW, just a warning - there are mentions of performance issues with TSNotifier. They didn't elaborate on that much and I'm experiencing none whatsoever with R3E, but I guess there's always a possibility. Try it out and find out for yourself would be my advice here - you've got little to lose and lot (IMO) to gain.

Also, although this is posted in the R3E section and is focused at R3E, it should likely work with other sims as well. You'd just have to modify the settings appropriately, starting with the game's EXE files in gamesettings.ini. Also don't forget that some sims, like Assetto Corsa (or R3E for that matter), are using several executables, so you have to set the options for the correct one(s) to enable the notifications in that game.

1. How to install

Installation should be pretty easy and straightforward. TSNotifier is a stand-alone app, so for the most part, you just install it like you would with any other program. Just go to http://tsnotifier.eu/ and download the latest installer - the link is right up there at the top of the page. Then you run the install (make sure your TS client is not running):

i-4JMBDN7.png

i-DP67qfN.png

During this process, it also asks you to install the additional TS plugin that it needs to work properly - install it as well (and confirm it is from a trusted source - provided you trust the guy ;) ).

2. Basic config

After you've installed it, start the app (as well as TeamSpeak). You should see the app icon somewhere in your system tray:

i-85LnDFL.png

Now, leave TSNotifier alone for now and instead start R3E. Just let it load into the main menu and then quit the game again. The thing is, TSNotifier monitors fullscreen apps and adds them automatically into its config file. So what we've now done is we've made sure R3E is now added in the config file.

Now we have to enable the actual overaly function. Right-click on the TSNotifier icon in your tray and select "Edit gamesettings.ini...". You should now be looking at a file (in Notepad or whatever editor you're using) that contains all of the TSNotifier settings. This is the most user-unfriendly part of TSNotifier configuration - you have to go through this file and manually edit it to change some of the settings.

What you want to do now is find the settings for the R3E executable files to enable TSNotifier for R3E. What you're looking for is the sections for "RRRE.exe" and optionally also for the "RRREWebBrowser.exe". Look through the file (it should only contain a few items right now if you've just installed TSNotifier) and find the section that should look like this:

[RRRE.exe]
game.enabled=0
[RRREWebBrowser.exe]
game.enabled=0

It should probably be close to the end of the file given that the app has only just added it there. What you want to do is (obviously) change it to this:

[RRRE.exe]
game.enabled=1
[RRREWebBrowser.exe]
game.enabled=1

Now just save the file and close it. That's all the basic config that should be needed, provided you haven't changed anything else in the app from defaults. If you now connect to a TeamSpeak channel and start R3E, you should see TSNotifier working and showing you the name of the channel you're currently connected to and most likely some other things as well.

3. Basic customization - global settings

Now that we have the TSNotifier working (hopefully), we probably want to customize it a bit to only show the information we want it to show so as not to distract us from the racing, as well as customize the position of the notifications. We can do this either by changing the global settings for TSNotifier, or we can do this on a per-game basis.

Configuring the overall settings is easy enough as they're accessible through the TSNotifier menu. If you right click its icon, you'll see several options which affect the global settings - meaning that whatever you change here will affect every game you have the TSNotifier enabled for. If, like me, you only plan on using the TSNotifier with R3E, this is fine. If you plan on using it with more games, you probably don't need to read this anyway ;) (But I'll mention some of the per-game settings later anyway.)

i-gs32jHP.png

First up is the "General" section. Here we have several switches you can select or deselect. The most relevant are:

Show speaker - if selected, it shows you the name of the person currently speaking
Also show non-speaker - if selected, you also see the names of people who are currently not speaking (in different color)
Show channel - if selected, it shows you the name of the channel you're connected to
Show log - if selected, TSNotifier shows you the channel event log (like people coming and leaving and stuff like that) and, more importantly, the TS chat
Config log delay... - time to show log events (in ms, so multiply the number of seconds by 1000)
Config chat delay... - time to show chat messages (in ms, so multiply the number of seconds by 1000)
Config max. chat width - the maximum number of characters per row in chat
Show self - if selected, you're also included as both speaker and non-speaker (based on what you chose to display)

How you set this up is entirely up to you. As you can see, I only have Show speaker and Show self enabled - I don't need to see anything else.

