Have Your Say: Is The Future Electric?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Have Your Say - Is the Future Electric.jpg

With Formula E enjoying a mass migration of big name manufacturers in recent weeks, coupled with some high profile withdrawals from mainstream motorsport, is the future electric?

Some argue that electric power in general, and Formula E in particular are the sustainable future of motorsports, while others believe the need to be seen as green is a passing fad, filled by the only show in town that is the all electric FIA open wheel series.

Now that both Mercedes and Porsche have followed each other in quick succession out of their respective petrol powered series into Formula E in the coming years, one has to wonder if the future really is wrapped up within a battery.

So today we ask you all...

Is all electric racing the future for motorsport, and can Formula E be that future, or something different?

Yes this is a hot topic, and yes it can very easily incite some strong (and strongly opposed) opinions, so please keep the respect and maturity up to a good level in the comments folks!

Have fun debating... !!

Electric Race Car 2.jpg
Electric Race Car.jpg
Formula E.jpg
Formula C.jpg

Last edited:

samcar304

Premium
Electric is the future. As sad as it may be for motorsport. The sound will be gone. But Electric racing has its pros... 100% power delivered instantly. Its environment friendly (For the green police) and The more Manufacturers that get involved the quicker electric technology can be improved and implemented into our road cars of the future. But even still it does not feel the same when watching it. And apparently the experience of a Formula E GP is not the best either.

And if anyone is interested... Here is the Season 5 Formula E car concept.
f77b308c61c1dcbc01f779240a30e495.png

High Quality pictures in the link below.
http://www.sparkracingtechnology.co...ing-technology-develop-formula-e-season-5-car

Last edited:

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
And apparently the experience of a Formula E GP is not the best either.

Correct, it's :poop:

Seen them race once, test three times (at Donington Park) and each and every time it leaves me cold. This is coming from someone who actually wanted it to succeed (at first, as a side distraction). Now I feel (as a purist) it is killing many of the things I love about the sport..

Now an electric touring car series on the other hand....

samcar304

Premium
Correct, it's :poop:

Seen them race once, test three times (at Donington Park) and each and every time it leaves me cold. This is coming from someone who actually wanted it to succeed (at first, as a side distraction). Now I feel (as a purist) it is killing many of the things I love about the sport..

Now an electric touring car series on the other hand....
Its not quite touring cars but the Tesla GT series is looking pretty sharp...
tesla-model-s-electric-gt-track.jpg

All I can say is that I hope not. I've been a racing fan since I was 7 years old, and saw my first Indy 500, which was in 1972. I've followed Indycar, F1, and sports car racing ever since. I've seen every F1 race since the late 70's. If electric racing is the future, then I can see myself watching something else on weekends. Maybe motorcycle, or tour de France style bike racing, cause Formula E bores me to tears!

samcar304

Premium
If electric is the future of motorsports, then audiences are the past of motorsports.
Yeah :( I think if the technology progresses enough and more people are driving electric vehicles on the roads we might get to keep our glorious petrol guzzling race cars. But knowing the fun police they will try to take it away. :(

Last edited:
Is all electric racing the future for motorsport, and can Formula E be that future, or something different?

Of course, all Electric racing is the future for motorsports, with the UK Government and I'm sure other countries will follow or are already planning on imposing a out right ban of diesel and petrol cars by 2040 for electric vehicles, it as to be the future.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/26/16031214/uk-diesel-petrol-car-ban-clean-air
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40723581

Short answer: yes, it's the future. The economics in the long run overwhelmingly favor electricity over combustion. Converting sunlight to electricity is ridiculously simple compared compared to the machinations it takes to convert oil trapped underground into energy. And let's not forget oil is ultimately a finite resource.

Does that mean you have to be happy about the Motorsports implications? Of course not. It's not an easy pill for me to swallow either, but ultimately you can't fight the "almighty dollar" as we say stateside.

Right now, the best they can muster is a 59 lap race around a 1-ish mile flat track. They have a long way to go and a short time to get there to be at the point where it is as watchable as ICE racing. People aren't going to spend a weekend centered around a 1 hour race. Part of attending motorsport is the fan experience which is short on the goods in formula E. Although they do have the Fan Boost. Get your dialing fingers ready! It's time to vote for your favorite for the win!

I'd say yes, it clearly is the future of automobiles, but Motorsport? Maybe not, Formula One was not originally about development, it was a richmans glamorous way of spending your wealth and getting your kicks while your butler makes dinner at home. It has turned into development as the big factory marquee take over. But for Motorsport I think it will always be petrol driven,if only to reminisce on what once was. Crowds will still go to see people risk life in petrol engines, and drive home in electric cars.

I imagine electric races will be more enjoyable to attend once they have the capacity to support racing series people actually care about without any loss of performance. I just think Formula E isn't there yet and may be the sacrificial lamb to create the technology to support the series we care about 10-15 years from now.

If electric is the future of motorsports, then audiences are the past of motorsports.
Indeed! Whats the point of being there if it sounds like RC cars zoom by? One big reason was to get your body shaking from the petrol engines and get that childish smile on your face! I have never got the thought of going and watching formula E...

To the other peoples point: everyday cars being electric = fine! But motorsport? No. Racing here and there i dont think has an impact, but i guess its brand image at this point. I dont know how many crazy people there are as well that is on their backs shouting about trees and polar bears either.

James Cook

Marcas fan
Formula E is kind of cool in that it offers a certain novelty factor. However I have watched many Formula E races and all it does is highlight the current limitations and impracticalities of electric engines. Range is too short, power can only be delivered in short bursts. These problems will be overcome but it's going to take time.

What cannot be overcome is the lack of noise. A race car should stir the senses but these fully electric cars do nothing of the sort.

Is electric the future? Looks like it's heading that way but I think we're looking at a couple of decades of road cars with hybrid electric engines first. Motorsport will follow suit.

Nick Gregory

iRating is just a number
We're gonna run out of oil at some point, and unless we come up with a fuel that is renewable, relatively inexpensive to produce and sell, and be clean burning, I think we'll all be driving EVs within our lifespan.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 90 19.2%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.2%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.1%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 9.0%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 47 10.0%
  • €3001-5000