F1 2017 Have Your Say: The New F1 2017 Game - Good, Bad or Indifferent?

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2017 Have Your Say.jpg

For this edition of our 'Have Your Say' feature of articles we want to know your thoughts on F1 2017, the latest Codemasters official Formula One game.

Released to much fanfare throughout the racing game world, F1 2017 finally hit the store shelves on Friday morning for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC, however has the game lived up to the hype, or does it promise more than it can ultimately deliver?

Formula One games have found themselves something of a nice little spot in the racing game marketplace these past few years. It is not quite a fully blown simulation that appeals to a minority within a minority, nor is it totally arcade with fantasy physics calculations. After eight years with the official license, have Codemasters finally found the sweet spot between simulation and mass market appeal?

The question for today is a bit more open than usual, but hopefully generates plenty of debate amongst us sim racing fans:

What is your opinion of the new Codemasters F1 game, and is it any good?

Please stay respectful and constructive in the comments (as we always say..) and let the debate begin!

just bought a wheel (fanatec CSR)/pedals (Clubsport Pro V1) and seat playseat revolution) and picked up f1 2017 on steam.... at first it was nails, spent a bit of time configuring the pedals as 1st time using a load cell and now I am enjoying it immensely. 1st F1 game I have played since f1 96/97 or something n ps1 with Murray Walker!!!

A few little gripes and I need a button box ideally as there are a few things to map properly.

So far I am very happy, multiplayer with a couple of friends was also decent, the Classic cars can be a bit of a handful :)

The sense of speed is great and graphically its pretty decent, I use a gaming laptop with i7 and gtx1060 3gb and it runs really well with most settings on high/max at 1080p on 55 inch tv

decent job codemasters

While i can only say great things about AMS formula ultimate i disagree strongly that AC mod F12017 hybrid being terrible, i mean how on earth have you come to that conclusion?
Driving it myself. The handling and feeling of grip are nothing like what these cars should have, with the Formula Ultimates completely driving the mod into the ground. It's no better than the other modern F1 mods like the FW35, which are also terrible.

It's been a 6 year break for me from Codies while I drove RF2.
Bought this one for a collaborative project coming up on YT and was very pleasantly surprised.
In 6 years since the 2011 game it has come a long way.
Highlights;
-Ship to shore voice activated engineering. (wish he would just give my tyre information though rather than a dinner party conversation about generic tyre facts like deg).
-FFB, much improved on 2011 (OSW wheel here).
-Engrossing career mode.
etc etc.
Only neg so far is that I am a slow as a HRT with a used Cosworth. Career season 1 and I have AI @ 85% which makes me feel quite the amateur.
I can see myself getting right into career in this one for pure fun.
I'll leave my multiplayer exploits to RF2 leagues.
Edit:
In my opinion the core simulation and FFB of RF2 is a big step above, but the F1 2017 "core" physics is now plausible/acceptable. EG I can get oversteer and manage it, the cars handling makes sense.
That being the case I can enjoy all the things that occur around that core like the career.
I really missed it in RF2. I sort of manufactured my own using a HE of the 1992 cars and some ground rules and even have an engineer thanks to Crew Chief.
But its looking like fun.

Last edited:
OK cool, but like i say point remains bunch of rich old fellas who were not even close to being in F1 are happily racing these F1 cars around.
What sim racing lacks and is in dire dire need of is some cool PR and some cool sim racers, most of them look like nerdy basement dwellers which lends to that image of gamers being ugly geeks with no friends....

Not every racing driver is Steve McQueen but these are the images that stick with us...
Most club racing drivers are just old fat blokes but racing drivers have a cool image regardless, sim racers not so much..
There is a very good chance that a handful of the worlds top RF2 simracers will be doing a series of livestream races in this sim. (All young, slim and photogenic not like Zac Brown-sorry Zac).

I have just tried F1 2017. As a sim racer and a long time fan of F1, my impressions are very positive.

I have played Codemasters F1 games from 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016 and this year's iteration. I enjoyed F1 2016 for what it was, although I did not really like the car control and force feedback. But they were bearable and the best of the series up to that point.

I am happy to report that on my T300 the new F1 2017 is much more enjoyable than last year's game. I have done two races, both were exciting. The graphics are great (minimal post-processing kind of solved the blur, better AA would still be welcome, but overall great, grass is really nice while driving). I can trust the AI much more than in 2016 where they liked to ram in the straights (AI slider, yay!). Drying line is very nice as well. Much much better package overall. Classic cars are just a bonus.

This might not be a true hardcore sim, but in my opinion it's not really far at all. It depends on your subjective sim-scale, whether you consider Forza or Mario Kart arcade. I am very pleasantly surprised for what I have seen so far and I am looking forward to racing even more. Some bugs others have mentioned should be taken care of by the devs, and I would like the updated liveries, please :)

To sum it up... Good (read as: awesome)

As far as car handling goes. It's a bit less defined as other proper sims out there. But otherwise the cars drive good. Nothing annoying about that. Can catch slides.. or sometimes not. Still it feels like my own fault instead of jerky physics. Dis not get in to career mode yes. Took me quite some time to get an acceptable image. But with the help of sweet-fx to get the FXAA and overall picture the way I like it, I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

I decided to do what many are doing these days, buy to refund 2 hours later, and was positively surprised, the cars are fun to drive, they aren't super understeery like 2016, they turn in sharply and slide in a nice and controllable way, yes it's not as "sharp" as AMS or AC, handling and FFB wise, but it's enjoyable something that 2016 wasn't for me... and i haven't even started tuning anything yet, straight out of the box.

As far as car handling goes. It's a bit less defined as other proper sims out there. But otherwise the cars drive good. Nothing annoying about that. Can catch slides.. or sometimes not. Still it feels like my own fault instead of jerky physics. Dis not get in to career mode yes. Took me quite some time to get an acceptable image. But with the help of sweet-fx to get the FXAA and overall picture the way I like it, I'm enjoying it quite a lot.
how did you do that with sweet fx??

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back