Formula One 1951 [RF1] by O.R.M

Cars Formula One 1951 [RF1] by O.R.M 2.9.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
Gabe (ITA) submitted a new resource:

Formula One 1951 [RF1] by O.R.M - Made by O.R.M. Modding Team, 2023

WARNING: the download button should redirect to Mega.nz, under permission of the RD staff. If you get "WAITING FOR APPROVAL BY RD.txt" just wait a bit longer until the embed is done by RD itself. Thank you for your patience :)

After 4 years of work, the O.R.M. Team is proud to present to you the 1951 Formula 1 Season, for rFactor 1: experience the difficulty...​

Read more about this resource...

Fantastic mod, but what's up with the BRM's gearbox? even on the shortest final drive it is an absolute slog to get out of 1st gear, completely flat out and the revs are just too low and there's no speed, then suddenly they spike and 2nd-4th gear are all super short and close together. Is this a bug or was the BRM really like this? I'm having to clutch kick like crazy to get the revs up off the start line!

Fantastic mod, but what's up with the BRM's gearbox? even on the shortest final drive it is an absolute slog to get out of 1st gear, completely flat out and the revs are just too low and there's no speed, then suddenly they spike and 2nd-4th gear are all super short and close together. Is this a bug or was the BRM really like this? I'm having to clutch kick like crazy to get the revs up off the start line!
Hi! Test driver of the mod here!

Yes, that's pretty much how the BRM goes... personally, it's my least favourite car of the mod..

There's nothing wrong with the gearbox, it's just that the engine's power delivery is all kinds of wrong, especially in a GP single seater that's supposed to work on road courses...

Thing is, unlike the other supercharged cars, that used Roots-type superchargers, the BRMs employed centrifugal superchargers. With centrifugal superchargers, the more revs you got, the more boost it makes.

That means the engine is pretty much useless on low revs. Then as the revs rise, the superchargers starts to work, and all of a sudden, there's more power than you can handle at high revs. For example, drivers of the car in period, like Ken Wharton for example, said that launching it off the line at 6,000rpm would just stall the engine, but launch it beyond 7,000rpm, and you'll light up the rear tires.

That makes the car very unfriendly at road circuits. Fangio raced one at Dundrod in 1952, and called it the "tortures of the damned", as the sudden "kicks" of the power delivery made driving very difficult.

So, yeah, as the mod's test driver (drove all the cars for more miles than I care to remember), yeah, the only advice I can give, which never always work, is keep the revs up to around 6,500-7,000 rpm, that is, if you can manage to control the car...

Last edited:
Hi! Test driver of the mod here!

Yes, that's pretty much how the BRM goes... personally, it's my least favourite car of the mod..

There's nothing wrong with the gearbox, it's just that the engine's power delivery is all kinds of wrong, especially in a GP single seater that's supposed to work on road courses...

Thing is, unlike the other supercharged cars, that used Roots-type superchargers, the BRMs employed centrifugal superchargers. With centrifugal superchargers, the more revs you got, the more boost it makes.

That means the engine is pretty much useless on low revs. Then as the revs rise, the superchargers starts to work, and all of a sudden, there's more power than you can handle at high revs. For example, drivers of the car in period, like Ken Wharton for example, said that launching it off the line at 6,000rpm would just stall the engine, but launch it beyond 7,000rpm, and you'll light up the rear tires.

That makes the car very unfriendly at road circuits. Fangio raced one at Dundrod in 1952, and called it the "tortures of the damned", as the sudden "kicks" of the power delivery made driving very difficult.

So, yeah, as the mod's test driver (drove all the cars for more miles than I care to remember), yeah, the only advice I can give, which never always work, is keep the revs up to around 6,500-7,000 rpm, that is, if you can manage to control the car...
Wow, that's honestly really interesting and makes a lot of sense. Might be worth giving it a go around a track like Brooklands or Indianapolis then, somewhere easier to keep the revs high. Obviously not historically accurate, but the car might make a bit more sense there :p

Wow, that's honestly really interesting and makes a lot of sense. Might be worth giving it a go around a track like Brooklands or Indianapolis then, somewhere easier to keep the revs high. Obviously not historically accurate, but the car might make a bit more sense there :p
Basically anywhere with at the very least, few, medium speed corners, and it might work, somehow...

I'd not recommend Brooklands, though. I've never driven any of the cars around Brooklands, but the mod's fastest cars felt pretty unsafe in those old, bumpy, banked tracks, and handling-wise, the BRM is the worst of them.

So, yeah, my guess it might work in Indianapolis...

I must say, as one of the researchers and mod test driver, thanks to everyone for the reviews, it is very much appreciated.

As for @TheRealJuralumin's review, indeed, we really tried to make the cars as unique as possible to their own...

For example, the swing rear axle cars like the 159/50 and 159/51 Alfettas and the Ferrari 125GP, they really thrive on fast, flowing tracks. Modern tracks which were slow and with twisty, technical corners weren't their strong suit, though one can still use the vast power of the Alfas to get a small advantage. Historic racer Willie Green raced an Alfetta at the Monaco GP Historique in 1997, and said that the swing axle car is "unsuited" to the 1997 layout of Monaco, and yet, he still managed to use some of the power advantage to fight for the lead until the end. Early braking is the name of the game for these cars, as they weren't designed to fight in the corners anyway...

The Ferrari 375s were fast, but ultimately won't be able to match the Alfettas in terms of sheer grunt. Instead they were banking on being able to at least stay close enough, and stay out for much longer while the Alfettas would have to pull over for fuel, inevitably...

The BRM, it is quick in a straight line, easily almost as fast as the Alfettas, but were absolutely terrible elsewhere, as it was in real life. At the 1950 Penya Rhin GP at Pedralbes, for example, the BRMs were timed down the main straight at speeds way faster than the works 375, but were still lapping 7 seconds slower than the Ferraris, such was the time lost on the corners. We tried to model that accordingly, still, there were some characteristics we can't do. For example, if you were to look very closely at the footage of the BRMs in the opening movie, you'll see that the front wheels were wobbling about as the car negotiates a corner!

The Talbot-Lagos and the Maseratis have absolutely no hope of catching the Alfas and the Ferrari 375s, but they could produce great racing amongst themselves. The Talbot is also very fuel-efficient. On some occasions, they are known to be able to finish whole race distances without stopping for fuel!

And, the Addendum; the Grand Prix Cisistalia. We had to do some workarounds for that one...

Thing is, the Cisitalia was designed to have a selectable 4-wheel drive system. When the driver is about to launch the car from a standstill, or accelerating out of slow corners, the driver could engage the front drive by means of a lever near the steering column, and then disengage it afterwards to reduce drivetrain power losses. Sadly, in rFactor, it's just a choice of rear-wheel drive, front-wheel drive, or 4-wheel drive, you can't have a 4 wheel drive system that you can just switch off while driving, like what was intended on the Cisitalia in real life... which gave us a bit of a dilemma...

We felt that we can't just model the car as a rear-wheel drive, as that would deprive it of one of its key design features. But it's not right to just model the car as a full four-wheel drive as well, as the four-wheel drive system is not supposed to be in use all the time in the car...

So, in the end, we decided to model it as a four-wheel drive, but with more power going to the rear wheels. That way, we felt that while the front wheels provide drive, it won't give as much help as it should be, as, the system is not supposed to be in use all the time anyway...

Last edited:
Thank you for the additional history and background. This makes the mod even more interesting and immersive. "Selectable four wheel drive." Wow. So much freedom to innovate. Imagine ...
Yeah, the Cisitalia also has a 5-speed sequential gearbox.

Sadly, I think Porsche design studios got carried away with all this. The Cisitalia is, indeed, packed with so much goodies, but turning these drawings into real working parts takes time, effort, and more importantly, money. Making all these complicated bits drained Cisitalia founder Piero Dusio's funds that he had to practically bail out and move to Argentina, consequently, the Cisitalia was never developed properly, and ultimately never got to race...

For me, if they had just kept things a little bit simpler in the meantime, and, say, just set aside the four wheel drive system as a later improvement, then Dusio might still have enough money to properly develop the rest, and at least a slightly simpler version of the Cisitalia might've actually raced int he 1950s...

Last edited:
ORM usually makes brilliant vintage mods. Waiting forward to try this one. Thanks for sharing.
Maybe we'll start a discussion about 51 tracks links ?
So far, the best mod track I've used with these cars in the 1958 Spa mod by FDsign and philrob. Visually stunning and seems highly accurate to real life (comparing to first-party historic Spa versions in rF2 and AMS2).

Other suggestions for suitable track mods? I suppose the many GPL conversions, even though those are tracks from the 60s?

So far, the best mod track I've used with these cars in the 1958 Spa mod by FDsign and philrob. Visually stunning and seems highly accurate to real life (comparing to first-party historic Spa versions in rF2 and AMS2).

Other suggestions for suitable track mods? I suppose the many GPL conversions, even though those are tracks from the 60s?
Hm, there's Bremgarten 1954... not that much of a fan of it, but that's pretty close as well...

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.