Force India 2017 Drivers: Spirited or Dangerous?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Force India Spa.jpg

Force India drivers Sergio Perez and Esteban Ocon came together once again in Spa on Sunday, is it a case of youthful exuberance or has it gone too far in the pink cars?

Spa would be the second time this season that both Force India drivers have come together and cost the team a big points scoring opportunity, not counting the numerous times both drivers have used aggressive moves against each other out on the circuit this season. With Force India locked into a battle with both Williams and Toro Rosso in the constructors championship, the small Silverstone based team and ill afford to throw away big points scoring opportunities in the highly competitive world of Formula One, a fact recently acknowledged by Chief Operating Officer Otmar Szafnauer post race in Belgium, where he confirmed both drivers will not be allowed free reign to fight on track for the remainder of the year;

“I only saw what you saw, but it looked like Sergio squeezed Esteban into the wall and came out the loser of that scrap,” Szafnauer told Sky Sports.

“In the future they’ll never have that opportunity again. We’ve let them race up until now. If they can’t do it in a manner which is good for the team, then they won’t be racing anymore.

“They shouldn’t be coming together. We’ve given them the latitude to race and I’ve always said that.

“We’ve told them if it happens again, if a Baku-type incident happens again, then we’ll be calling the race from the pitwall in the future.

“For sure, which is why we let them race,” he said. “But once it gets to the point of safety margins and crashing into each other we’ve got to take it into our own hands."

The first half of the current season has been generous to Force India, with the team having pulled ahead of fellow Mercedes powered rivals Williams in the constructors championship rankings, a gap that now stretches to over 50 points following a recent dip in form over at Grove.

Even former World Champion Jacques Villeneuve has weighed in with an opinion, claiming both Spa incidents to be unacceptable, teammate or not;

"It doesn’t matter that it’s his teammate,” said Villeneuve. “Teammate, no teammate, it should not have happened between two drivers. You’re not so supposed to put anyone in danger.

“You can brake too late, make a mistake, fine, but down the straight you don’t weave and squish, you just don’t do that. It’s ridiculous".
Never short of an opinion, Villeneuve went on to brand Perez "dirty", an accusation that has occasionally been leveled at the aggressive Mexican driver, especially during his early McLaren days;

“That kind of move from Perez is not racing, it’s pure blocking. You don’t do that. It’s aggressive. It’s dirty.”

Has the competitive spirit between Perez and Ocon gone too far, or is it just a case of two highly charged youngsters looking to win out the inter team battle?

Check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more from the world of Grand Prix racing.

Do you think the FI drivers need to calm down with each other? Is the team becoming too toxic on the driving front and harming both drivers career prospects? Let us know in the comments section below!

Villeneuve's opinion is worthless: he plays bigmouth whenever he can on each and every topic.

As always what happened on track is peanuts compared to the web/media generated buzz. One piece of front wing flies into air and it becomes a murder...

I think there should be no punishments, but team orders in the future.
Esteban Ocon is to blame in both incidents at SPA. In the first he wants to go three wide at eau rouge, totally impossible and a receipt for disaster. In the second the track narrows on his side and he doesn't has the mind flexibility to lift off. Perez doesn't move right it's just that the track narrows on the right. Ocon has put in his mind that he has to beat his team mate mo matter the consequences. He is no longer thinking while racing his team mate. It is just stubbornness.

Last edited:
@Kakusso On both occasions at Spa I believe Perez did turn to the right but in both cases didn't expect his teammate to be there.

Agreed that trying to race your teammate into Eau Rouge is a hair-raising thing to do. On the 2nd occasion certainly Ocon would have been far better off sitting in the tow and then DRS passing down the Kennel straight.

As always what happened on track is peanuts compared to the web/media generated buzz. One piece of front wing flies into air and it becomes a murder...
I mean, the wedge of front wing that flew off wasn't far away from clearing the catch fence at... 250km/h(?). I'm amazed there hasn't been more of a focus on that, it was a sizeable chunk for gods sake.

@Kakusso You're kidding, right? Look how much space there is on Perez's right and where the racing line is (car in front) and how we moves to the right to close the gap. He either closes the gap faster or leaves room. It was just an intimidation move, as we've seen before from Perez.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    614.3 KB · Views: 399
It's Farce India. It's in their nature to be a farcical joke of a team and it's been this way since the Jordan days. You just know that they're not going to touch their beloved Perez and his wads of cash. Ocon needs to get out of there, and fast. Problem is, he's only just started to match Perez, so he hasn't yet impressed enough to get a seat at any serious team other than Renault unless Mercedes do a 180 and somehow don't re-sign Bottas.

Maybe Ocon could have been more patient and waited for the DRS at the top of the hill and avoided the whole 2nd incident - Saying that Perez would probably still have a squeezed him off the track at an even higher speed. They had their chance to race, they clearly can't do it cleanly so the team will have to keep them apart on strategy now - if they can.

It seems nowadays people like when drivers behave dangerously. If you are forceful and shove a guy off, then good for you. So badass. I don't like it at all. It's unnecessary and dangerous. My rule of thumb is: If you can't make the pass then you can't make the pass. If you can't get around cleanly, then don't. Wait for your opportunity, perhaps it will come in the form of a mistake or in the pits. If you're slower than the guy in front of you, then you're slower. Don't shove him out of the way. The more motorsports goes down this path, the more chaos ensues. We're headed toward destruction derby. I've always respected the Europeans for their gentlemanly racing style. Here in the States with The Earnhardt's and such we've seen huge amounts of nonsense. Guys getting into fistfights, ramming into each other, throwing helmets, even guys getting run over by other drivers. This is where this leads. In fact many excellent drivers will tell you; "I like driving with such and such driver. He's a clean driver." Drivers that take their job seriously and have worked very hard at being better drivers hate driving with certain drivers because all their work is, in the end, for nothing as they get rammed into a wall. So, in my book, this idiocy needs to be stopped right away. It ruins the sport. Just look at how it has ruined online sim racing. Those that can't drive fast crash those that can.

If it was Schumacher doing the squeze to the wall (clearly what we call in sim racing a pit manouver), I can't imagine how much people would complain and ask for a disqualification.

I'm baffled that this wasn't taken more seriously. way worst that what schummy did to rubens in Hungary I believe. If Ocon would hit the wall it would stop his car in an instant.head on colision..

I absolutely love it when teammates treat each other as rivals on track. Go for the gab and create excitement. F1 is already boring enough.

If it's not within the rules of the FIA the race directors should have a look at it. After that suck up the penalty and continue racing :)

After the 2017 Belgian Grand Prix, I learned something from the Force India team...
PINK symbolizes WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Both Perez and Ocon should battle each other like Vettel and Verstappen did at Silverstone 2017, not Kvyat and Vettel in Russia 2016...

They almost affected the outcome of the race doing something stupid. The pass was stupid. At that point on the track, passing a car of equal power is just a stupid move, because the car will take the position back in the upcoming DRS zone on the long straight. They were approaching Eau Rouge. He should have tucked in behind him, followed him up, and then passed him with DRS on the straight. They are both boneheads for not realizing that. You can let drivers battle it out, but what they did was just stupid and thoughtless.

pretty obvious he should have used the DRS instead of pulling a move into eau rouge. when others have done it, they've had a much better run than ocon did. as for "punish", send them to bed without supper? they've already beed punished by not being able to race, losing points and being looked at as reckless in their driving.

big deal over nothing, if F1 was more exciting in general they wouldn't have to blow up every little incident into a big deal.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back