Guenther Steiner versus the FIA

Pete Conway

Premium
What do you think of the charges against Guenther Steiner?
Is he/was he right to highlight the problems in the consistency of the stewarding of races by so far (I think) up to 15 different individuals this year (3 per race) many with different outlooks.

The governing body called Steiner before them for an “Alleged breach of Articles 12.2.1.c, 12.2.1.f and 12.2.1.k of the FIA International Sporting Code during a media conference conducted on June 1, 2023.”

Quotes below are taken from the team principles press conference.

“Because every professional sport has professionals being referees and stuff like this. F1 is one of the biggest sports in the world, and we still have laymen deciding on the fate of people who invest millions into their careers.

“And it’s always a discussion because there’s no consistency. And again, I don’t want to blame any particular person on this, but if you’re not all there all the time, it’s just like a job every… it’s not even a job. In a job you can get sacked! Because you get paid and, if you do a bad job, you get sacked.

“You cannot get sacked, because you don’t get paid. I think we need to step it up. I think that’s now time. We’re discussing this for years and years. And we always go back to this.

“And every other sport has professional referees. American racing – NASCAR, IndyCar – how many times do you hear problems with the stewards or with the race director’s decision? Very rarely. Very rarely.”

American racing – NASCAR, IndyCar – how many times do you hear problems with the stewards or with the race director’s decision? Very rarely. Very rarely
Not too long ago NASCAR added a clause to all contracts that prohibits any negative comments on any aspect of NASCAR publicly; violations can result in censure and/or fines and/or suspension.

(Personally, if you offered me enough to get me to sign such a contract I'd have severe reservations about working for someone that crazy.)

He says what he means and means what he says.
Reminds me of Michael Dunlop.
No touchy-feely in those 2. :coffee:

Tell them about a "competitors out of body experience and awakening" and see what you get. :laugh:

Steiner - what is he on ******* drugs ?

Dunlop - I don't give a ****

Last edited:
I have worked as a cleaner in a sports stadium in the past. My focus was on cleaning, and i did not like Baseball that was played on the feild most of the time. Some people got the job just to watch the Baseball game, your working so you don't have to pay admision. I think the marshals at Monaco got tied up in event. And they can be slow. Detroit had the same same problem. Marshals where slow to fix track after majour shunt's into barrier and that means lots of pace car eating race laps. If you like the driver leading this will prevent rivals from passing him. So Marshals can rig the outcome of the race. But i believe the old blue flag is slow to come out and drivers get held up. I recall David Coulthard in a McLaren Mercedes held up by Bernoldi in a Aroows Cosworth (A slow car and driver) So FIA have to radio Marshals to keep them on their toes and demand flags are put up. Gunther has a monitor with laps times of his car and others. So he is just complaining that the FIA and Marshals need to be more proactive and this applies to Monaco and all other tracks.

On Marshalls.
Absolutely ridiculous that BTCC Marshalls let people stand there.
2 cars touch and sends one into snap oversteer.

Not only that one guy has his back to the cars ! Unbelievable !

Untitled 2.jpg

Untitled 1.jpg

Indycar Marshalls make Formula 1 Marshalls look amateur.

That is the plain truth.

Pay them !
They are amateur... if they were professional they would be paid and do it for a living, however the British Marshals are renowned as being among the best in the world.
But the complaint isn't about the Marshals, Guenther Steiners point is about the Race Stewards are not Professionals, being they are no paid to do the job and therefore cannot be sacked for not doing the job properly and fairly, and the point of having different individuals at each race blows any chance of consistent stewarding into the clouds

On Marshalls.
Absolutely ridiculous that BTCC Marshalls let people stand there.
2 cars touch and sends one into snap oversteer.

Not only that one guy has his back to the cars ! Unbelievable !

View attachment 670117

View attachment 670118
The Marshals shown are in Orange, the others appear to have armbands indicating that they are officials of some description, but seemingly rightly should not be there in the line of fire, a vid would be better to see what was going on rather than a misleading still, after all that is the station of track vehicles so it must have been picked as a safe spot for years

BTCC Marshalls are not paid either so I don't get your response.
It's not like threads don't go off topic.

Standing trackside with no barrier between the cars no matter how far away they are is not good.
Any insurance company would see it the same way and call it a avoidable accident.

BTCC Marshalls are not paid either so I don't get your response.
It's not like threads don't go off topic.

Standing trackside with no barrier between the cars no matter how far away they are is not good.
Any insurance company would see it the same way and call it a avoidable accident.
There is no accident, you are imagining a possibility and getting angry without seeing the full picture, and it looks like the area they occupy is raised above the field in the background of Campbell, Cobb and Segrave stretch where they seem to be situated.

Having just watched a couple of onboard vids of the circuit there are barriers protecting that post from all but F1 speed excursions, but I didnt see the terrain level difference I alluded to earlier.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea