FOV Opinions Please

Have played around with FOV settings since the beginning. Have used the calculators, one suggests 31, one says 35 and another says 59 according to my monitor size and position from me.
Width 19" Height 10.5" Distance to eyes 30". None have felt right.
So I decided to try and go for a more natural look as you would see behind the wheel. Set FOV to 65
set seat position to how I think it would look. Have uploaded a video for some feedback on this, apologies for quality it was recorded using frapps, and forgive the spin off. Also used is FaceTrackNOIR.
Not my best lap but I go more for realism than breaking records, although any feedback on this would be appreciated.

@Jim Liak you need to find a way to get closer to that screen.
I mentioned earlier that I might modify my custom built tv cabinet so on Saturday I bought some heavy duty, 45kg rated, 22" (57cm?), full extention drawer slides:confused:. Plan is to make a platform for the TV which weighs about 25 kgs so I can slide it forward about 30 cm or so which is what I need with my rig to get to a 40 FOV. I will make a custom brace to support the TV as it overhangs the cabinet just in case:geek: If I remember to take pics I might post them for further clarification:)

Feel sorry for these guys, Doing it all so wrong and not even knowing it...Perhaps the pov purists need to have a word.

20468g.jpg

Feel sorry for these guys, Doing it all so wrong and not even knowing it...Perhaps the pov purists need to have a word.

20468g.jpg
I sense a tone of sarcasm in your post but I'm going to take it at face value and say that I find it a bit frightening to think that sim developers can be so ignorant and uninformed about the subject, if anyone should set their rig up correctly then it has to be those who are making these games...

According to the fov-calc i should use a fov of 22-23 degrees (27" at 85-90cm) which is ridicoulusy small really.
Been driving for a while with fov 30, and even though i can it feels I loose out on so much else that I probably will go back to at least fov 50.
It certainly do not make me faster just by using a so called "correct" fov. :)

There is no perfect FOV if you ask me, its just a matter of personal preference
For a single monitor, I agree. Using one screen is already a compromise, so do what you like to compensate (I use 56 in AC when using my monitor). For triples, there is less compromise, so a correct FOV that places the cockpit around you to scale as accurately as possible is more desirable. The ultimate expression of requiring a correct FOV is a VR headset, where there genuinely is only one correct FOV, and that is automatically determined by the user's IPD. In the future, when headsets are the norm, FOV discussions should be a thing of the past. Hooray!:D

20468g.jpg
The screen could be closer, but the FOV does not seem to be to far off, also it depends on what it is they are testing. Don't worry they, at Kunos, know all about the advantages of proper FOV . If you have to feel sorry for someone, be sorry for those who do not get the importance of it for their personnal enjoyment of the best SIM out there

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Cote Dazur, post: 1912674], member: 152302". If you have to feel sorry for someone, be sorry for those who do get the importance of it for their personnal enjoyment of the best SIM out there[/QUOTE]

oh I do, It weighs heavy on my shoulders.

Spelling mistake aside (which sort of reverses the assumed intent of your post) Its a tragedy when personal preference over rides the shrill voices of a small groups of fanatics insisting everyone else is misguided, That there is only one truth, and to ignore it is a sin.

oh I do, It weighs heavy on my shoulders.

Spelling mistake aside (which sort of reverses the assumed intent of your post) Its a tragedy when personal preference over rides the shrill voices of a small groups of fanatics insisting everyone else is misguided, That there is only one truth, and to ignore it is a sin.

Now who's misunderstanding here, you or this "small group of fanatics".
There IS something called a correct FOV, it's not debatable, it's physics and math, saying you don't believe there's such a thing is like saying you don't believe the earth is round...
Is this the perfect FOV? That depends on your setup. If you have a setup with screen real estate that covers your entire field of view then there's no arguing what the right FOV setting is.
When you're not running that, for instance if you're using 1 - 3 monitors at a certain distance from your eyes, it's a question about compromise, you run the FOV that works well for you but preferably as close as possible to the correct FOV, because that's when things look in scale for your brain.

I've not seen anyone here trying to force anyone else into using a FOV they don't like, I haven't seen anyone bashing other people for not running the correct FOV, but what I have seen is people bashing others for trying to spread knowledge among fellow members in the community in the topic of FOV. Just because we try to share and discuss this with people, we are a angry mob of crazy fanatics...?

Finally:
Are anyone forcing you to run the correct FOV? Certainly not!
Can you enjoy and be fast running a non-correct FOV? Absolutely!
Are there benefits to non-correct FOV? It's a compromise in non perfect scenarios, so yes.
Are there drawbacks to correct FOV? Unless you are in a perfect scenario, then yes.

I'm in the compromise camp, I lowered mine from 54 to 35.The app tells me 29. It feels better to me and I have a freetrack setup which aids my peripheral vision. I'm slightly bothered though that I can't turn my head more than 60 degrees though. I've tried altering the ini files to increase it to no effect. Does anyone know a workaround?

Now who's misunderstanding here, you or this "small group of fanatics".
There IS something called a correct FOV, it's not debatable, it's physics and math, saying you don't believe there's such a thing is like saying you don't believe the earth is round...
Is this the perfect FOV? That depends on your setup. If you have a setup with screen real estate that covers your entire field of view then there's no arguing what the right FOV setting is.
When you're not running that, for instance if you're using 1 - 3 monitors at a certain distance from your eyes, it's a question about compromise, you run the FOV that works well for you but preferably as close as possible to the correct FOV, because that's when things look in scale for your brain.

I've not seen anyone here trying to force anyone else into using a FOV they don't like, I haven't seen anyone bashing other people for not running the correct FOV, but what I have seen is people bashing others for trying to spread knowledge among fellow members in the community in the topic of FOV. Just because we try to share and discuss this with people, we are a angry mob of crazy fanatics...?

Finally:
Are anyone forcing you to run the correct FOV? Certainly not!
Can you enjoy and be fast running a non-correct FOV? Absolutely!
Are there benefits to non-correct FOV? It's a compromise in non perfect scenarios, so yes.
Are there drawbacks to correct FOV? Unless you are in a perfect scenario, then yes.

It's also worth pointing out, using this "correct" FOV on one screen can be outright dangerous in wheel-to-wheel racing situations. With no peripheral vision you have no idea where the other car is unless you have some head tracking function. In league racing, using this FOV is all but optimal.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 61 29.3%
  • More leagues

Votes: 39 18.8%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.3%