F1 End of Season Report: Rate the Grid - Pascal Wehrlein

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Rate the Grid - Pascal Wehrlein 3.jpg

How does the RaceDepartment community rate the season of young Mercedes protégé and Sauber driver Pascal Wehrlein? Vote and comment here!

Wehrlein is used to success having enjoyed a meteoric career in junior Formula and DTM, making his years in Formula One to date all the more difficult to swallow as he toils at the rear of the field in first a Manor and now the unwieldy Sauber Ferrari. Despite the obvious restrictions of the machinery at his disposal perhaps the German hasn't quite lived up to his expected form, not quite shadowing team mate Ericsson as much as would be expected this year.

With few seats available and a Sauber contract now expired, has the talented Mercedes junior driver done enough in 2017 to deserve a continuation of his Grand Prix career?

Vote now to tell us how you rate the 2017 season for Sauber driver and Mercedes junior Pascal Wehrlein, and leave a comment below!

For more from the world of Formula One, check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with our awesome community..

Rate the Grid - Pascal Wehrlein 1.jpg
Rate the Grid - Pascal Wehrlein 2.jpg
Rate the Grid - Pascal Wehrlein 4.jpg

Last edited:
8. Made the Sauber look a lot better then it is at times. Best you can do in such a crappy car, pretty sure Hamilton or Vettel wouldn't have snatched more points with this car

It's a shame he's leaving. Should get a chance at Williams.. Still strange to see a lot of drivers on the Williams list, but Pascal is not on it.

He did some good races, also some bad, but at least, he managed to get some points in that awful Sauber.

He did well mid season, but has been beaten by ericsson too many times for me to give him a good rating. 5/10

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 205301

• Deleted member 205301

...Strange carreer : Ocon been prefered to him last year, and now leaving with something like a bad taste in the mouth... I really don't know what to think about him...Great driver, for sure, but really inconsistant...and seems to be an ashole (I don't know him, so i don't really know)
justice were to give him the Williams 'seat (deserves it more than Kubica, damn....)
gave him a 5/10 : only cause I was disapointed by his inconcistancy this year...not something you could did in his situation.
@++

Its difficult to judge these drivers though. The Sauber is/was (hopefully was, next year should be better) an absolute **** box compared to ALL other teams (Mclaren improved a lot, Haas was always way ahead in most cases). So i do not know who valid my rating is but i think he deserved to be in F1 more than his swedish Teammate (Money)

The main problem of Wehrlein was maybe the way people did not like to work with him because he was kinda cocky and not very cooperative (at least thats what you hear from some people)

He always gave me the test driver vibe. Like he should be lurking in the back of car launch pictures behind the two proper drivers.

Still better than palmer.

It is funny - when you realize he almost got a MERCEDES seat last year !?!
And look at him now. Hmm...
Somewhere in the middle of the season he said "I wasn't ready for that seat" and that is not attitude of one great F1 driver. Can you imagine Senna said that ? :laugh: Laughable, isn't it. :alien:
Or on that matter Vettel, Hamilton, Verstappen,...
Shame, although... he's the only one to blame, he should outperformed Ericsson in much bigger scale. He does have five points but often Ericsson was better in qualy or/and race, especially later I believe.
Maybe that injury from exhibition race did leave some impact on him after all ? :unsure:
Did you auto-censored that (well ugly) word or you just misspelled it I wonder.
Also... with one or two "S" - why do you find him being one, pretty please ?

Last edited:
Shame to see him out of F1 next year.. Sometimes outraced or outqualified by Ericsson but still far better overall. Scored for his maiden year at Sauber whereas Ericsson failed to do in his 2 years there. Also proves with points on a team that has cars which were absolute **** for the past few years ..Should have been tangling for merc-powered seats with Kubica or return to Mercedes as test driver role

Outqualified every teammate in f1 ...
2016: 8:4 Haryanto and 7:2 Ocon, first and only point for Manor ever
2017: 11:7 Ericsson, scores 5 points
Wehrlein is only 23, looks like his f1 career is over.

D

Deleted member 205301

• Deleted member 205301

with one or two "S" - why do you find him being one, pretty please ?

Well, Don't forget I'm french, this is not my native language, so plz, be tolerant ;) (it's an effort for me)
i said I don't know him, so i'm not sure about that, that's what people says about him...(that's what journalists says at least), i read that was one of the reasons Force India prefeared Ocon to him (not easy to work with him : bad relashionship) ..but you're right, since I don't know him, I probably am talking without knowing... :(

first and only point for Manor ever
So Jules Bianchi is dead and still forgotten ?!
@++

Well, Don't forget I'm french, this is not my native language, so plz, be tolerant ;) (it's an effort for me)
i said I don't know him, so i'm not sure about that, that's what people says about him...(that's what journalists says at least), i read that was one of the reasons Force India prefeared Ocon to him (not easy to work with him : bad relashionship) ..but you're right, since I don't know him, I probably am talking without knowing... :(

So Jules Bianchi is dead and still forgotten ?!
@++
Jules drove for Marussia. I know that Manor was the team that Marussia turned into but if you go by that logic things get pretty messy with teams being taken over and renamed and whatnot

Jules drove for Marussia. I know that Manor was the team that Marussia turned into but if you go by that logic things get pretty messy with teams being taken over and renamed and whatnot
They were always the manor team they were just under Virgin then Marrusia branding and when they had no big sponsor like Virgin or the Russian car company that made the car that jumped from building to building in Fast and Furious, they just ran as Manor

D

Deleted member 161052

• Deleted member 161052

Shame he didn't get a drive for 2018.

Overrated.

Struggled with keeping ahead of Ericsson, who is, after Palmer, the slowest guy on the grid. Drove a few decent races, but wasn't particularly impressive. He should have demolished Ericsson.

8. He has scored points with a car that's 4 seconds off the pace. Before Sauber started to give all the upgrades to Ericcson he always outperformed him, and sometimes he went into Q2 as well. Great talent, scored points with Manor and Sauber, but unfortunately he's risking his F1 career due to pay drivers.

D

Deleted member 205301

• Deleted member 205301

Manor was the team that Marussia turned into

They were always the manor team they were just under Virgin then Marrusia branding

All is said :) rebranding is a very different thing than been taken over...I mean a Vaillante is still a Rebellion even if it is named diferently : same team, same people, same car, same logistic, same financial structure, the name is only for marketing...that's the case for the manor. (damn, I hope my very bad english is understandable...)
But I understand Axbu89'pov : A merc is not a Brawn-GP, wich was not "totally" a Honda (very-very close to be, but not)
@++

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 87 19.3%
  • €151-500

Votes: 122 27.1%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 74 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 39 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 46 10.2%