Have Your Say: Acceptable Risk or Dangerous Liability? The Isle of Man TT

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Have Your Say - Isle of Man.png

In an ever growing climate of political correctness and risk aversion, has the time come to call an end to the dangers of the Isle of Man TT road race, or should racers have the right to take risks in pursuit of the sport they love?

Everyone knows motorsport is dangerous, it says so on the back of your ticket when you attend a race in person, however with the Isle of Man motorcycle races having claimed an almost unbelievable 255 riders lives since the first fatality of Victor Surridge during practice for the 1911 TT road race, has the time come to reassess the viability of this most historic of events?

Since 2011 23 riders have succumbed to fatal injuries on the Snaefell Mountain Course, three of which have occurred this year when Davey Lambert, Jochem van den Hoek and Alan Bonner passed away during the most recent running of the race.

With other sports such as Formula One and IndyCar continuing to push the boundaries of driver and spectator safety, in 2017 it is accepted that death or serious injury is a high probability in this motorcycle road race? Despite these trends the Isle of Man TT continues to attract bumper grid sizes and the fatality lists continue to grow, year on year.

So the question I want to ask you our racing community is this:

In todays day and age, is the death rate at Isle of Man now unacceptable and should the event be banned, or should human beings be able to open themselves up to the risk of racing on this circuit knowing the dangers involved?

Like we always ask in these 'Have Your Say' articles, please remain respectful to your fellow readers and ensure you remain sensitive to the honour of those who have lost their lives participating in the sport they love.

Have fun debating folks, it will be interesting to see what everyone's opinion is on this topic...

Just want to get this one in here before anyone thinks I'm against the IOM races.. I love them and hope and pray they continue long after I'm dead and buried.

Yes the number of deaths make me uncomfortable in this day and age, however I firmly believe the level of risk someone is willing to take is their decision and theirs alone.

What do you think?

I respect the people that do it, But then i think about the family they leave behind... Some riders have families with Children and then those children grow up without a parent due them being injured in this event. But even then that can be said for a lot of things. so my opinion isn't worth it.

Balls or no balls, this should be ...limited somehow. It's just too crazy. I was thinking about this the other day, almost open a topic here but since I'm too lazy and I knew:D someone just has to do it. So here it is.
edit:
First vote against! :D
And probably the last lol. We all love to watch others bravery eh... but if we need to go on those two wheels and ride those crazy speeds in these public roads... I bet we would all vote for postponing the damn event.

@Paul Jeffrey
I am disappointed with you and this topic. You must be bored. :rolleyes:

To be honest I am fed up with certain motorcycle forums, newspapers and some TV commentators asking the same question. We get it every year.
More people die on Mt Everest every year, would the do gooders and PC brigade want to ban mountain climbing too?
They all know the risks, as do the spectators. They wouldn't do it if there was no risk.
3 racers died this year. They died doing something they wanted to do. They didn't die of cancer, old age, liver disease or heart attack. They died knowing the risk and doing something they loved. Non racers and non road racing bikers could never understand.
There will always be the silly do-gooders in society who are against it. They are the ones who don't really understand these things. Normally the type of people who don't accept any risks in life, have never risked anything in life and probably have only looked after themselves. They should mind their own business and carry on mowing the lawn or doing the dishes.

I respect the people that do it, But then i think about the family they leave behind... Some riders have families with Children and then those children grow up without a parent due them being injured in this event. But even then that can be said for a lot of things. so my opinion isn't worth it.
Nice thinking. So why did you vote for "yes" then, if I may ask. :geek:

Andy oh dear young Andy... why are you "angry" with me I wonder. Again. :D

Balls or no balls, this should be ...limited somehow. It's just too crazy. I was thinking about this the other day, almost open a topic here but since I'm too lazy and I knew:D someone just has to do it. So here it is.
edit:
First vote against! :D
And probably the last lol. We all love to watch others bravery eh... but if we need to go on those two wheels and ride those crazy speeds in these public roads... I bet we would all vote for postponing the damn event.

What an absolutely silly and stupid thing to say.:thumbsdown:

If you ban the IOMTT then you have to ban all road racing. Then you'll need to ban closed-road rallying too, as that carries similar dangers, especially to spectators. It's not going to happen though, so we needn't worry about it too much. The Isle of Man NEEDS the TT, as a lot of its economy relies on TT fortnight, as well as the Manx GP & Southern 100 meetings. As long as the riders, fans and marshals keep wanting to do it and know the risks involved, then there is no reason it can't continue.

Yes it's tragic that so many people die on the TT course every year, but they knew it could happen, and accepted it, and in the vast majority of cases their families accept the risks too. Generally the safety protocols are good at the TT, but the organisers have to remain vigilant and make sure everything is as safe as it can be.

Would be interesting to see if anyone has taken legal action in the past due to death/injury sustained at the races...

I am disappointed with you and this topic. You must be bored

:D

Wondered how long it would take you to comment Mr. Jackson :roflmao:

Nah man please don't get me wrong, I'm all for the TT and these sort of race events. I think they are brilliant to watch, brilliant to spectate track side and no doubt incredible to race in person.

I am 110% behind letting people do what they want to do without limitations, always. I do think however this is an interesting topic and am curious to see how the general feeling sits within our sizable community on this topic. Ideally I should have posted this around the time of the TT, but I think some kind of minor sprint race over in France kicked off and took my attention away for a bit ;)

Lets put it this way, when I get to 80 I'm buying me a bike and going for the lap record. Best to go out at 170mph + than fade away I reckon :cool:;)

Because you are so immature with your answers and reasoning.
Nice thinking too.
So, let me see if I got this right... I'm immature and you celebrate annual festival of racing carnage on your soil, year by year, by year. Yeah... seems logical, it must be me. =/
I'm not "angry" on you. As you maybe have notice.

:D

Wondered how long it would take you to comment Mr. Jackson :roflmao:
Glad I am so reliable Mr Jeffrey.

Ideally I should of posted this around the time of the TT, but I think some kind of minor sprint race over in France kicked off and took my attention away for a bit ;)
Yes, that minor extremely safe little endurance race can take ones attention away from the real man stuff.;)

Lets put it this way, when I get to 80 I'm buying me a bike and going for the lap record. Best to go out at 170mph + than fade away I reckon :cool:;)
Oh yes. That is the way. :thumbsup:

My dad raced the TT back in the day and gave up when he had kids, mainly because of the cost but probably because my Mum didn't approve of it after, I don't really know.

As with anything in life, you know the risks so take it at your own pace (to a degree), you could easily die in a crash on the road tomorrow, nobody knows, I know I have my fair share of idiots to deal with being a daily biker myself :p

Cliché but you've got one life, may aswell enjoy it :thumbsup:

Nice thinking too.
So, let me see if I got this right... I'm immature and you celebrate annual festival of racing carnage on your soil, year by year, by year. Yeah... seems logical, it must be me. =/
I'm not "angry" on you. As you maybe have notice.
You are one these people that don't just understand. You never will.

This is me being civil Paul. ;) Some people, mainly non bikers and non racers will never understand. Real road racing is the last bastion of free will. We cannot let the PC brigade ruin it.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.