F1 End of Season Report: Rate the Grid - Lewis Hamilton

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Rate the Grid - Lewis Hamilton 1.jpg

The final in our 'Rate the Grid' series - Tell us your thoughts about the 2017 season of newly crowned World Champion Lewis Hamilton...

Now the most statistically successful British racing driver of all time, Lewis Hamilton romped to his fourth World Drivers Championship in Formula One this season as he and Mercedes finally crossed the finish line in first place ahead of a spirited but flawed Ferrari challenge.

With nine wins, 11 pole positions, 13 podiums and 363 points taking the 33-year-old Brit to championship success, how do our RaceDepartment community rate his 2017 season?

Vote now to tell us how you rate 2017 Formula One season of Lewis Hamilton, and leave a comment below!

For more from the world of Formula One, check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with our awesome community..

Rate the Grid - Lewis Hamilton 4.jpg
Rate the Grid - Lewis Hamilton 3.jpg
Rate the Grid - Lewis Hamilton 2.jpg

Last edited:
Best season yet, some great drives to match the potential of the great car he was given. Apart from oddities like Russia and Austria he was on it all season. a few radio moans but what driver doesn't these days...

Also fantastic to see him beat some records, some people might not appreciate what we are watching but over the past 10 years having seen Hamilton, Vettel and others break records and compete in close fights across seasons, these years will be remembered fondly the down long road ahead.

Basically didnt put a wheel wrong all season and demolished his teammate after the summer break. And everyone else for that matter. Thourougly deserved world championship. An easy 10.

10. Only LH, SV, and Fernando (maybe Max) deserve this number. Demolished his teammate and had weekends like Monza or China where he was better than anyone else. Only bad races were Russia and Austria, the rest was superb.

I think he too would have wanted some more, closer racing with the other top talents in the sport.

Some enjoyable races and it was good to see Mercedes and Lewis under pressure at the start of the season. Many of this year's races, however, they (Mercedes) still had too great of an advantage.

Opinions are plentiful and haters gonna hate, but here's mine...

I'm always baffled when certain people win races or championships, it's always the "it's the car" argument or something about his mannerisms/attitude/private life/style of dress/etc "hurts the sport", like these cars drive themselves, or this is some kind of elitist country club. I rarely ever hear these arguments with the likes of Schumacher, Mansell or Lauda for example, but it's always comes out in droves with Hamilton and, in the past, Senna. Not to mention, unlike sim racing (where people also have 'off days' mind you), real drivers also are subjected to rediculous amounts of G-forces and abuse, but are somehow expected to deliver the perfect race, the perfect season, every season...nonsense.

Lastly, name one year when all F1 cars were on equal footing...yet, not surprisingly, it never stopped people from praising Schumi, Prost, Mansell, etc as the greatest ever, when they also won their championships using the class of the field. What's good for the goose...

Lewis worked very hard to get where he is, he once again performed admirably over the course of the season and deserves a 10, or at the very least, a 9.

Very good for some races, but consistency wasn't the greatest.
Quite a big error in qualifying at Mexixo.
Didn't think it was LH best season, maybe that was 2012.
8.3 / 10.

Lewis gets a solid 9.
He is one heck of a driver and has kept his name relevant since 2007.
He did what was necessary to pull off the championship...despite stiff competition from his rivals.
Some people want to put it all down to the car..."total horse s**t".
Ferrari brought a very competitive car, which on some circuits was on par...if not better than the Mercedes.
It wasn't all perfect, but he got it done when it counted...and he did it with a certain level of integrity after giving Bottas back his three points when he said he would.

Last edited:
You can see the best drivers by the way they drive in the rain. In the rain horsepower is not the most important.
In the rain it is clear that Hamilton and Verstappen are the best.
Hamilton came a long way from were he started F1, a true talent that used to do a lot of mistakes that costed him a 5th championship. This year mentally he was flawless with very little mistakes. He made some but only when the title was decided.

• Deleted member 205301

Not the LH2008 I dreamt about, but a real dominant season. Sometimes he were nowhere, wich is very strange, but usually, he was the best, take a look on Q-times...
Not particularly fan of the guy, but how could I get him something else that a 10/10 ?! (maybe a 9.5/10 would be fair)...
Still not my favorite driver on the grid, but still the one who impresses me the most.
when we'll be old fart (maybe some of us already are), we'll say he was the best of his time, and one of the 5 best of all times (as we're saying 'bout Senna, Prost, Clark and Fangio)
@++

You can see the best drivers by the way they drive in the rain. In the rain horsepower is not the most important.
In the rain it is clear that Hamilton and Verstappen are the best.
Hamilton came a long way from were he started F1, a true talent that used to do a lot of mistakes that costed him a 5th championship. This year mentally he was flawless with very little mistakes. He made some but only when the title was decided.
Rain has provided some amazing performances, Hamilton 2008 at Silverstone, Vettel 2008 Monza, Button Canada 2011 and Max at Brazil in 2016. Hopefully we get more in the future, its just a shame these cars don't produce a bit more side ways action in the wet.

It's getting bored to see him at the first place all the time. I'm still surprised that this guy can be faster than most. He doesn't look like a fighter. But he has won and he is good. I hope in the coming season we'll be seeing more drivers fighting for the title and it brings a new champion. Rated 8

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back