F1 2017 Have Your Say: The New F1 2017 Game - Good, Bad or Indifferent?

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2017 Have Your Say.jpg

For this edition of our 'Have Your Say' feature of articles we want to know your thoughts on F1 2017, the latest Codemasters official Formula One game.

Released to much fanfare throughout the racing game world, F1 2017 finally hit the store shelves on Friday morning for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC, however has the game lived up to the hype, or does it promise more than it can ultimately deliver?

Formula One games have found themselves something of a nice little spot in the racing game marketplace these past few years. It is not quite a fully blown simulation that appeals to a minority within a minority, nor is it totally arcade with fantasy physics calculations. After eight years with the official license, have Codemasters finally found the sweet spot between simulation and mass market appeal?

The question for today is a bit more open than usual, but hopefully generates plenty of debate amongst us sim racing fans:

What is your opinion of the new Codemasters F1 game, and is it any good?

Please stay respectful and constructive in the comments (as we always say..) and let the debate begin!

Modern F1 is setup perfectly for gaming with all the management of development and in race management. It just works so well with game. I love it.

You can race in the wet in a convincing manner that alone should be enough to cut this game some slack. Wet races are awesome.

There are a lot of sim snobs around here not surprisingly, most seem to think they are some kind of unknown world champion in the waiting. We are just all playing games on various toy wheels it would be refreshing if some remembered that.

Last edited:
Modern F1 is setup perfectly for gaming with all the management of development and in race management. It just works so well with game. I love it.

You can race in the wet in a convincing manor that alone should be enough to cut this game some slack. Wet races are awesome.

There are a lot of sim snobs around here not surprisingly, most seem to think they are some kind of unknown world champion in the waiting. We are just all playing games on various toy wheels it would be refreshing if some remembered that.
Absolutely spot on Paul, you've written what I've been thinking for ages.

I like the new cars, lots of grip. I feel pretty immersed with all the pit radio and all and the accomplishment of team goals. I have been racing the Renault since 2011. I tried something new this time by opting for the Red Bull RB13 Danny as my team mate.

I also started a career on the highest AI setting'. Man I have a lot to learn to catch those NPC's. I wish they had a 'Real' option where we race against the drivers as they really are. I have to say that the AI seems to not care whether you are there or not. I have been hit countless times so far.

The helmet selection is a bit lacking as well as the facial avatars. I'd like to see something more along the lines of Tiger Woods PGA Tour face creator rather than a generic pre-built avatar. And a helmet designer much like the livery editor in Forza Motorsport. Maybe since it is a PC game I can mod a skin for a helmet?

Is just another arcade cademaster game of formula 1, for those who like to see animations between races rather than real driving like in automobilisa, rfactor 2, raceroom and assetto.

Was just thinking this morning how lucky those who like and buy F1 from codemaster every year really are that the season changes only every year not every 6 month or they would have to buy the same game over and over every 6 month. Good for them.:roflmao::roflmao:

Hello, my VR friend, I agree this game would have been better in VR and fingers crossed they add it.

:) Your comment could apply to any of the annual licensed games, FIFA, Football Manager (and the US sports etc) and even Farming Simulator. Most also have official updates throughout the year to keep the game relevant, those with mods even more so.

Look at it another way, at least F1 2017 includes all the cars and tracks. There is no season pass or DLC for missing cars. £25-40ish depending on when how/how you buy to play the current F1 cars, drivers, full rules and a competent management game is OK with me. The F1 games were more of the same for a long time and I didn't buy them but 2016 changed that and the Codies really are on to something with the latest format.

F1 is now on par with the other sports games, yes something like the AC F1 cars are more complex. As a game and a genuine recreation of the sport F1 has the advantage. Forget racing sims for a moment and F1 is a good all round game and it has been a long time since we could say that.

F1 2017 might not be the most realistic experience out there, but it's incredibly fun. Every race is as exciting as it could be and you find yourself enjoying the moment. It's that sort of game that you hardly get tired of, because there are plenty of things to do. Not to mention the career mode, with lots of depth and whatnot. That's something you won't find in any racing sim, for example. Sometimes, we gotta forget about what it should be and enjoy what it really is: a simcade. If you get over the fact that it won't be as realistic as rFactor 2 when it comes to physics and tyres, you'll have plenty of fun with it. That's the kind of game that I can't play with a steering wheel, because you can't really get to feel the car. It's awesome with a pad, though.
Codemasters nailed it ;)

Yeah it's really good. FFB is the same as last year so that could be better, same goes for the AI.
Physics and handling is far far better, no more stupid wheelspin while going in a straight line in 4th and 5th gear.
Performance is also well optimized, running triple monitors at high/max graphics with solid 60 fps on a GTX 970.
The FFB is not the same as 2016, its much improved for 2017, there's plenty of sliders to adjust in the FFB menu. Not only that, the FFB is a lot stronger this year as well.

Is just another arcade cademaster game of formula 1, for those who like to see animations between races rather than real driving like in automobilisa, rfactor 2, raceroom and assetto.
Oh yeah because I have not got all of those games and dlc and was/am a investor in AMS. You can enjoy them all you know without being disingenuous to those of us that enjoy it. If you are a genuine fan of F1 I cannot see how you could not enjoy this. No other game comes close to capturing the essence of modern F1.

All those games listed have their pluses and minuses but we should be thankful how lucky we are to have all these great games available and our associated toys to go with them not being a sim snob. Is there a more elitist and spoilt bunch than sim/game racers?

this is my first f1 game since 2013. I dont consider myself a F1 fan but I love cars and racing. So far Im loving this game. Very fun. And thats all I care about. Who cares what others think. At the end of the day they are all video games. I have an actual real life to worry about.

Oh yeah because I have not got all of those games and dlc and was/am a investor in AMS. You can enjoy them all you know without being disingenuous to those of us that enjoy it. If you are a genuine fan of F1 I cannot see how you could not enjoy this. No other game comes close to capturing the essence of modern F1.

All those games listed have their pluses and minuses but we should be thankful how lucky we are to have all these great games available and our associated toys to go with them not being a sim snob. Is there a more elitist and spoilt bunch than sim/game racers?
I'm not a Formula 1 fan, I'm a car racing fan, in all categories! I have some F1 codemasters and I tested this 2017, they only serve for some fun between a coffee and another to play with the keyboard when the steering wheel is disconnected ..
Real fun for those who like real races, it's only with Simulators type Automobilista and Rfactor 2, this is my sincere opinion.

Frame rate drops are sudden and make no sense in that the track is clear in front and behind. It doesn't happen continually but still I've never had an issue with any other racing game to this extent and I have most all of them.
Also, figures appear dark (skin tone) even after lightening the overall look. Lighten too much and it washes out the other colours.
I like the career mode but still think they should add F3 and F2 to make a proper career.

What I find amusing is the time people spend commenting on a game they clearly don't care about, just to put it down.

Don't know why they loose time doing it. Do they feel better this way?? :rolleyes:

I care, i'm an F1 fan and a simracer so i would love to have a simracing F1 game, but Codemasters titles feel dull and frustrating behind the wheel, so i can't enjoy the other stuff that comes with it (a lot of which i don't care much in the first place).

Reactions: McM

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back