FM4 Fanatec CSR and CSR-E Firmware updates

Forza Motorsport 4 (Turn 10 Studios)
With my wheel currently been out of action, I have been using a pad for the last week, I have noticed that in long corners, especially with unstable cars like the R8 LMS for example, it is difficult to apply the right amount of turn without upsetting the balance of the car and causing oversteer, I know with a wheel, this problem is easier to control due to the smoothness you can gain from using a wheel, struggle to do it with a pad.

Although on the balance im probably quicker with a pad at the moment, as since I have had the game I used the pad, until i got my CSR about 2 months ago (so still getting used to it to be honest). Think there is an element of change also getting used to feathering the throttle with your feet as opposed to your finger, Although I think I might need to look at my wheel configuration for my CSR to be honest as it's a very fine line at the moment! (Anybody with a CSR wheel setup for Forza who would be kind enough to share with me I'd be eternally grateful to them)

I would advise driving with a wheel though on this game, although the Mad catz wheel I had before my CSR was awful on this game which was why i've used a pad for so long. I find it very enjoyable, and you do get a feeling of being in the car, where as with a pad, you never feel that, or at least I dont anyway.

Can't comment on the auto-clutch feature as I have not been able to upload yet, but will give you my thoughts on it once I have. I would like it to assist me in terms of lap-time, I'm about 4-5 seconds off the pace with the quick guys.. so any improvement would be helpful. the rest is upto me then lol

When steering with a contoller I tend to use lots of little flicks rather than just hold it left or right on longer corners, tight corners you have to hold it and ease off just as it feel like you are losing it ...... Almost works for me anyway.

Dan, on the other hand is a roller, rolls it over the top from L to R as needed, tried it but can't be getting on with it.

The fact remains there is nothing stopping you controller boys get the steering wheel
You may say you'd rather hold on to your money but if you spend the time on Forza the question is why not
And for me that's steering wheel brings the game to life
If I can save the money I'm sure every single one of you can as I am on rubbish money
Agree with Karl's comments for the most part and whilst there probably isn't anything stopping any of us controller boys getting a wheel, it might not be convenient.

I have always played console games, be they racing or other with the controller. I have both the PS3 and XBOX360 and they are situated above my TV at the bottom end of my bed. There is no room for a wheel to be positioned and the consoles/TV are not getting moved anywhere else, so its controller or not at all. Buying a wheel for console racing is not in my plans. On top of that, most of the console driving titles are more arcade than sim, so a wheel is not a must.

On my PC on the other hand, which is situated elsewhere in the room, with a bit more space and alongside the router, printer/scanner and all things PC related, I do have a G27 and pedals setup (wheel only bolted to computer desk) and currently have iRacing and PCARS installed and will probably be getting Assetto Corsa as and when it makes an appearance. These titles are sim based and really require a wheel to make the whole experience worthwhile.

I will agree with Karl again that the wheel/pedals brings the driving to life, but IMO not in every game. Forza 4 and GT5 would be yes in agreement but I would never consider playing the likes of NFS: Hot Pursuit or Burnout Paradise or Motorstorm with a wheel/pedals as I don't think these games cry out for a wheel.

Its each to their own, and even though money is no object for me as far as the gaming goes, the space I have available is, so a wheel is not on the list of peripherals for my consoles and I will accept being slower than most whilst steering my way round the track with my left thumb, lol.

:D

I think there is indeed an advantage on using a wheel over a controller. First off the immersion is better.
But above all the ease to stick to the racingline in corners is much easier. Plus it is more of a habit to brake/gas with your feet as it's the same feel as if you would drive an actual car.
Even though I can only compare between my pad and the non-FFB,non-rumble thrustmaster F458 wheel I got.
I'm not a roller 100%. But I do tend to steer with my pad instead of small taps. So I'm something in between there.
I do this in PCARS as well and it does allow me to get by easy. But it does crave for a wheel. Even tried iRaving but that's a nono for a pad.There my wheel came in handy and worked flawless.Haven't tested PCARS with my wheel just yet. However before I'll get a decent wheel I need to get a newer pc first.
But the more I'm racing the more I'm intended on getting me a Fanatec. Must admid the thrustmaster was a bad investment for competition racing. If you're driving against AI then there's no problem at all. Then it does the job very nicely.
That's why I'm currently sticking with a pad for online-racing and wheel for off-line.

To all my Fanatec friends, I've just seen this over at VirtualR.net..

http://www.virtualr.net/fanatec-releases-new-beta-firmware-drivers

Changelog details are....
  • ACL added to all Wheels
  • 500 Hz update rate
  • Allows use of SDK to show telemetry data on Tuning display
  • Improved force feedback algorithms
  • Improved FF sensitivity around center position
  • Improved center spring
  • DPR and SPR calculation changed
  • Improved navigation in Tuning menu (keep pressing the up or down button)
  • Default Sensitivity = OFF (900°)
  • Changed button mapping to ensure compatibility to older games
  • New initialisation sequence to auto detect minimum ff level required for each individual wheel
  • fixed issue with hanging ff signals
  • Changed button combo for center calibration. Please follow manual of updater (included)
Updates are for......
  • CSR
  • CSR Elite
  • 911 GT3 RS V2
  • 911 Turbo S
  • 911 GT2

To all my Fanatec friends, I've just seen this over at VirtualR.net..

http://www.virtualr.net/fanatec-releases-new-beta-firmware-drivers

Changelog details are....
  • ACL added to all Wheels
  • 500 Hz update rate
  • Allows use of SDK to show telemetry data on Tuning display
  • Improved force feedback algorithms
  • Improved FF sensitivity around center position
  • Improved center spring
  • DPR and SPR calculation changed
  • Improved navigation in Tuning menu (keep pressing the up or down button)
  • Default Sensitivity = OFF (900°)
  • Changed button mapping to ensure compatibility to older games
  • New initialisation sequence to auto detect minimum ff level required for each individual wheel
  • fixed issue with hanging ff signals
  • Changed button combo for center calibration. Please follow manual of updater (included)
Updates are for......
  • CSR
  • CSR Elite
  • 911 GT3 RS V2
  • 911 Turbo S
  • 911 GT2
This is also available at www.911wheel.de.

On Thomas's blog it is also expressly stated that this is beta firmware that they are releasing to the public to test and report back. It does appear that it is unstable beta firmware as there are plenty of bug reports across all platforms with it. I would not update to it without keeping a copy of the last full version of the firmware to hand in case you need to flash back. Also there are disconnect error reports so I don't think I'll test this out during league racing.

This is also available at www.911wheel.de.

On Thomas's blog it is also expressly stated that this is beta firmware that they are releasing to the public to test and report back. It does appear that it is unstable beta firmware as there are plenty of bug reports across all platforms with it. I would not update to it without keeping a copy of the last full version of the firmware to hand in case you need to flash back. Also there are disconnect error reports so I don't think I'll test this out during league racing.

I'm afraid that it doesn't seem to be compatible with my GT2 wheel, couldn't get it to work with my xbox (didn't try the ps3) I went back to the 681 fw .

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.