F1: "He's free to come talk to me, if he's brave enough." - Kvyat Hits Back at Carlos Sainz

Chris

Premium
KvySainz.jpg
This time two weeks ago, Daniil Kvyat and Carlos Sainz Jr. were going into the Saturday of the Canadian GP weekend with about as good a driver pairing relationship as you could hope within Formula One. Fast forward 14 days and the relationship has taken a sharp decline.

The Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is not too dissimilar to the Monza circuit in Italy. It's very fast with lots of low speed chicanes. Teams will often attempt to choreograph their drivers to maximise their qualifying positions by orchestrating "The Tow". Essentially this involves one driver lapping just ahead of the other, close enough to disturb the air so that the driver behind will achieve higher top speeds. It's something that is highly difficult to get correct as you'll only need the "tow" for the longest straight and nothing more, else you run the risk of losing in the corners due to the turbulent air.

Not only is it difficult for the team to organise, but the drivers are not all too keen on the practice of it either, as it usually means helping out their main rival: Their team mate. Toro Rosso fell victim to the act of 'towing' their drivers through qualifying in Canada as Carlos Sainz was irate with Kvyat after being eliminated in Q2. The young Russian was allegedly supposed receive help from the even younger Spaniard get to Q3, and vice versa on a round-by-round basis. This weekend it was Kvyat's turn.

But it appears as if Sainz wasn't too keen on playing ball because he saw nothing in it for him, why should Sainz be forced to compromise his own qualifying in order to help out his biggest rival, and team mate whom he utterly trounced in the previous season and is well on his way to doing exactly the same thing this season.

"Interesting enough it was my team mate [Kvyat] and it was every lap the same and it was every lap three tenths, four tenths on the data just on top speed. It was planned for me to go in front [for qualifying] ... But to go the four sessions in front, the four times you are out in front, for me it’s not fair."
2017-spain-gp-toro-rosso-sainz-kvyat-cov-1.jpg

Sainz has apparently since aired his frustrations with the team during the Canadian debrief, which leads me to believe it was a frosty affair as Kvyat has now come out in his pre-Baku comments and verbally shirt-fronted Sainz,

"What I see from the qualifying data is zero gain for me in the tow. In Baku he would have been getting a tow, but now I'm not sure I really want to collaborate in qualifying anymore. From my side everything is as clear as the sky, absolutely clear.

"If he has some questions to me, he's more than free to come and talk to me, if he's brave enough. If he's not brave enough, he'll come and talk to you guys and send hidden messages to the media all the time."
It appear clear now that the Red Bull sister team now have a genuine issue on their hands. They have a car that is capable of getting into the points on a consistent basis, but if their drivers continue to fall out, fail to cooperate and bicker through a myriad of media snippets, then Toro Rosso will find themselves falling down the all important Constructors Championship quick smart.

Time for Franz Tost to roll up his sleeves and take charge of the situation. Every point counts and they quite literally cannot afford to have the team split in two by two young bulls determined to make an impact on the F1 grid.

What would you do? Let the infighting carry on? Or nip it in the bud?

Benutzername

www.hasenkamp-motorsport.de
Premium
To be honest i quite miss Kvyat at RBR. (And I'm dutch so partly Verstappen fan)

He quite an awesome guy.

He should just leave Red Bull and seek for a ride at Haas or Renault.
I believe he wont stay for long in F1. In my eyes he was really good at first but ever since he was degraded back to Toro Rosso he isnt as good as before.
Also seems to be a difficult character.

To be honest i quite miss Kvyat at RBR. (And I'm dutch so partly Verstappen fan)

He quite an awesome guy.

He should just leave Red Bull and seek for a ride at Haas or Renault.
sadly neither Renault nor Haas is an option. Renault already had Sirotkin, who is paid by big pile of money named SMP Racing and I hope he'll take place of Palmer next season. But he need to get every opportunity to race because his results in Q in Baku is quite bad. And I think they are not interested in another Russian behind the wheel. With Haas things became more complicated and political because Russia and USA and other weird stuff witch don't belong here at all.
Kvyat's only opportunity to stay is showing what's he got. He's perfect mentally, he's very strong driver and he needs a good, fast car to win.

Flammenjc

hydr.eSport
I believe he wont stay for long in F1. In my eyes he was really good at first but ever since he was degraded back to Toro Rosso he isnt as good as before.
Also seems to be a difficult character.
You can't blame him for not being at his best anymore [if that is the case] I mean the guy got dumped by RB completely the TR drive is just a bogey prize really. From a human level I'll never forgive RB for what they did. Obviously from a statistical, and success factor they got it 100% correct. But seems to me they were just desperate to get Verstappen in that car no matter what.

