FOV Opinions Please

Have played around with FOV settings since the beginning. Have used the calculators, one suggests 31, one says 35 and another says 59 according to my monitor size and position from me.
Width 19" Height 10.5" Distance to eyes 30". None have felt right.
So I decided to try and go for a more natural look as you would see behind the wheel. Set FOV to 65
set seat position to how I think it would look. Have uploaded a video for some feedback on this, apologies for quality it was recorded using frapps, and forgive the spin off. Also used is FaceTrackNOIR.
Not my best lap but I go more for realism than breaking records, although any feedback on this would be appreciated.

According to the fov-calc i should use a fov of 22-23 degrees (27" at 85-90cm) which is ridicoulusy small really.
Been driving for a while with fov 30, and even though i can it feels I loose out on so much else that I probably will go back to at least fov 50.
It certainly do not make me faster just by using a so called "correct" fov. :)

That's a pretty small screen quite far from the eye, I don't think the "correct" FOV in your case would work at all. I use a 46" TV, which I used to have 135cm(~53") away and I got 24 degrees, which seemed ridiculous and got me into some heated conversations. :redface:

Then I read the small print which said that correct FOV is only applicable when you're sitting at max. 33" distance, so I changed my setup so that I got a little under 80cm(~30-31") away from the 46", and it made me a believer. My "correct" FOV is now 40 degrees and it works really, really well. Obviously triple screen would be optimal, but to compensate I use Real Head Motion with Look Left/Right mapped to the upper left- and rightmost buttons on my wheel for the quick glances in MP.

Here's a picture of what I'm seeing taken at eye level(horizontally a little off though), looks pretty "real" to me with the wheel sitting exactly where it's supposed to in relation to the dashboard.

15614298054_3636da5b27_o.jpg

I trusted that "eye distance and monitor size" ratio thing, and it is very good, but I found I got a few extra fps and a little nicer all-around view in the side mirrors by setting the FoV to 62 and just moving the digital seat forward.

It's also worth pointing out, using this "correct" FOV on one screen can be outright dangerous in wheel-to-wheel racing situations. With no peripheral vision you have no idea where the other car is unless you have some head tracking function. In league racing, using this FOV is all but optimal.
While you are technically correct, I find no issues with running the correct FOV in wheel to wheel action.
Partly because I have a 29" ultra wide monitor that I place right behind my wheel base, but mostly because of getting used to it.
I use look left and right, mirrors, the relative black box, sound and if I'm ever not fully sure where a car is in relation to me I simply try to leave the space for it just in case. It's been very very long since I've been in an accident due to me not knowing who's around me on track.

Funny enough I turn in my best lap times and experience the most enjoyment and immersion with an "incorrect" pov.

Go enjoy whatever FOV you like and quit bashing people that use a different FOV and are trying to share the benefits of a "correct FOV". There is a mathematically correct FOV, but that doesn't mean it suits everyones tastes or that everyone should use it. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's wrong or a myth. And just because you're using an "incorrect" FOV doesn't mean you're a bad person or inferior to anyone else, so don't take it as an insult. Use what you enjoy and let others use what they enjoy. "You're using the wrong FOV." =/= "Hey, you're wrong and stupid and a terrible person because you're using the wrong FOV."

For the people preaching correct FOV it's because once we found it, and took the time to adapt to it, it completely transformed the experience for us, for the better, and we just want to share that with our fellow sim racers. Yes, it feels odd at first and yes it limits your peripheral vision but these things can be overcome with simple seat time (really, you shouldn't need to see out your side windows to know when another car is beside you). It's not something you instantly adapt to or find comfortable, but once you adjust to it then it can become a bit of a passion and we spend a lot of time (at least I do) tinkering with settings to get it just right.

I spent many years on console games where your FOV is way too wide and I just always thought that was correct. Once I got into the PC sims, using a "correct FOV" felt strange and confining at first, but eventually it all just "snapped" and I could feel the car all around me, feel where each corner of the car is, and place my car in the turns much more precisely and consistently. It was a "eureka moment". There are tangible benefits to using a proper FOV, enough so that those who have experienced it desperately want to share it with other to improve their experience as well. That doesn't make us extremists, or jerks, or elitists, it just means we're passionate about our hobby and want to share what we find with others who are also passionate about it.

That is all. :cheers:

i use no less than 55, even if the calculator says 45. I just don't like the idea of not being able to see the car next to me. I see no point in going for complete, total simulation. Do whatever you feel comfortable.
Re: hitting braking points and apexes, I seriously doubt FOV makes any difference whatsoever. Before I was even aware of FOV I always used something like 90 deg and I could hit braking points with perfect consistency (for my skill level anyway). Switching to the correct FOV didn't make me faster. Yes it did start feeling a lot more natural, but that is hardly a deciding factor in performance.

Go enjoy whatever FOV you like and quit bashing people that use a different FOV and are trying to share the benefits of a "correct FOV". There is a mathematically correct FOV, but that doesn't mean it suits everyones tastes or that everyone should use it. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's wrong or a myth. And just because you're using an "incorrect" FOV doesn't mean you're a bad person or inferior to anyone else, so don't take it as an insult. Use what you enjoy and let others use what they enjoy. "You're using the wrong FOV." =/= "Hey, you're wrong and stupid and a terrible person because you're using the wrong FOV."

For the people preaching correct FOV it's because once we found it, and took the time to adapt to it, it completely transformed the experience for us, for the better, and we just want to share that with our fellow sim racers. Yes, it feels odd at first and yes it limits your peripheral vision but these things can be overcome with simple seat time (really, you shouldn't need to see out your side windows to know when another car is beside you). It's not something you instantly adapt to or find comfortable, but once you adjust to it then it can become a bit of a passion and we spend a lot of time (at least I do) tinkering with settings to get it just right.

