Goodwood Circuit

Tracks Goodwood Circuit 0.99

Login or Register an account to download this content
Author's Response Thank you for review :) Maybe it could be a little bit dark.. I have darkened tarmac for this version just a little bit. Perhaps grass could be a tiny bit brighter. As for 3D gras, I'm not sure. It adds depth, but it would break striped lawn effect, I think. Lawn in Goodwood is mostly perfectly cut, I much rather would love to use some NormalMaps detail to get more of that look, but I don't think there is a shader which would allow me to use two normal maps. Normals map is a texture for graphics engine which makes flat surfaces look like they are bumpy.

No, I mean too dark to see where the road goes; like it's lost in the scenery. I'm not sure if it's a brightness problem or a contrast problem. Look at it side-by-side with the earlier Goodwood (not yours). The older track may be less accurate, but it's a lot easier to see where you're going.

No, I mean too dark to see where the road goes; like it's lost in the scenery. I'm not sure if it's a brightness problem or a contrast problem. Look at it side-by-side with the earlier Goodwood (not yours). The older track may be less accurate, but it's a lot easier to see where you're going.

Hmmm, I'm not entirely sure yet. But maybe you actually mean that some of the curves are a bit blind . They are so because of elevations, which are accurate to real life, I didn't have had to do guesswork - LiDAR data was available.

Elevations can block some view at a times, also the way objects are placed, for example at ST.Mary's turn view is limited by barriers and elevations too, same goes for some other parts. Goodwoos is far from a flat circuit. The good old Goodwood mod (mot mine) was way too flat, and very inacurate in many ways. You are experiencing totally different circuit now, which is correct :)

If I didn't help, then maybe you could post a screenshot of where the road is lost in the scenery ?

To me, only because you are comparing to the old mod, it seems that you are talking about elevations :)

@mantasisg part of the bump issue is probably that I made my car better :rolleyes: but its just a whole rounded track and visually pleasing. For comparison I just ran two short races on VIR (which I never felt quite as visually good) with the same weather settings, and again came to the conclusion that something about the track is just unbalanced, the greens don't work well together, contrasts between tarmac and scenery, MIPs also i think, trees.

@mantasisg part of the bump issue is probably that I made my car better :rolleyes: but its just a whole rounded track and visually pleasing. For comparison I just ran two short races on VIR (which I never felt quite as visually good) with the same weather settings, and again came to the conclusion that something about the track is just unbalanced, the greens don't work well together, contrasts between tarmac and scenery, MIPs also i think, trees.

Half of me tells me that you are talking about VIR, while other half of me says that you are talking about Goodwood, I guess the naive side.

I have a question, is there a way to get the "spray" (smoke) of the rain weathers from good and bad weathers through Content Manager working with the WET version? It's the same as with the Nordschleife wet version, something seems to prevent any 'smoke' from working on that reflective road surface. Would certainly add a lot to the experience if it worked.

Sorry if this has been addressed already, skimmed through the pages and didn't see it mentioned.

I have a question, is there a way to get the "spray" (smoke) of the rain weathers from good and bad weathers through Content Manager working with the WET version? It's the same as with the Nordschleife wet version, something seems to prevent any 'smoke' from working on that reflective road surface. Would certainly add a lot to the experience if it worked.

Sorry if this has been addressed already, skimmed through the pages and didn't see it mentioned.

Thats good question. I wish it would :) But I think it doesn't work, because that effect only appears on tarmac which has grip levels above 0.9 friction value in surfaces.ini. And that is way too much grip for what is supposed to be similar to wet track. However you can manually boost up those friction values in surface.ini of wet layout data. You should be getting that effect then. I haven't tried it myself.

0.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg Screenshot_glas_exorod_goodwood_circuit_16-12-117-15-8-55.jpg Screenshot_glas_exorod_goodwood_circuit_16-12-117-15-10-13.jpg

made a new set of AI borders on the existing AI fast lane, tightening the available track much earlier to "catch" the AI and prevent it from initiating overtakes in the braking zone. There's still a few cars that bump into the first barrier, mostly extremely wide cars like the newer LMPs (and my Audi...).
Also doin this the borders have in general been "de-spiked", they had some irregularities in them that could cause erratic AI behaviour.

here for you to test.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ym19d0hjc8kodrz/AI.7z?dl=0

what i also noticed is that the cyan pitlane line is done wrong, as it runs all the way around the track instead of starting in like the last corner before the chicane.