There are also three other important options in the main TSNotifier menu. These are:

Speaker position - here you select the position of the names of people speaking (as well as the name of the channel if you have it enabled). Pretty self-explanatory. I have this set at "top-right" because to me it felt like a best position for R3E - flags and other things show up on the left, but no UI elements show up on the right.
Log position - exactly the same as above, except related to the channel log if you have it enabled. I have channel log disabled, so I just left it at default, which is "middle-right".
Colors - again pretty self-explanatory. Here you can set custom colors for various items shown by TSNotifier. I just left it at default.

One final option you can find in the main menu is the "Start with TS3" option. It supposedly does what it says on the tin - as the TSNotifier is a stand-alone app, you have to start it manually by default. This option should take care of this. However, in my experience, it doesn't always work. I'm not sure why, so obviously - your milage may vary.

4. Basic customization - global settings in gamesettings.ini

Even if you're planning on using TSNotifier only with R3E, you probably want to tweak some per-game settings in the gamesettings.ini file, as well as some of the global settings that are not acessible from the menu.

To do so, you once again have to open the gamesettings.ini file and edit it. You can put your global settings into the "default" section of the file (probably somewhere close to the top of the file). These are my settings:

[default]
d3d9.hookMode=0
font.size=26
ext.avatar.show=0
ext.font.outlinewidth=4

The first option was there by default. To be honest, I only have a vague idea of what it does - I had no need to find out more about it.

The second option, as you've probably guessed, sets the size of the notifications to be somewhat bigger than default (which is 22 I believe?). This is obviously entirely up to you. Just test it and see what you like - you don't have to restart the game I believe, just Alt-Tab out of the game, edit the setting, save the file and Alt-Tab back into the game, it should be in effect if I remember correctly.

The third option disables showing small avatars alongside the names. This is again entirely up to you. If you want to see them, either don't put this line in (they're enabled by default I believe) or set the option to 1.

The final option, again pretty self-explanatory, sets the thickness of the text outline. I like the outline a bit thicker, so I've set it to 4. Obviously set this to whatever you prefer based on your font size, colors, taste and so on.

One other option that could be useful here but I'm not using it would be something like:

font.name=Arial

Which obviously sets the font used by the notifications to your preferred font (Arial in this case).

5. Basic customization - per-game settings in gamesettings.ini

Finally, we probably want to tweak some settings on a per-game basis. For example, I've moved the notification area a bit further down from the top right corner to not have the notifications over the position bar in R3E at the top. This is how my R3E section actually looks like to get what you've seen in the video (combined with above):

[RRRE.exe]
game.enabled=1
speaker.offsetY=90
[RRREWebBrowser.exe]
game.enabled=1
speaker.offsetY=90

You can probably guess what speaker.offsetY does - it literally offsets the position of the speaker/channel name notification 90 pixels(?) down from the position you have it set to. I have it set to "top-right", like I've mentioned, but with this offset, it actually shows up below the R3E UI bar, not on top of it. Set to your preference based on the global position you've selected for speaker/channel name notification. Alternatively you can just ignore this setting and set the global position to "middle-right", but since there might be quite a few people talking at the same time occassionally, I went for this option.

Obviously there's also a speaker.offsetX setting to set the X axis offset for this, as well as logscroller.offsetX and logscroller.offsetY, which affect the channel log notifications if you have them enabled.

Finally, If you're trying to set TSNotifier per-game for multiple games, you might want to tweak the default notification positions for given game by using the speaker.position and logscroller.position options here. The values for these are as follows:

-1: default position according to the global setting
0 : set the position to top left corner
1 : set the position to left edge, middle
2 : set the position to top center
3 : set the position to screen center
4 : set the position to top right corner
5 : set the position to right edge, middle

I guess this just about covers most of it. If you've read it all the way through here, my hat's off to you! ;) Hope someone finds this at least a bit useful.

Fantastic guide Martin, great job! :thumbsup: Such a handy little app and a real must have. Just to confirm, it works perfectly with every sim I've tried so far, which is RaceRoom, Assetto Corsa, and Automobilista. It should also work fine with pretty much any other game, so online shooters or whatever, for those of you that play them.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.