Formula One to Scrap 'Halo' Concept

Honestly, FIA, put F1 cars inside a kevlar reinforced bubble. That should do it for safety. Because the drivers definitely don't know the risks they take for the paychecks they're getting. Or here's another thought: why not use that shield material for the helmet visor, and actually make helmets from something beside styrofoam?

I know your post is flippant, but the material of the helmet is irrelevant here. At the speeds they're going, it doesn't matter; if something like a spring hits your helmet you're going to be in very rough shape. In that small of a space, it's impossible to absorb the force of impact without it getting to the drivers' heads. The shield means that those objects simple don't make it to the head and eliminates the problem entirely. Also, with a shallow angle like in the images, the object will be deflected away from the car; so the material doesn't have to be that strong, since the force is deflected.

I'm all for the shield. The halo was a moronic idea that you'd have to be stupid to support. The whole reason these things were even in consideration was Massa's accident, and the spring would have still hit him in the face if there was a halo on his car. Aesthetics aside, it just wouldn't do a damn thing.

It will be deflected - as long as its trajectory doesnt hit STRAIGHT INTO the cockpit. But the shield looks pretty good. Vibes from the past. :)

They created solution for a problem that doesnt exist. Drivers are the last whos having a though before signing the contract, that its dangerous and you might lose your life. One of the reasons why there was racing heroes back in the days. Not anymore... Protect this and that and blaa blaa, tracks are ruined with stupid run of areas. There was challenge in the past to keep your car away from sandtrap. Modern this and that, thats why all goes dull. Everything is pulling away from nature, and thats bad, human needs exitement to live full speed. Now everything is just going round and round and round and... Blaah. There is still only couple big motorsport events where you get full adrenaline rush. Top Fuel and Isle Of Man TT. Man, machine, road. Live or die, win or lose... your choice! But those second's, or couple of minutes... It was living!

They created solution for a problem that doesnt exist. Drivers are the last whos having a though before signing the contract, that its dangerous and you might lose your life. One of the reasons why there was racing heroes back in the days. Not anymore... Protect this and that and blaa blaa, tracks are ruined with stupid run of areas. There was challenge in the past to keep your car away from sandtrap. Modern this and that, thats why all goes dull. Everything is pulling away from nature, and thats bad, human needs exitement to live full speed. Now everything is just going round and round and round and... Blaah. There is still only couple big motorsport events where you get full adrenaline rush. Top Fuel and Isle Of Man TT. Man, machine, road. Live or die, win or lose... your choice! But those second's, or couple of minutes... It was living!
while i agree with your statement regarding runoffs, your complaint about this being a problem that doesn't exist is simply incorrect. Go ask henry surtees.........#RIP

while i agree with your statement regarding runoffs, your complaint about this being a problem that doesn't exist is simply incorrect. Go ask henry surtees.........#RIP
Did you read all?... Do it again slowly and think, you might understand what i wrote. Dont need to say nothing about Henry or Jules or Ayrton etc.

Did you read all?... Do it again slowly and think, you might understand what i wrote. Dont need to say nothing about Henry or Jules or Ayrton etc.

"Hey, let's kill people for sport!"

That's what your post says. Your post says the sport is boring because it isn't dangerous. That's simply incorrect.

The sport (F1) is boring because there's no on track action. WEC is exciting because the cars are actually passing eachother and having real battles on the track. And those cars are quite safe and quite fast.

Making the sport safer isn't what ruined F1.

They should just stop this b******, admit that F1 is a dangerous sport, and get over it ...

They already do. And those drivers that still have blood flow in their testicles AND common sense acknowledge the danger but also acknowledge the sport's attraction is at least in part due to the danger. Oh, and they also acknowledge the salaries as being "pretty fair".

Last edited:
man those 2018 F-E cars looks sexy... oh wait.

jokes apart, I'm a defender of a closed cockpit jet fighter style. I think it will not only bring more protection to the driver but aerodynamics advantages. plus, open wheel doesn't have to mean open cockpit. and no, it wont be a LMP1 car and will still be F1.

and I'm just going to leave this here:
C-Wga41W0AAb38Z.jpg:large

just Jim Clark using this new shield concept before it was cool and when F1 was way way way more dangerous.

jokes apart, I'm a defender of a closed cockpit jet fighter style. I think it will not only bring more protection to the driver but aerodynamics advantages. plus, open wheel doesn't have to mean open cockpit. and no, it wont be a LMP1 car and will still be F1.

just Jim Clark using this new shield concept before it was cool and when F1 was way way way more dangerous.

I love me some 60s open wheel :inlove:

Kinda like the shield idea, but that huge black frame on top on the Red Bull car...
Soon in our simulations...
cockpit view with black frame occupying 2/3 of our monitor view.

I respect every decision the FIA makes if it is for the safety of the drivers. I can say with pretty big confidence that none of you have ever encountered driving anything like F1 cars and I think none of you (including me) can make a statement about the safety off F1 drivers. You can question the looks but in the end the drivers have to decide if they use it or not.
My solution for the decision of the additional safety would be that the cars with Halo or whatever it is called have no deficits to the cars without. So the drivers could choose if they use it or not without having any disadvantages.
I would like that the LMP1 series doesn't get that second-graded after F1 and would gain a little bit more presence with more TV-broadcasting and more.

I agree , I think it looks awesome , Like a stealth fighter or something ,
Specially on these new car designs from current F1 ,
I Also watched Massas accident live on TV ,
I am all for this design as it will stop , a lot of flying objects getting close to the drivers ,
How can safety be a bad thing ? If its proven ? :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back