Formula 1 2022 | Pre-Season Thread

Piastri will surely be on the F1 grid by 2023. He really should have a full time drive already, but no-one doubts the talen, he's the next in line at Alpine, and if they don't have a seat free next year I'm sure someone will try and poach him.

Zhou getting the call up instead isn't as silly as it may seem at first. He's had more test drives in an F1 car than Piastri, had to multitask last year between world F2 and F3 Asia (the latter of which he won), and Piastri had the benefit of joining defending F2 champions Prema. None of this makes Zhou a better driver than Piastri, but it's not like he's that much worse if at all, so he deserves a fair shot at F1.

Last edited:
F F1. Not watching a "sport" where they completely change the rules five minutes before the end of the final match.
I have religiously followed F1 for roughly 60 years, from Jim Clark through the "slaughter" years with Jackie Stewart, through Senna Prost Schumacher Alonso and Lewis. F1 has given me thousands of hours of enjoyment over the years, and there's often been bitter controversy, but never like this. This was the indefensible deliberate considered destruction of the spirit of F1 and of honest competition. F1 can no longer be viewed as a n honest contest, it's now blatantly and unapologetically a contrived entertainment, like pro wrestling.
So while I still marvel at the skill of the drivers and teams, and while I will always cherish the memories I have of the past, I've canceled my F1 subscriptions, and I truly have zero interest any more in seeing who the despicable devious diabolical FIA decides to manipulate into a "champion" this year.
In my personal record book, F1 ended for all time in December in Abu Dhabi. F F1.

F F1. Not watching a "sport" where they completely change the rules five minutes before the end of the final match.
I have religiously followed F1 for roughly 60 years, from Jim Clark through the "slaughter" years with Jackie Stewart, through Senna Prost Schumacher Alonso and Lewis. F1 has given me thousands of hours of enjoyment over the years, and there's often been bitter controversy, but never like this. This was the indefensible deliberate considered destruction of the spirit of F1 and of honest competition. F1 can no longer be viewed as a n honest contest, it's now blatantly and unapologetically a contrived entertainment, like pro wrestling.
So while I still marvel at the skill of the drivers and teams, and while I will always cherish the memories I have of the past, I've canceled my F1 subscriptions, and I truly have zero interest any more in seeing who the despicable devious diabolical FIA decides to manipulate into a "champion" this year.
In my personal record book, F1 ended for all time in December in Abu Dhabi. F F1.
Should have stopped watching after the first race of 2021 then, when track limits suddenly changed mid race. But I guess that was fine right?

Regarding Lewis, he is one of the greatest drivers ever. So F1 is better with him in my opinion.

That said, I don't feel Mercedes lost the drivers' championship due to Masi. They also lost it, in part, to agreeing rule changes to their detriment when they were on top, turning up less prepared in preseason, making a series of team and pitstop errors, and comparing themselves to Verstappen as opposed to racing their own race calmly. Their car was fine by Brazil.

The whole last lap scenario in Abu Dhabi is a bit like when Norris stayed out in the wet too long for track position at Sochi when he was in first. Nothing more, nothing less. Hamilton capitalized on being second in that scenario and didn't seem to have a problem with the unfairness of sudden last lap change.

In general, weather, and safety cars, and racing too close detriments the race leader if they prioritise track position.

Safety car rules probably can be enforced more clearly and consistently and the FIA can do better to not change the goalposts, in a variety of scenarios, but it wouldn't be the first inconsistency that needs solving in F1.

For example, a traction control option and less spray so they can race in Spa in the wet, overtaking regulations that don't allow squeezing and pushing contact off the track of any kind in order to achieve pure racing, less raised sausage danger kerbs, more gravel at dangerous run off, more penalties for not slowing immediately during yellows or trying to gain advantage off the track during crashes and risky areas, etcetera...

As for the cars themselves, perhaps try not being about computer adjustments on steering wheels. Maybe be more robust to take a kerb.

Rant over.
The problem is Lewis brings fans into F1. So if he dose not retern in 2022 then his fans who care about him and only him will loose intrest. The problem is Mercedes went for a longer wheelbase and also Aston Martin (They copied car when they where force India) The other teams use shorter wheelbase and car run more rake (Lift the rear end higher for airo) Having a long wheelbase limits Rake as tires are further apart. Tracks in F1 focus on turns more than straightaways, so short wheelbase is the way to go. Thogh the designer of the Mercedes disagrees.

