F1 2010 Formula One 2010 (Codemasters)

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
As seen on autosport.com - F1 News: New computer game deal for F1:

Formula One is to have its first official computer game in more than two years next season following the capture of a new official licencing deal with British gaming company Codemasters, autosport.com can reveal.
With Sony having published the most recent official F1 game last summer, based on the 2006 season and available only on PlayStation consoles, Codemasters' deal will see F1 return to a multiformat platform for the first time in many years.
The game is set to be available on all major home consoles, as well as handheld and PC gaming formats.
After weeks of discussion between Codemasters and Formula One Administration, it is anticipated that the company will produce the first game next year, based on the 2009 F1 season. This will be the first game that Lewis Hamilton will appear in.
Rod Cousens, chief executive officers of Codemasters, said: "Formula One is ambitious in expanding its reach with more circuits planned beyond recent additions in the Middle East and China. It is also ambitious in expanding its reach via technology.
"The digital communities that computer and video gaming creates will play a key role in further growing the F1 audience and connecting them globally.
"As a world-leading creator of driving games, this alliance with F1 is the jewel in Codemasters' racing crown and creates an undisputed segment champion."
Chris Deering, chairman of Codemasters, added: "Codemasters' success and recent innovations in the racing game space makes the company more than appropriately tuned for the challenge.
"The combination of F1's new momentum of expansion and Codemasters' contemporary technology and past experience is the breaking of a new dawn for the sport, on the track and on the HD game screen."
Codemasters Studios has already begun preparations for the major task of creating the new game, by strengthening their team with personnel from the now defunct Sega Racing Studio.
There are 350 people working on the project, which will be based on the EGO Engine that Codemasters has put to good use on the Colin McRae: DIRT and soon-to-be-released Race Driver: GRID titles.

As a site that caters for multiple platforms its disappointing to see such misinformed views of not only the users of those platforms but also the capabilities of the consoles. Codemasters have said in the past that they developed the EGO engine to not be platform specific, a game engine these days is very modular and able to be scaled to suit the hardware its being used on. I have console games that support 16,32,64 and even 256 players. The reason most console games support 8-16 players is because typically they use a peer to peer system, a player will host the other 8-16 players. Some games use dedicated servers but they tend to be first party studio's owned by the platform holder such as Sony who hosts servers for the popular Warhawk game which supports 32 players and also M.A.G which supports 256 players. Far from being 'kiddies' or any other condescending description you might use the average age would be much higher than you might think in my experience.

Even on CM's site console players are complaining about "kiddies" who will be on the MP side doing nothing but crashing people out. I thought I was being clear when I stated that not all console owners are "kiddies". I was trying to seperate serious players from the kids. There IS a higher proportion of "younger people" who play on consoles as opposed to PCs.

And as more info comes out on the game, there will not be dedicated servers, only "rooms", only 12 max online with no ability to fill out the grid with AI. This is all but a sop to the consoles and strongly hints that the F1 2010 will be a console game ported to the PC. Are you aware you won't even be able to drive the pit lane? It's Autopit from entrance to exit. CM is trying to sell the full immersion with it's Live The Life aspect of the game. You can do interviews and negotiate contracts (rides), but you can't reall do all the driving. Realistic? Not to me.

There are a number of people on their forum complaining on how PC DIRTx doesn't even have proper PC controls in their menus: no use of the mouse (I don't know to what extent, I don't have the game).

CM has admitted the game is an SP game. They will try to focus more on the MP side for F1 2011. I myself will wait for F1 2011 and see what that offers.

F1 2010

F1 2010™’s SIMULATION-FOCUSSED CAR HANDLING WILL DELIVER THE ‘MOST AUTHENTIC EXPERIENCE’
Simulation-based handling in F1 2010 will benefit all players says Chief Games Designer in new Developer Video now available at www.formula1-game.com.
"The car handling in F1 2010, the forthcoming official game of the 2010 FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP™, will focus on simulation authenticity, developers Codemasters Studios revealed today in the second F1 2010 developer video, now available to view at www.formula1-game.com.
"The preference has always been to go down the simulation path," said Stephen Hood, Chief Games Designer, "You can make a realistic sim easier to play for somebody but it’s very difficult to take an arcade handling system and make that appeal to people who prefer simulation handling."
Taking FORMULA ONE™ fans further behind the scenes of F1 2010™, the ‘Handling’ developer diary also features new gameplay footage and former FORMULA ONE test driver Anthony Davidson, discussing the development team’s aim to create the "most authentic experience possible."
In the developer diary, Anthony Davidson, who has been embedded into the team, explains the unique ‘twitchy’ way in which FORMULA ONE cars handle and how this is translated into authentic gameplay. His experience, combined with real world data and feedback from the teams, drivers and tyre manufacturers is enabling the F1 2010 team to bring alive the sensation of being an F1 racing driver like never before. As in real life, aerodynamics plays a pivotal role in racing, and players will feel how cars can corner at extremely high speed yet perform very differently at lower speeds.
FORMULA ONE fans can view the new developer diary at www.formula1-game.com, the home for all the latest screens, news and videos straight from the studio. F1 2010 is coming this September for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft®, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC Games For Windows®.
ABOUT F1 2010
F1 2010 is the official game of the 2010 FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP™ and will include all of the official teams, drivers and circuits from this thrilling season. F1 2010 will challenge players to take on the best drivers on the planet in a range of game modes, from quick-fire races to full Grand Prix weekends and a career mode that can span either three, five or seven years.
In production at Codemasters Studios Birmingham, F1 2010 is being developed on the EGO™ Game Technology Platform, an evolution of the engine that powered the critically acclaimed, million-plus selling Colin McRae™: DiRT 2 and Race Driver: GRID™. The award-winning, under-the hood tech has been tuned to recreate the unique aerodynamics and handling of 200MPH+ FORMULA ONE cars for players to feel the thrill of competing at the pinnacle of motorsport.

Now this is really good news i am so glad it is not going to be like grid and dirt now all i need to do is make my mind up as to what game to get ps3/pc.

are RD going to be running this game if so i will get it for the pc

Does anyone have contact with someone at Simbin?

The reason I ask is that there is a huge thread over at the CM F1 2010 forum with some very heated discussion about dedicated servers, "rooms", PC vs. console (for full grid), etc. A CM spokesman has just posted that they can't do dedicated servers with their limited resources. I was just wondering how much in the way of "resources" Simbin needed to do DS's for the RACE xx series.

If it took alot, then CM has a point. If it was simple programming, or a modified application, and took no time at all, then CM is talking out of its . . . . you know.

In stead of pure dedi-server support they could also choose like the old shooters did, when one PC acted as 'server'. So all peers listen to this only server and not like the n00bish peer 2 peer we see nowadays in games. We have enough people on RD with good down/upload streams to host it ourselves, if our servers cannot handle the graphical interface that comes with it.

Another option is to just allow the PC users to change the setting of max drivers and see how it works. Maybe it works ok on 18/20/22/etc clients. Thats it better than this limited 12 which really is not done. Even nkpro support 15.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.