Cars Ford Focus RS Mk1 WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this makes sense then :) at the right the cross section is drawn.
Might just be shadow that makes it look like that, though.

Ah right, I see what you mean. I think it might just be the shadow - but I'll double check when I get home, I'm pretty sure its correct.

Also, the RS arches are slightly wider than the standard ones like in your pic - this makes the angle that the two surfaces meet slightly tighter (and therefore get a more pronounced shadow).

Ru63iz5.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CC
That looks about right, indeed :) Maybe it needs to be slightly deeper so it's more of an actual surface rather than two curves.
Only nitpicking ofcourse :laugh:

Attachments

• ford-focus-rs-c850727122012100941_10.jpg
    ford-focus-rs-c850727122012100941_10.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 255
  • IMGP1883.jpg
    IMGP1883.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 280
This is escalating quickly I see, very nice...! what's your workflow? I find it awkward to work on the real scale so I usually do most of the modeling first and then scale it down to the real measurements.
Not to mention that exporting/importing the mesh every time can be a very time consuming task, so I use Marmoset Toolbag to check out the reflections quickly.

Last edited:
This is escalating quickly I see, very nice...! what's your workflow? I find it awkward to work on the real scale so I usually do most of the modeling first and then scale it down to the real measurements.
Real scale right from the beginning, never really thought of doing it differently. I have noticed that when working on small areas its quite fiddly with 3ds camera clipping, and working in meters...

But I get such a buzz and motivation from seeing it in-game and on track (even in the earliest most ugly stages) that having it the correct scale throughout is just easier.

This was the first import:
ozvEa38h.jpg

Then a week later:
ctYPRq5h.jpg

its quite fiddly with 3ds camera clipping, and working in meters...

And here!! I found a solution last week...
Right click on the [+] at the top left part of your viewport / go to Viewport Configuration / Visual Style & Appearance and check "Viewport Clipping"
a yellow line with triangles will show up to the right hand side of your slected viewport, you grab the lower one to the lowest part.
it'll be clearer with a screenshot.
7mod_clipping.PNG

Then the zooming is still broken when using the mouse, so use the magnifier tool instead, it's much more accurate
upload_2017-3-14_8-45-28.png

It's indeed better and more appropriate to work in centimeters, but not the good scale for exports

I can certainly understand the "buzz" part :) it's always the hardest part to control the anxiety to see your project in game, but it's also rewarding to have most of the geometry done and seeing it for the first time in AC almost complete.

Viewport clipping just don't cut it for small details, that's why I prefer to work at a larger scale, so you can use the extrude/chamfer sliders properly otherwise you have to type in numbers like crazy. If you get the proportions right, it's just a matter of scaling to the real dimensions and everything should fit just fine. I only have to do some wheelbase adjustments at the milimmetrical scale.

What works for me at that scale is to use the orthographic view. You can zoom in as much as you want and no need to set up the viewport clipping. Takes a bit to get used to but is very useful when doing detailing work, edges or UV's.

And here!! I found a solution last week...
Right click on the [+] at the top left part of your viewport / go to Viewport Configuration / Visual Style & Appearance and check "Viewport Clipping"
a yellow line with triangles will show up to the right hand side of your slected viewport, you grab the lower one to the lowest part.
it'll be clearer with a screenshot.
7mod_clipping.PNG

Then the zooming is still broken when using the mouse, so use the magnifier tool instead, it's much more accurate
View attachment 179072

It's indeed better and more appropriate to work in centimeters, but not the good scale for exports
I had actually known about reducing clipping but I still often find it happening when I get really close :roflmao: I'll have a go at the magnifier tool though :thumbsup:

I can certainly understand the "buzz" part :) it's always the hardest part to control the anxiety to see your project in game, but it's also rewarding to have most of the geometry done and seeing it for the first time in AC almost complete.

Viewport clipping just don't cut it for small details, that's why I prefer to work at a larger scale, so you can use the extrude/chamfer sliders properly otherwise you have to type in numbers like crazy. If you get the proportions right, it's just a matter of scaling to the real dimensions and everything should fit just fine. I only have to do some wheelbase adjustments at the milimmetrical scale.

What works for me at that scale is to use the orthographic view. You can zoom in as much as you want and no need to set up the viewport clipping. Takes a bit to get used to but is very useful when doing detailing work, edges or UV's.

Good stuff, always appreciate the thoughts from the likes of you two pro's. I often think about all the techniques and workflows that guys like you use and how much I'd like to just sit and watch a pro at work and see what I'm missing :roflmao:

I had actually known about reducing clipping but I still often find it happening when I get really close :roflmao: I'll have a go at the magnifier tool though :thumbsup:

Good stuff, always appreciate the thoughts from the likes of you two pro's. I often think about all the techniques and workflows that guys like you use and how much I'd like to just sit and watch a pro at work and see what I'm missing :roflmao:

Glad to help out, just shout if you want to share some thoughts. There's always something new to learn, and I mean that for myself as well. Most of the new techniques I've learned were from conversations with colleagues or friends, personally or through forums, or by looking at someone else's work too.
Your modeling is top notch btw, very clean topology and good use of polygon density, those are the keys to a good 3D model.

how long does it take to get a car up and running in the game? with physics, sounds, everything.
thanks!

To the state the Focus is seen in the pics at the top of this page? Just over a week, but that's barely started really.

Physics are an approximation at best, with powertrain stuff quite close but suspension needing a ton of attention. Sounds are borrowed from Kunos at this point. But its 'up and running' definitely, more than driveable, but not nearly finished (like maybe 10% done in total).

But to properly finish a mod, start to finish? Well for me it took 3-4 months on the Dallara, but I reckon a fictional car is arguably much easier (model required far less detail interior wise etc), and I didn't do the SFX myself. Plus, its not really 'finished' at all really.

Depends a lot on how much time you can dedicate too, and also how motivated you are. I'm usually able to spend a big chunk of my weekends modding (depending on when I wake up :roflmao:), and some evenings after work can be productive too - although I often can't be bothered.

This week for instance I haven't really got much done, just finishing up modelling the wing mirrors. Its so annoying; when I'm at work I'm thinking about how I want to get this and that done on the model, then I get home and just want to sit and do nothing :sleep:

*Edit - Thought it'd be fun to try the Mk1 with Mk2 colours - I suppose that's the beauty of a project like this, you don't have to deface a limited run car to satisfy curiosity :roflmao:

YvDq8iFh.jpg

5UaXBbwh.jpg

Last edited:
Guess its down to personal skill. I really suck at doing roundish bodyshells, or at least i think I do. Small mechanical objects like engine parts and suspension do me better, but their forms are closer to the CAD stuff I learned doing professionally.

I started something new, take a guess what that is, and what inspired it :roflmao:
Zwischenablage02.jpg

Last edited:
Guess its down to personal skill. I really suck at doing roundish bodyshells, or at least i think I do. Small mechanical objects like engine parts and suspension do me better, but their forms are closer to the CAD stuff I learned doing professionally.

I started something new, take a guess what that is, and what inspired it :roflmao:
View attachment 179447

Hmm, I can't quite identify it - I was thinking late 80's early 90s Japanese hatchback, like an early Nissan Micra or Suzuki Alto.

As for model, it looks decent so far, but lacks the sort of grid formation - a lot of long polys (door and rear 3/4 panel), more squarish ones more evenly dispersed would probably allow for a much cleaner mesh (and cleaner reflections).

I haven't got a great example to hand, but even in this closer shot you can see the evenly dispersed grid along each surface, even if they are almost flat. The subtle curves are the hardest to nail, but having a clean grid to play with allows for easy tweaking.

pNWUEFZh.jpg

Totally agree with A3DR and Max's scaling issues.

Metres is a no go for any of the spinners. They become useless (already useless since Max 2010 with their
'toy' appearance but anyhow) except for numerical input in the low ranges.

I'm not sure why you can't just work in cm or mm and then use the FBX export scaling to scale?

As per reflection checking, at least in an older Max version, can't you use Xoliul and the surface continuity striping right in Max viewport?
Or a DX shader with a reflection cube map for continuity checking?

Purely on that reflection continuity topic, I hate to say it but is the curve from the front wing through the door side correct? It looks to have a tendancy to 'twist' the reflection down under the swage line as you move forward.
Purely from quick photo checks any reflections on the door side look linear but in your door they have a curve.

This is exactly where I get stuck for ages on a car. It's hard to get continuity right AND a high density mesh within 3DS Max general workflows.
I've increasingly tended to spline cage and "surface" bits from splines to make sure they're looking right, so making many high density surfaces that are smooth, then remesh over them.

Either way it's great work so far. My fave RS Ford of modern times. All the newer RS's have been visual turds imo.

Purely on that reflection continuity topic, I hate to say it but is the curve from the front wing through the door side correct? It looks to have a tendancy to 'twist' the reflection down under the swage line as you move forward.
Purely from quick photo checks any reflections on the door side look linear but in your door they have a curve.

Can you be more specific, I'm unsure what you mean here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back