Benutzername

Premium
You can't blame him for not being at his best anymore [if that is the case] I mean the guy got dumped by RB completely the TR drive is just a bogey prize really. From a human level I'll never forgive RB for what they did. Obviously from a statistical, and success factor they got it 100% correct. But seems to me they were just desperate to get Verstappen in that car no matter what.
Well i guess they had to wait for the smallest reason to replace him with Verstappen and Kvyat delivered.

wombat999

Premium
Kvyat is a better driver than his results indicate, and he certainly got on well enough with Dan R at RBR.
I would expect better behavior from Sainz Jr., his Father would be most unimpressed.
Let's not overlook some 'erratic' driving from Carlos recently, generating problems of his own making.

"Time for Franz Tost to roll up his sleeves and take charge of the situation."
My thoughts exactly!
:ninja:

Flammenjc

hydr.eSport
Well i guess they had to wait for the smallest reason to replace him with Verstappen and Kvyat delivered.
Exactly, I just feel it was horrible to kill the development of Kvyat in favour of another driver.. they wanted that PR of 18yo wins race... and jesus christ they got it didn't they? haha

Benutzername

Premium
Exactly, I just feel it was horrible to kill the development of Kvyat in favour of another driver.. they wanted that PR of 18yo wins race... and jesus christ they got it didn't they? haha
No, they simply wanted to take the chance to give a very young talent to show his skill and to develop hin instead of a slower and older talent.

D

Deleted member 130869

• Deleted member 130869

It was shown that Vettel backed off where other people were going flat out, it happened that Kvyat was following close behind. And China... Kimi didn't complain, Vettel always whines despite causing things. But like it was said here, RBR was just looking for any chance to get Max in that seat and be able to renew his contract.

Ghoults

Lasse Luisu
I don't really know the details but I think kvyat's response was great. Come talk to me if you dare. Stop trying to use the media for hidden messages. Fite me irl!

I like it. It goes straight to the point. Have problem with me? Come talk to me. Not the media.

It is also always pretty funny when people say F1 drivers have no personality and never say what they really think. Then when they say something real the same people attack the drivers for being crybabies or for having different opinion. It is no wonder the drivers read all their answers from scripts. Some of you people can't handle the truth :D.

I like the drama, love the emotions, do the talking on track, take chances, make moves.

What I would like is to see is a driver who's aware that his only main skills are having amazing hand eye coordination, spatial awareness, and maybe gifted physically or otherwise specifically to drive this type of car. All these young bucks, save for a few, better thank their team members and the droves of ppl that make their car do physics defying things so that they can look good in the spotlight. The ppl behind the scenes need to be heroes too, the Neweys of each team, in each department.

But I wont lie, I do like me an old school fist fight with a Russian and a Spaniard like in the old days of motorsport. And then when one knocks the other one out after they collide at Parabolica he looks deeply into the camera and takes his helmet and fire proof face mask off and screams with open arms:

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED"

Benutzername

Premium
I like the drama, love the emotions, do the talking on track, take chances, make moves.

What I would like is to see is a driver who's aware that his only main skills are having amazing hand eye coordination, spatial awareness, and maybe gifted physically or otherwise specifically to drive this type of car. All these young bucks, save for a few, better thank their team members and the droves of ppl that make their car do physics defying things so that they can look good in the spotlight. The ppl behind the scenes need to be heroes too, the Neweys of each team, in each department.

But I wont lie, I do like me an old school fist fight with a Russian and a Spaniard like in the old days of motorsport. And then when one knocks the other one out after they collide at Parabolica he looks deeply into the camera and takes his helmet and fire proof face mask off and screams with open arms:

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED"
You forgot the skills with the pedals and the 'popometer' though ;)

To the one of the first comments, i think Kvyat should go to another team... we havent seen his true potential yet at Redbull..

If i had the chance, and i no that would never happen, the redbull driver program is good, young drivers coming through but to work with Helmet Marco, forget it, control freak, always telling you what to do...

Like i said, its not fair Kvyat got demoted back to the B team, cos he rubbed shoulders with Vettel... disgraceful, the top drivers are not gods, they are just people, just cos it not going your way, they shouldnt interfere in with the team the came from, complaining and bitching, which in turn demoted Kyvat to the RB B team...

I think your right hes best chance is to go with another team, as i dont think the RB A team are getting rid of there drivers anytime soon... I think either HAS or Renault would be a good move.

I know Renault are not happy with Julian Parmar, could be a swap move maybe...

hold on, his response to sainz making passive aggressive comments to the press, is to make passive aggressive comments to the press.

right.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 80 19.1%
  • €151-500

Votes: 117 27.9%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 69 16.5%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 41 9.8%