General Have you ever got a donation?

Have you ever got a donation for your mod?

• Yes, a lot of them

• Yes, but only one

• No, never altough it's possible

• No, I don't have a possibility to donate

• Other, what? (YT donation, live stream etc.)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't ask for money for myself as I do this for fun and in the traditional (and ever-decreasing) spirit of sharing. Instead, I say if people want to contribute in some way then perhaps make a donation to charity or to do a good deed for someone in need... so I've no way of ever knowing if this happens. I suspect rarely or never.
The monetisation of modding is something I'm quite uncomfortable with as it makes me question the modder's motivation. Are they doing it for fun and community spirit, or to make money? Or a bit of both? It seems a lot of mods can't be released these days without the collection tin being rattled, and in a lot of cases even rips and conversions are hidden behind paywalls. Having a patreon almost seems to be a prerequisite now, like some sort of official stamp of authority.
Thankfully here at RD the community spirit is still strong but on Discord and (ugh!) Facebook the moneygrabbing culture is quite strong in places. But even here the PayPal donation button is often front and centre and the first thing you see... but at least donating to show appreciation after the fact is optional whereas paywalls require payment up front, sight unseen.

I got a few per the mods I released, a few € each with one bigger exception that I don't understand till this day.

I don't keep track with what's happening outside of the RD sphere, but I'm aware there's plenty of donation-ware around with guys selling clear rips... I'm also often a bit miffed when I see big donation buttons plastered over posts of simple "one day of work" skins.. I mean where's the relation.

I was talking to someone about this recently, and now that I've had a go at creating a few mods myself, I'm far more likely to donate towards content I download and enjoy.

For the 2 tracks I've created so far, I'd say over a hundred hours work has gone into modelling, texturing, testing, uploading etc and with over 2000 downloads I've never got a donation. Even if people who tried my tracks and like them donated a few £'s, that would cover my time to some degree.

I guess I didn't make any tracks for money though and I did it because I wanted to experience my local track in the game so I can't be upset; I know not everyone has spare money but it would be nice if people donated enough for a pint/coffee...

speaking of
thanks Ellis, but no worries, i'll refund your little fortune
1651578656945.png

I am working on another solution (but mighth need some expert help). Instead of showing a paypal button we want modders or other content creators and contributors to be able to insert their own Adsense code on pages they own.

This could be visible on:
  1. Modding resources
  2. Answering questions on the forums with a solution
  3. Useful articles
  4. etc
Also replaced the paypal link in resources with something different. Maybe this helps:
1651581813567.png

Please suggest me a better text for both the button and description if you wish. Lacking creativity today.

I am working on another solution (but mighth need some expert help). Instead of showing a paypal button we want modders or other content creators and contributors to be able to insert their own Adsense code on pages they own.

This could be visible on:
  1. Modding resources
  2. Answering questions on the forums with a solution
  3. Useful articles
  4. etc
Also replaced the paypal link in resources with something different. Maybe this helps:
View attachment 563985
Please suggest me a better text for both the button and description if you wish. Lacking creativity today.
People expect money now if they answer questions on the forum with a solution?
Really? Is that where we're heading?

People expect money now if they answer questions on the forum with a solution?
Really? Is that where we're heading?
Where did i say that people expect money for answering a question?

We want to do something nice for the active members in the community who are making a difference and this is one of the options we are considering that would be nice to implement and not hurt anyone. Just like a donation button but that obviously doesn't even pay a cup of coffee anymore nowadays which i find sad.

Where did i say that people expect money for answering a question?

We want to do something nice for the active members in the community who are making a difference and this is one of the options we are considering that would be nice to implement and not hurt anyone. Just like a donation button but that obviously doesn't even pay a cup of coffee anymore nowadays which i find sad.
Seems like a weird thing to be financially rewarded for, that's all. Forums are places where help and advice between users is normally shared freely, but I guess most modders seem to have Patreons these days and anyone can build a paywall, so... I guess it's just the way this hobby is heading.

If a paywall is an incentive for more content to become available to a community, wouldn't it be a good thing? A lot of patreon material out there are specific to people's requests and wishes. I know at least a dozen tracks currently available behind a paywall wouldn't exist at all otherwise.

Not to mention a bit of protection from... my favourite type of people... influencers.

Jarno Opmeer for example, lots of followers... decides to do this Assetto Corsa video:

1651589042100.png

Showcases prototype's amazing Kyalami work and RSS car. He would've had to purchase the RSS car, but the Kyalami track was downloaded here. For free.

Nowhere in the video the mods are brought up, talked about... the video description full of his own social media links. But again, not even a single mention of the mods.

Is that fair? His low effort video netting in what... $200 - 300 USD given the near 100k views?

Just an example of many influencers out there cashing in on unlimited free content. So yeah, I'm not surprised to see mods heading that way.

Last edited:
@Ben O'Bro, that's really sad to see. I have also been on the receiving end of 'donations' like that. I'm not sure why they do it - maybe it makes them feel good about themselves, that they did 'something good' that day, or maybe they see that a track has 40,000 downloads so assume that everyone who downloaded it donated £0.01 so they just helped to make up the £400 you must have received over time (!?).

On a more positive note, I would like to add that there are some amazing members of this community who really value the hard work that modders put into our hobby. Just last month I received a donation of £400 from a single person (you know who you are, G.S. ;)). Most donations for my tracks are £3 or £4, sometimes £10, but very rarely that high.

I was genuinely moved by this act of enormous generostity and it restored my faith in the sim racing community specifically, and humanity in general. I did suggest to him that I should return his donation as it was far too much for a few pretend race tracks, but he replied saying that one has to learn to accept gifts in life; that "you have worked hard for it and your tracks give your fellow human beings a lot of joy and beautiful moments". Not only a huge financial contribution but also spiritual guidance :cool:

I would also like to point out that this has never happened before, and almost certainly will never happen again.

@Ben O'Bro, that's really sad to see. I have also been on the receiving end of 'donations' like that. I'm not sure why they do it - maybe it makes them feel good about themselves, that they did 'something good' that day, or maybe they see that a track has 40,000 downloads so assume that everyone who downloaded it donated £0.01 so they just helped to make up the £400 you must have received over time (!?).
but the reality is even better
1651602103867.png

so 40.000 times 0.00 EUR is ... :alien:

And yeah joke aside, plenty of very helpful and generous out there!
So let's remember those guys and cheers to them !

I think this is an interesting topic and it's good to hear all of the various sides to it. Personally my motivation for creating my first track mod was, and still is so that I can enjoy tracks that aren't available, and to be able to share that with others. I never started with the expectation of being paid anything (and I've never been paid/donated to) but at the same time, I now understand and appreciate what goes into creating a track from nothing. I spent hundreds of hours on my first track and I'm currently in the process of starting from scratch thanks to learning a lot from some great people on this and other communities, and I'm probably going to spend even longer making sure I put as much as possible in to make it a great experience for everyone.

Do I expect to get paid for this? Nope, but at the same time, would a virtual coffee/pint or 2 be too much to ask if you're getting some enjoyment from something I've created? Again, I have no plans to put my stuff behind a paywall as I understand that not everyone has spare money but any appreciation always goes a long way.

@Johnr777 makes a great point about those YouTubers who make huge sums of money from free content; the least they could do would be to point people in the direction of where the content came from...

I don't ask for money for myself as I do this for fun and in the traditional (and ever-decreasing) spirit of sharing. Instead, I say if people want to contribute in some way then perhaps make a donation to charity or to do a good deed for someone in need... so I've no way of ever knowing if this happens. I suspect rarely or never.
The monetisation of modding is something I'm quite uncomfortable with as it makes me question the modder's motivation. Are they doing it for fun and community spirit, or to make money? Or a bit of both? It seems a lot of mods can't be released these days without the collection tin being rattled, and in a lot of cases even rips and conversions are hidden behind paywalls. Having a patreon almost seems to be a prerequisite now, like some sort of official stamp of authority.
Thankfully here at RD the community spirit is still strong but on Discord and (ugh!) Facebook the moneygrabbing culture is quite strong in places. But even here the PayPal donation button is often front and centre and the first thing you see... but at least donating to show appreciation after the fact is optional whereas paywalls require payment up front, sight unseen.
I think you're inherently entering a dichotomy where you're throwing away the time and effort a modder put towards a resource down the bin simply because they're politely asking that if you enjoy their work you could buy them a beer or whatever.

Think about it, to make a proper car from scratch in an accurate manner, just the 3D alone would take roughly half a year for an experienced modeller with tons of reference

Physics assuming you have good sources would take months as well

Sound can easily take several months

and so this becomes a collaboration where maybe some of these people want to get paid because they're committing huge chunks of their spare time to a project, and it's hard to do so without some sort of light at the end of the tunnel, not everyone's CV needs more expansion and not everyone needs more experience, experience and knowledge can't pay rent month to month

Seems to me you're stuck in a very 90s mentality where all modding should just be done for free and the hobby should stay strictly towards those invested in it for the sake of enjoying it rather than maybe getting something out of it.

The actions of those modders that don't demand anything in exchange for their work, are definitely something I'd love to keep encouraging, but not at the expense of making people who spent 1.5 years on a mod feeling bad about plugging a collective paypal link or whatever.

The much bigger issue is unethical and immoral business models for modders, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea