GTR2 GET REAL PHYSICS MOD

Misc GTR2 GET REAL PHYSICS MOD 1.3

Login or Register an account to download this content
From 1.1 hotfix docx:

Code:
Copy Gamedata folder into GTR2 directory.

IMPORTANT:

A) Go into folder Gamedata/Teams/GT/Ferrari 550 Teams and delete folders Jmb550 + Wieth.

B) Go into folder Gamedata/Teams/24H/ Chevrolet Corvette Teams/ Excelsior and delete all files with prefix 03106_

Are the "Important" notes to be done before or after copying the new GameData folder into the GTR2 directory?
Doesn't matter because file structure is different.

Finally got some seat time with the mod. I really like that I can connect what you're saying in the docs with what I'm feeling in the car.

- Can definitely feel decreased grip

- Good: Four wheel sliding with bad technique mid corner which is not something I experienced much in stock GTR2.

- 2004 Corvette C5-R engine audio missing? 04108_G2_C5R.CAR Sounds=2004_C5Rsounds.aud -> Sounds=C5Rsounds.aud brought back engine sounds for me

- Turning radius for 575 and C5-R are not enough to get out of the pits at Donington GP 04 and Valencia GP 04 without hitting the wall. Due to 10deg wheel lock (C5-R) which is originally higher? You might not have encountered this yourself as I run 240deg wheel rotation to match in-game wheel rotation. This is an issue with most/all cars, I guess. Is such a low wheel lock necessary?

- Both 03/04 Reiter Lambo Murc has a max speed of 150km/h in 6th gear. Gearing ratios issue? I wanted to try this one as you listed it in your New Physics doc as having real data. I put in some bogus gear ratios in in the garage and it started to feel normal.

- It would be helpful if you were to pick a few cars and highlight what behaviour we should look out for when driving it so that we know what we should be looking out for with the changes. For example, "The Ferrari 575 will tend to 4-wheel slide more than original GTR2 if over-driven into a corner entry." Or "The Porsche 911 RSR will tend to be more fish-tail happy in braking zones as compared to original GTR2. Alleviate with brake bias.". Stuff like that.

I'll keep trying out new cars and tracks and post any thoughts that come to mind.

Good work. Keep it up!

Finally got some seat time with the mod. I really like that I can connect what you're saying in the docs with what I'm feeling in the car.

- Good: Four wheel sliding with bad technique mid corner which is not something I experienced much in stock GTR2.

- 2004 Corvette C5-R engine audio missing? 04108_G2_C5R.CAR Sounds=2004_C5Rsounds.aud -> Sounds=C5Rsounds.aud brought back engine sounds for me

- Turning radius for 575 and C5-R are not enough to get out of the pits at Donington GP 04 and Valencia GP 04 without hitting the wall. Due to 10deg wheel lock (C5-R) which is originally higher? You might not have encountered this yourself as I run 240deg wheel rotation to match in-game wheel rotation. This is an issue with most/all cars, I guess. Is such a low wheel lock necessary?

- Both 03/04 Reiter Lambo Murc has a max speed of 150km/h in 6th gear. Gearing ratios issue? I wanted to try this one as you listed it in your New Physics doc as having real data. I put in some bogus gear ratios in in the garage and it started to feel normal.

- It would be helpful if you were to pick a few cars and highlight what behaviour we should look out for when driving it so that we know what we should be looking out for with the changes. For example, "The Ferrari 575 will tend to 4-wheel slide more than original GTR2 if over-driven into a corner entry." Or "The Porsche 911 RSR will tend to be more fish-tail happy in braking zones as compared to original GTR2. Alleviate with brake bias.". Stuff like that.

I'll keep trying out new cars and tracks and post any thoughts that come to mind.

Good work. Keep it up!

Good work. Keep it up!
Thanks for the feedback. You are right about 04 Vette sounds. Steering lock was changed because it allows for better precision when steering. If its an issue for you on some tracks then increase it.

I don't have a problem with gear ratios on Lamborghini like you have mentioned. Have you deleted the old version completely? Also any older setups you have for this car will have to be updated, because it has new gearbox.

If you try Viper you will definitely feel how handling has been improved in high speed corners, no more understeer and different versions of the Viper will use different rear wing settings because of their front splitter/diveplanes configuration. Porsche 996GT2 and Seat Toledo high speed handling is also significantly better now etc...

Just put in a good session testing every car for 3 or 4 laps at Donington GP 2004. After that many laps it feels like it's always been this way lol but I wrote notes while I was going showing what I was noticing.

*Lambos still have gear ratio issues even after doing a clean reinstall. No old setups. I loaded defaults anyway and it was still an issue.

- BMW M3 GTR feels beautiful. I'm feeling something extra from the tire almost like what you get from a physically modelled tire

- Very cool: You have to be much more aware of weight transfer, for example, as you go through S curves. I think prior to this the car's would just tend to spin out the rear but with your changes it feels more like a fish tail effect and you have a bit of time to rein it in but it does make you slow down to catch it.

- I get the sense the tires are a little more disturbed by kerbs now. Nothing that would make it unenjoyable and maybe even some drivers would like the challenge of a strategy to avoid too much kerb riding.

- GTR2 is known for its understeeriness and I think this mod helps the driver through sharp turns without scrubbing. You mentioned slow corners are easier (more grip) with this mod while fast corners are harder (less grip) and I think I understand. I used to scrub a lot through the last cortner at Donington but I seem to be getting through without too much now.

- Cold tires were always a challenge but perhaps now they feel more malleable, like I'm able to work with them instead of just ride along with less grip until they warm up (as with stock GTR2)

- Definitely new physics has made the AI far more competitive. I could usually be competitive at 100-110 but I'm not even competitive at 95. I'm down to 90-92 currently and for some cars I'm still being beaten handedly. Anyone playing at Simulation level will have to edit Settings.ddb and lower Professional (Simulation) -> AIStrength to allow you to select slower AI. I also set Invulnerability = 1 (allows you to select it in the UI) so that even on Simulation you can still be invincible and avoid damage from crazy AI.

- I've been paying attention to the removal of artificial bumps from specialfx, as you mentioned in the docs, and I have to say it still feels good and I don't mind not being distracted by fake ffb, either. Honestly, there's not a lot lost in ffb that I can tell.

- I saw a mention of carbon vs iron brakes in the docs: Would this make it feel like some cars require more physical pedal pressure than others? I'm using a load cell pedal and some cars just feel like they need more muscle to brake. Like the Saleen and Seat Toledo.

- Viper definitely feels proper into high speed corners

- Similar sounds issue with the 550 cars that got moved around: Sounds=F550JMB_sounds.aud -> Sounds=F550_sounds.aud

- Car won't move out of the garage even though engine sounds like it's revving with the 03 550 Wieth and JMB at Donington GP 04. Doesn't affect BMS Scud Italia.

- I reinstalled the 1.1+hotfix from scratch and the Lambos still have gear ratio problems. I loaded the default and looking at the gear ratios it's still a problem. Both Reiters and both DAMS have the issue.

I really like the mod, I hope to see it continue improving!

Last edited:
Just put in a good session testing every car for 3 or 4 laps at Donington GP 2004. After that many laps it feels like it's always been this way lol but I wrote notes while I was going showing what I was noticing.

*Lambos still have gear ratio issues even after doing a clean reinstall. No old setups. I loaded defaults anyway and it was still an issue.

- BMW M3 GTR feels beautiful. I'm feeling something extra from the tire almost like what you get from a physically modelled tire

- Very cool: You have to be much more aware of weight transfer, for example, as you go through S curves. I think prior to this the car's would just tend to spin out the rear but with your changes it feels more like a fish tail effect and you have a bit of time to rein it in but it does make you slow down to catch it.

- I get the sense the tires are a little more disturbed by kerbs now. Nothing that would make it unenjoyable and maybe even some drivers would like the challenge of a strategy to avoid too much kerb riding.

- GTR2 is known for its understeeriness and I think this mod helps the driver through sharp turns without scrubbing. You mentioned slow corners are easier (more grip) with this mod while fast corners are harder (less grip) and I think I understand. I used to scrub a lot through the last cortner at Donington but I seem to be getting through without too much now.

- Cold tires were always a challenge but perhaps now they feel more malleable, like I'm able to work with them instead of just ride along with less grip until they warm up (as with stock GTR2)

- Definitely new physics has made the AI far more competitive. I could usually be competitive at 100-110 but I'm not even competitive at 95. I'm down to 90-92 currently and for some cars I'm still being beaten handedly. Anyone playing at Simulation level will have to edit Settings.ddb and lower Professional (Simulation) -> AIStrength to allow you to select slower AI. I also set Invulnerability = 1 (allows you to select it in the UI) so that even on Simulation you can still be invincible and avoid damage from crazy AI.

- I've been paying attention to the removal of artificial bumps from specialfx, as you mentioned in the docs, and I have to say it still feels good and I don't mind not being distracted by fake ffb, either. Honestly, there's not a lot lost in ffb that I can tell.

- I saw a mention of carbon vs iron brakes in the docs: Would this make it feel like some cars require more physical pedal pressure than others? I'm using a load cell pedal and some cars just feel like they need more muscle to brake. Like the Saleen and Seat Toledo.

- Viper definitely feels proper into high speed corners

- Similar sounds issue with the 550 cars that got moved around: Sounds=F550JMB_sounds.aud -> Sounds=F550_sounds.aud

- Car won't move out of the garage even though engine sounds like it's revving with the 03 550 Wieth and JMB at Donington GP 04. Doesn't affect BMS Scud Italia.

- I reinstalled the 1.1+hotfix from scratch and the Lambos still have gear ratio problems. I loaded the default and looking at the gear ratios it's still a problem. Both Reiters and both DAMS have the issue.

I really like the mod, I hope to see it continue improving!
I have identified what caused the problem with Lambo. It was still using old files, now it will work as intended!

Difference between brakes types does not change pedal pressure. But those 2 cars you have mentioned have larger mass than others and therefore you tend to brake harder maybe.

I have included fixes for the problems you have mentioned in hotfix 2. But I cant replicate issues with cars not leaving the pits in Donington. It works perfectly fine for me.

Good stuff

- Lambo gears work now

- Typo in some 550 .car files should be Sounds=F550sounds.aud (there's a stray underscore in some)

- 03 JMB 550s still can't get out of garage at Donington GP 04 (Setup: Race, 29 AI, Qualifying). Just tried Zuhai, can't leave the garage, either. Same with Valencia GP 04.

Good stuff

- Lambo gears work now

- Typo in some 550 .car files should be Sounds=F550sounds.aud (there's a stray underscore in some)

- 03 JMB 550s still can't get out of garage at Donington GP 04 (Setup: Race, 29 AI, Qualifying). Just tried Zuhai, can't leave the garage, either. Same with Valencia GP 04.
Fixed! Please redownload hotfix 2. I have again tested your issue of cars not leaving the pits and don't have any problems on the tracks mentioned. It must be your game. You can fix this by increasing torque of the engine at low-end for the cars which give you the problem.

Fixed! Please redownload hotfix 2. I have again tested your issue of cars not leaving the pits and don't have any problems on the tracks mentioned. It must be your game. You can fix this by increasing torque of the engine at low-end for the cars which give you the problem.

I've been deleting GameData and re-copying a vanilla install's GameData each time I upgrade your mod so far so it would mean my vanilla install is bad in some way, which I doubt. Would you mind trying a clean GameData that and seeing if the pit issue remains?

So far I'm liking what I'm seeing and feeling. Still have to do some proper testing on different cars. One thing I am very curious about is the drivetrain losses. You mention they were 5% on all cars and you changed them to 10-11% but I'm having a hard time finding the parameters where this is set. Could you elaborate more on how this is changed?

So far I'm liking what I'm seeing and feeling. Still have to do some proper testing on different cars. One thing I am very curious about is the drivetrain losses. You mention they were 5% on all cars and you changed them to 10-11% but I'm having a hard time finding the parameters where this is set. Could you elaborate more on how this is changed?
Glad to hear that. The line that affects drivetrain loss is called ClutchFriction. I took 10% of max torque value of given vehicle and substract 25nm (original data) from that due to friction between spindle and rear wheels.

Thanks for the info. Now I can change these for other mod cars as well to Balance the field. I’ve driven some more and I really like how things are balanced in the mod. These new physics also work really well with the 16th anniversary patch and CC.

Now on to creating GT 2000 physics. This means small adaptions needed for most of the cars, some bigger changes for others (Italtechnica F550, 360 challenge) and 2 Cars to completely rework (Diablo GT and Marcos LM600)
While I wont be doing the same amount of research that you did, the work you did will be usefull still.

Any tips on what to look out for?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back