Last edited:
I think I have recorded pits line corectly - started from pits entrance, drove through pits, stayed away from main line, and then crossed the finish line.

Thanks for taking care for Ai line, I'll look up, but I don't like that you pushed the right edge so much closer to the inside, i think it results in even more wall hits. What I would like it to be the right edge pull about 20-40cm away from the wall, left is alright, and AI can go two wide in most cases. They overshoots kerb a bit in the exit so thats not perfect. They also rather often goes outside in T1. Probably 2-3cars from 15cars grid in ~7laps races usually retires. Good that you have fixed spikes, there were a few after exit of T1, I think no more.

I think I have recorded pits line corectly - started from pits entrance, drove through pits, stayed away from main line, and then crossed the finish line.

Thanks for taking care for Ai line, I'll look up, but I don't like that you pushed the right edge so much closer to the inside, i think it results in even more wall hits. What I would like it to be the right edge pull about 20-40cm away from the wall, left is alright, and AI can go two wide in most cases. They overshoots kerb a bit in the exit so thats not perfect. They also rather often goes outside in T1. Probably 2-3cars from 15cars grid in ~7laps races usually retires. Good that you have fixed spikes, there were a few after exit of T1, I think no more.
No that is not how you record a pit line. Open the AI app on any kunos track and you will see. Start around final corner, drive through pits, go through 1st corner and stop recording.

I have made this short list of notes what to work on. It will probably grow a bit more later. Feel free to add more things.

1. Safer entry to chicane (inside edge by the wall) for AI;
2. A bit safer exit to kerb from chicane for AI;
3. A bit safer T1 outside edge for AI;
4. Fix zigzag for AI after exit of T1;
5. Do better AI pitlane;

6. Adjust terrain texture for lawn;
7. Improve tarmac/kerb-grass/dirt transitions in some places;
6. Improve the grass bits which comes from bariers;
7. Improve Kerbs texturing;
8. Improve building detail and textures;
9. Add weeds for distant parts of the track from T1 till St.Marys;
10 Add occasional vertical grass bits for lawn;
11. Slightly more people and classic dressing;
12. Improve trees positioning (maybe some day redo them all);
13. Some more bushes;
14. Align grass to the bottoms of bariers nore precise;
15. Hay bales (the best ones ever);
16. Screens with Goodwood and AC logos (like in revival);
17. Cameras stands;
18. Better backgrounds. More tree planes, building planes;
19. Better daffodils, tweak hortensias;
20. Fix white line near the pits, improve white lines texture;
21. Add more tarmac sealing;
22. Tow trucks;
23. More spactator cars seen from ST.Marys;
24. Tweaks for spectators stands;
25. Fix shading for megaphones;
26. More objects in the paddock area;
27. Smooth a bit few spots in the road physical mesh;
28. Improve puddles look for wet thing;
29. Make preview picture nicer in the UI;
30. Fix files organisation;
31. Add one more cameras set;
32. Possible optimisation;
33. Place gates in between fences in places;
34. Proper lap time splits placepent;

I have made this short list of notes what to work on. It will probably grow a bit more later. Feel free to add more things.

1. Safer entry to chicane (inside edge by the wall) for AI;
2. A bit safer exit to kerb from chicane for AI;
3. A bit safer T1 outside edge for AI;
4. Fix zigzag for AI after exit of T1;
5. Do better AI pitlane;

6. Adjust terrain texture for lawn;
7. Improve tarmac/kerb-grass/dirt transitions in some places;
6. Improve the grass bits which comes from bariers;
7. Improve Kerbs texturing;
8. Improve building detail and textures;
9. Add weeds for distant parts of the track from T1 till St.Marys;
10 Add occasional vertical grass bits for lawn;
11. Slightly more people and classic dressing;
12. Improve trees positioning (maybe some day redo them all);
13. Some more bushes;
14. Align grass to the bottoms of bariers nore precise;
15. Hay bales (the best ones ever);
16. Screens with Goodwood and AC logos (like in revival);
17. Cameras stands;
18. Better backgrounds. More tree planes, building planes;
19. Better daffodils, tweak hortensias;
20. Fix white line near the pits, improve white lines texture;
21. Add more tarmac sealing;
22. Tow trucks;
23. More spactator cars seen from ST.Marys;
24. Tweaks for spectators stands;
25. Fix shading for megaphones;
26. More objects in the paddock area;
27. Smooth a bit few spots in the road physical mesh;
28. Improve puddles look for wet thing;
29. Make preview picture nicer in the UI;
30. Fix files organisation;
31. Add one more cameras set;
32. Possible optimisation;
33. Place gates in between fences in places;
34. Proper lap time splits placepent;

you're missing: 35. Added Paypal link to support me :)
I feel the need to donate man, c'mon!

@mantasisg,

Really nice work dude, I used to work for a classic race team and we ran multiple cars for 12 consecutive years at the revival .. we regally won the Sussex trophy and achieved our goal of winning the TT with a Ferrari after 10 years of trying .... so i know this circuit well and just how dangerous it can be. There are never any small accidents at Goodwood ....

I've been lucky enough to drive various cars around the circuit during the revival (demo laps .. etc) including the Innes Ireland Ferrari 250 GTO (at 90% race speed) so i remember just how fast and bumpy the circuit is in real life and how hard it can be on a historic car.

This is the first simulated version of Goodwood that feels right .... so well done for all your hard work, i've been driving the fantastic Ginetta Supercup 2017 mod car around it which is well suited to this circuit ... and its been fantastic fun and brought back a lot of great (and not so great) memories of this awesome British circuit.

As for the bumpiness i actually think its ok, Goodwood was always a very bumpy track and you had to run a car with compliant suspension ... too stiff and the car would be a handful ... honestly i don't think you need to make too many changes ... i think some of the criticisms are unfounded from sim racers who are used to modern tracks driving stiff modern cars .... all i can say is try driving it in real life.

That said i think parts of the circuit have been re-surfaced since i last drove the circuit so bits of it may be smother than i remember.

With regards to the Wet Version ... might i suggest a fun alternative as AC does not really do Wet that well..

During the revival weekend the TT always took place at around 3PM on the Sunday .... after almost four days of historic and classic cars dumping all sorts of fluids on the track it was always in an awful condition, very greasy with lots of chalk dust everywhere which made the TT even more of a challenge. So how about evolving the wet version to simulate something like that .... could make for some spectacular online TT races.

Here is a link to a onboard video i made in 2003 which shows just how bad the track can get and the skill needed to drive a Ferrari 330 LMB with it in such a bad way enjoy .... you wont find this video anywhere else as i've never publicly released the footage.

You'll have to excuse the poor quality and 4:3 aspect ratio ... was shot on DV tape no Go Pro's or solid state video back then ....

Thanks for all your Hard work .. looking forward to seeing how this evolves even further.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Thanks this is great feedback, even more amazing is that you have had a chance to drive 250GTO around it !

Equally amazing, if not more, 12 years of attending the revival and working with a race team. i guess it could have been 2010 when your team has won the TT. What a life :)

I'm very happy that the track feels right for a person who has real experience. I was just thinking to smooth some parts a bit, as yesterday I drove it and i thought it is too bumpy. Then I drove it today and I thought that it was perfect. So such feedback is really valuable. Thank you.

Expected, but also a bit disappointing that wet version is not doing so well. Ofcourse it can not, because water accumulation under the tires is not simulated at all, and that is just a low grip. I suppose grip levels are too low for slow speeds, and too high for very fast speeds. Also there must be even more variety of grip levels all across the track. Right now it is just average lowish grip, to suit the laptimes, and with more grip away from normal racing line.

Thats a good suggestion for "used" type of track. I am not sure how it would end up, I guess it would be something a bit like wet, just in small patches. I could make the cement dust lines to be slightly more slippery and even to kick up the dust. I am not sure how much slippery oil patches should be, but I remember watching the revival that laptimes becomes slightly slower, also that if it is not expected, for example, at NoName, then a lot of cars in a row might spin up, till the oil patch is learned. I think that it would be much greater if it would be possible to have oil patches as random dynamic event, than just temporary feature. But AC doesn't have such feature. Would be very interesting to find no grip somewhere, without expecting that.

I suppose the dust and oils makes even greater challenge when it rains.

Your welcome, I'm very happy :)

I'll try to bring good update before Members Meeting, if lucky.

@JayMonkey Thanks for sharing this onboard, thats pretty good quality for 2003. That slide at Lavant to the mid-apex is something surreal. Probably got away wit milimeters to spare. I guess it was oily there.

Fresh chalk dust everywhere. Must have been an extremely busy weekend for mechanics.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back