The problem is Massi had to make a split second decision. And deal with people radioing to moan. The 2022 season has a rule 1 person who is the technical director can talk to Massi per team. Its hard to make a descision on the fly with little time to think. Masi has the right to re rite rules. We needed 1 more lap of pace car but that would give Lewis the tittle. We had to have Max in 2nd as he was the better driver this year, Lewis was of his game. Thogh his fans will say he was robed. Like my Nan used to say "cant win them all" Being a referee is the hardest job as you have to be fair to both challengers and not help one over the other. When a team looses at any sport you always blame Ref. Becuse it is easier than admitting Lewis or his team messed up. 2nd place is nothing to be ashamed of.

The problem is Massi had to make a split second decision. And deal with people radioing to moan. The 2022 season has a rule 1 person who is the technical director can talk to Massi per team. Its hard to make a descision on the fly with little time to think. Masi has the right to re rite rules. We needed 1 more lap of pace car but that would give Lewis the tittle. We had to have Max in 2nd as he was the better driver this year, Lewis was of his game. Thogh his fans will say he was robed. Like my Nan used to say "cant win them all" Being a referee is the hardest job as you have to be fair to both challengers and not help one over the other. When a team looses at any sport you always blame Ref. Becuse it is easier than admitting Lewis or his team messed up. 2nd place is nothing to be ashamed of.
As for not watching they always say that. At the end of the day you will watch and moan becuse Lewiss is not a good driver. Hes just been in a good car. But along comes Max in a better car. Its called evolution and old people usually don't like it. I wont say F1 is perfect it has stupid rules and lately i feel there is to much politics. Rule makers giving into bullying from teams. I wish Bernie was in the show he would not tolerate teams trying to manipulate the rules.

Strange, where were these feelings when Tyrell were handed draconian punishments in 1984, for in essence refusing to run a turbo?

Or in 1989, when Prost was handed a title after Senna got disqualified for cutting the chicane when he was just trying to get his car started up again?

Or in 1994, when the FIA tried to gift Damon Hill a title because they thought Schumacher's Benneton was illegal but couldn't prove jack?

And what do you make of 2005, when the rule changes were specifically intended to stop Ferrari from winning after 5 Schumacher and 6 WCC titles in a row?

In summary, alleged BS in Formula 1 is nothing new. In recent years you had the double points finale that only lasted one year, knockout qualifying which only lasted two races, Vettel having a win stolen from him at Canada 2019, and several more I'm likely forgetting.

Strange, where were these feelings when Tyrell were handed draconian punishments in 1984, for in essence refusing to run a turbo?

Or in 1989, when Prost was handed a title after Senna got disqualified for cutting the chicane when he was just trying to get his car started up again?

Or in 1994, when the FIA tried to gift Damon Hill a title because they thought Schumacher's Benneton was illegal but couldn't prove jack?

And what do you make of 2005, when the rule changes were specifically intended to stop Ferrari from winning after 5 Schumacher and 6 WCC titles in a row?

In summary, alleged BS in Formula 1 is nothing new. In recent years you had the double points finale that only lasted one year, knockout qualifying which only lasted two races, Vettel having a win stolen from him at Canada 2019, and several more I'm likely forgetting.
The Benetton had traction control but they used a random access drive to store the data. I had one on a Amiga 500 and in Windows with true crypt. It is basically a hidden drive that was access by a laptop and pressing space-bar the drive name was listed as a underscore like this (_) When car was shut off it would delete drive and contents. When there is a start from the grid a laptop is used to open empty drive and send data to car. Makes you wonder why laptops are plunged into cars and what data is going into car or out of car. The FIA could not find anything as they did not know there was a encrypted hidden drive. Anyone with general knowledge of PC's will know how simple it is to do this.

Last edited:
That is 5 years to late. To me all was very clear in Baku 2017. When they waited and they would never even give penalty to Vettel if Hamilton didn't have (pit requiring) problem with headrest. Then I woke up and enjoyed 5 years without F1, 23x2h=46h of racing replaced by Le Mans/N24/Daytona24/Bathurst/Spa24 = 120h of better racing and many more free weekends.

During that time I realised that F1 was always constructor sport which was run by politics. Always was and always will be, just seams they don't know how to hide it now without Bernie.

Back to topic, I hope that all "drama" about Hamilton is over and he is staying + that no team runs away with the season.

Yeah switch back to Pre-Season 2022 not Past-Season 2021. So tired to read the same blah we had at the last race thread.

Anyway, so Alfa Romeo now changed their name from Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN to Alfa Romeo F1 Team ORLEN

Last edited:
Not strictly F1 thought.

Max did a test in a Porsche GT3 the past weekend at Estoril (you can check it on his Instagram)
  • And im thinking. Could it be just a test because he didnt have anything to do on the weekend?
  • Maybe trying to get a feel for the smaller sidewall tires of Pirelli before the 2022 preseason test?
  • Or the most exciting option, that he is actually attending a GT3 race, Kyalami 9h maybe? Or warming up for something bigger? WEC will implement GT3s for the sport car class next year. IMSA already has.
What are your thoughts ? It could be just for fun. But its fun speculating :roflmao:

I've only been watching around 30 years but agree with much of this. I might still watch some races this year, I'm still interested in the new technology and the new cars but less in the sporting side. I feel sad and depressed about it - I have been obsessed with F1 for many years and I'm still resort to reading and discussing but I want to focus on watching other racing that I think is more positive and less toxic.