I spent many years on console games where your FOV is way too wide and I just always thought that was correct. Once I got into the PC sims, using a "correct FOV" felt strange and confining at first, but eventually it all just "snapped" and I could feel the car all around me, feel where each corner of the car is, and place my car in the turns much more precisely and consistently. It was a "eureka moment". There are tangible benefits to using a proper FOV, enough so that those who have experienced it desperately want to share it with other to improve their experience as well. That doesn't make us extremists, or jerks, or elitists, it just means we're passionate about our hobby and want to share what we find with others who are also passionate about it.

That is all. :cheers:
^-- This... quoted for truth! Well put Sir!

Switching to the correct FOV didn't make me faster. Yes it did start feeling a lot more natural, but that is hardly a deciding factor in performance.
I run correct FOV for added immersion, not performance, if I was looking for performance I would run every car with paddle shifters instead of a H-shifter and use auto blip etc, I use these peripherals because they add fun factor and immersion, as FOV does.
I did however become much more consistent once I got used to the correct FOV, and improved my driving. I find it easier to place my car on the track, making it easier to get close to the perfect line, but also easier to make room for other cars even though I can't see them due to limited peripheral vision, compromise... :)
Wow, I meant to post a single line comment and as usual I keep on rambling... :p

^-- This... quoted for truth! Well put Sir!

I wasn't trying to be antagonistic or anything, I just feel we're all entitled to enjoy the game how we please but NOT entitled to tell others how they should enjoy it. FOV is a scientific process with accurate results, but that doesn't mean everyone will care to use it. But, to give up on it after a few laps is not giving yourself enough time to adjust to it and give it a fair shake. For me, proper FOV completely transformed the experience for the better, something I hadn't experienced in nearly 15 years of "sim" racing, and a breakthrough of that magnitude makes me want to share it with everyone. But that doesn't mean everyone should use it, we all have different setups and desires and as long as we enjoy our game that's all that matters, regardless of what others think.

Mostly the wrong FOV (as in too high, which pretty much every non-sim racing game sets) makes corners feel straighter and other drivers farther away. I was surprised how big the other cars could get once I had the right FOV, almost like I was looking through a window at them instead of playing them in a videogame.

Mostly the wrong FOV (as in too high, which pretty much every non-sim racing game sets) makes corners feel straighter and other drivers farther away. I was surprised how big the other cars could get once I had the right FOV, almost like I was looking through a window at them instead of playing them in a videogame.

Exactly. That's an amazing feeling and it makes us want to share that with everyone else. Whether they use the advice is up to them. But neither side should be calling the other side names or making snide remarks about the others' preference...............makes me feel like I'm back at GTPlanet. :confused::D

Those fov calculators is not to be trusted. Tried Pcars my eyepoint is 170 cm away from my 50" monitor as to not get to severr pixel grid effect and it´s more relaxing for the eyes as well. I put 150 cm in the calculator and they suggested 19. It don´t look natural when playing with the onboard settings with seat pushed max back or max forward. Opposite to fisheye. Somewhere along 40 I can get a view that makes more sense. Thinking minimum 35 could be correct.

From Projection Immersion FOV calculator page(bottom of it):

Disclaimer: This calculator provides you a means to see what your mathematically correct FOV should be within certain games/sims to represent a 1:1 view against real life as close as possible and works best with a large monitor (or multiple) close to you as possible (between 22" and 33" from eyes to centre of screen). If your monitor is more than 1M away or you have a small monitor (< 22" diagonal) or both, then FOV is not that important to your experience and enjoyment.
-
That's the 'small print' I mentioned on top of this page. On my phone now so wont bother to link.

Tried Pcars my eyepoint is 170 cm away from my 50" monitor as to not get to severr pixel grid effect and it´s more relaxing for the eyes as well. I put 150 cm in the calculator and they suggested 19. It don´t look natural when playing with the onboard settings with seat pushed max back or max forward. Opposite to fisheye. Somewhere along 40 I can get a view that makes more sense. Thinking minimum 35 could be correct.
The calculator for Pcars with a 50 inch screen and 170 cm away give an Horizontal angle of 37 degree for Pcar, for Assetto Corsa, Vertical angle would be 21 degree
You are correct in your impression, 19 is not a viable FOV to enjoy a fulfilling SIM experience. 40 or 35 are excellent vertical FOV values, 40 vertical is equivalent to 63 for Horizontal degree value for Pcars.
What you could do, at some point, just for the fun of it, is to drive your sim at the distance that would give you 64 FOV for PCars with a 50 inch screen ( 90 cm)
Yes you are also correct if it is a 720P screen, the pixels are not optimum, but it will give you a good taste of what kind of SIM driving experience is obtainable using the proper calculated FOV.
If after a while you do not think it is better, then you can always go back to further away from the screen and enjoy your SIM the same as today.
There is no cost involved and it is just a question of preference at the end of the day. one certitude, it will put you in a position to make a choice based on your own experience. I have found out that the screen right behind the wheel base is a very good spot for the screen.

Last edited:
While you are technically correct, I find no issues with running the correct FOV in wheel to wheel action.
Partly because I have a 29" ultra wide monitor that I place right behind my wheel base, but mostly because of getting used to it.
I use look left and right, mirrors, the relative black box, sound and if I'm ever not fully sure where a car is in relation to me I simply try to leave the space for it just in case. It's been very very long since I've been in an accident due to me not knowing who's around me on track.

Kjell, what are you referring to with "the relative black box" in this post? I've been racking my brain with it. :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back