Should have stopped watching after the first race of 2021 then, when track limits suddenly changed mid race. But I guess that was fine right?
This is a really good point, and for me the season finale is just about the final straw. The track limits over the last several seasons has been more and more of a problem for me.

I think the rules say the white lines are the boundaries... Imaging a football game where the referees decide that just one side of one end will be required to stay inside the sideline.

Yep, and I can go along for a certain amount... however it's been wearing me down with many issues they should have dealt with better.

Another significant one for me is last year was inconsistent stewarding of driver standards where drivers force other drivers off track.

Brazil was an absolute shocker for the stewards.

Saudi race the stewards took too long to instruct the position reversal which in tern contributed to the following malarky.

The first lap of the final race the teams and commentators were focused on gained advantage from leaving the track, I think the stewards might have made ruling that was more to do with a driver being forced off track but I think the communication was poor.

I think the final call was phoned in to Masi and he was told what to do. Masi will be the scapegoat and a new puppet with be put there but the hidden control strings will still be there.

Race control message that cars would no overtake was broadcast about 300 seconds after the safety car was release.

Race control message to release 5/8 of the lapped cars was about 180 seconds after the previous message.

Safety Car in broadcast was 10 seconds after unlapped cars.

Race restarted 60 seconds later...

There was plenty of time for Masi to get his call to instruct him what to do rather than he make a rash split second decision.. There was plenty of time for the other 3 cars to unlap..

Be clear I have no problem with Max being champion, the unlapping just made it from 95% to 99%... with blue flags Max would have been passing Max on the back straights instead of before them.

Drivers that took the gamble / calculated risk for new tires on the lead lap all were allowed to take their chance, and all made gains.. the other 3 drivers, particularly RIC and STR were severely disadvantaged for no reason.

Not strictly F1 thought.

Max did a test in a Porsche GT3 the past weekend at Estoril (you can check it on his Instagram)
  • And im thinking. Could it be just a test because he didnt have anything to do on the weekend?
  • Maybe trying to get a feel for the smaller sidewall tires of Pirelli before the 2022 preseason test?
  • Or the most exciting option, that he is actually attending a GT3 race, Kyalami 9h maybe? Or warming up for something bigger? WEC will implement GT3s for the sport car class next year. IMSA already has.
What are your thoughts ? It could be just for fun. But its fun speculating :roflmao:

He also did the virtual Le Mans 24 Hours recently. No thoughts really other than the dude just likes to race fast in various formats. Probably just races GT3 for fun.

You are an inspiration. If you follow through with this, you are the better person than I am. Since you live in the USA, I assume you are also an Indycar fan. I suggest you buy a ticket for the Indycar race at Road America (a bit over a 6 hour drive from your home) and forget F1.

As for not watching they always say that. At the end of the day you will watch and moan becuse Lewiss is not a good driver. Hes just been in a good car. But along comes Max in a better car. Its called evolution and old people usually don't like it. I wont say F1 is perfect it has stupid rules and lately i feel there is to much politics. Rule makers giving into bullying from teams. I wish Bernie was in the show he would not tolerate teams trying to manipulate the rules.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This 'old' stupid argument ....again.
Were people not watching Formula One in 2007?
I mean how 'nuts' does somebody have to be, to still spout this nonsense?
Hamilton had the exact same car as a two-time WDC in his maiden year... a guy considered one of the absolute best to ever sit in an F1 cockpit....and matched him point-for-point.
Had McLaren not made the error of keeping him out on a slick track on 'rooted' tires in China, he would have won it.
He was within two points of winning the WDC in his first ever year in Formula 1.
Who still does not get this?
Too many years have gone by for this nonsensical argument to still exist.
Find a new one.....please.
This one has already been debunked.

Last edited:
I am betting Lance Stroll takes Hamilton's spot at MB and becomes 2022 champion. They can put some chump in the car next to Vettel.
I like Lance as he is Canadian like me. That said he gets a lot of stick because he is wealthy. At the end of the day he has skill and you cant buy that with all the money in the world. Many drivers with money have done worse, Pedro Diniz for one.

Were people not watching Formula One in 2007?
What about 2009?

New rules, is there any chance we will have a new team running the top pace this year?

I really really hope it happens again, but I doubt... however how good would it be got liberty media?
maybe it could be possible. ;p

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea