F1 End of Season Report: Rate the Grid - Kevin Magnussen

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Rate the Grid Kevin Magnussen 3.jpg

Haas F1 driver and another famous 'son of' Kevin Magnussen is our next 'Rate the Grid' subject of our current end of season F1 review article features.

K-MAG had a much better time of it in the Haas F1 this year, however the likeable Dane still failed to bring home as many points as his often troubled team mate Romain Grosjean, falling short by one position and nine points at the end of 2017.

After difficult spells at both McLaren and Renault, has the time come for Magnussen to think about alternative employment at the end of the upcoming season, or have circumstance and reliability held back the true potential of one of Formula One's nearly forgotten men?

Vote now to tell us how you rate the 2017 season for Haas F1 driver Kevin Magnussen, and leave a comment below!

For more from the world of Formula One, check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with our awesome community..

Rate the Grid Kevin Magnussen 4.jpg
Rate the Grid Kevin Magnussen 2.jpg
Rate the Grid Kevin Magnussen.jpg

Last edited:
He had an up and down season with car failures and stupid mistakes. He is a good at starting , most of the times. He had some good races like Baku and Mexico. I hope he improves for next year!

There are much better and much more talented drivers than him, not getting any chance to drive in F1. I also would like to see one or two US drivers in the only US team in F1, but now they are driving with two Europeans, a Dane and a Frenchman. Both drivers don't seem to be able to make the Haas team better, but I cannot judge if that is their 'fault' or just Haas not being able to improve in general.

It's annoying because some of his battling is very fair and opportunistic which is good for the sport, we want to see racing, but what annoys me is that he will then be overtaken himself and then complain about something that he committed himself when he made one of his previous overtakes.

It's annoying because some of his battling is very fair and opportunistic which is good for the sport, we want to see racing, but what annoys me is that he will then be overtaken himself and then complain about something that he committed himself when he made one of his previous overtakes.

As a dane I am a big K-Mag fan and think he is a great driver. He is aggressive and drives and defends hard and mostly fair. So when I hear him complain about other drivers doing the same I dont like it either tbh. But I think this is something the drivers has to do to make the officials look at the incident. I noticed this especially with an Ocon incident where there were very clearly contact - which is why Ocon said nothing (it was so obvious). But were told by his engineer that if there were contact he HAD to tell it on the radio. I think F1 has made some changes to make more interesting team radios for the viewers - more drama. But its just a theory.

D

Deleted member 205301

• Deleted member 205301

....Well....
Seems to be the "bad guy" on the grid : bad moves, dirty talking, unrespectfull... By the way, a very fast driver, aggresive overtakes, as fast as Grosjean (in quali), and a very solid race in Mexico...
There were only 2 races in wich He used his brain (and tried to get a raceskill), and these races were fabulous, otherwise, made too many mistake...
Curious about how will be his 2018 capaign...
Gave him a 7/10, probably 6.5/10 would be better...
@++

Despite trying to be all exciting and a tryhard badass this year, he's still so boring my eyes can barely focus on him.

The grey car doesn't help.

Half the time i can't tell if a crash was caused by magnussen or a lump of concrete. And i'm not knocking the lump of concrete he's worked hard this year. Frankly lump of concrete was overlooked for that williams seat.

Anyway, magnussen's been around long enough and should probably move on the the family job of dominating sportscar races.

Jan Larsen

Premium
5. Average. Blew everyone away in his first ever race, has never performed since. Mediocre driver in a mediocre/bad car. Needs to start beating Grosjean consistently and comprehensively to ever get higher up the grid again.

D

Deleted member 205301

• Deleted member 205301

I actually think F1 needs "personalities" like Magnussen, and not just drilled PR drones.

....fair comment
...We could hate him, but at least, he's a real "character", I like guys with some balls...that's what makes F1 a real story every year : the good guy and the bad one, the young talented and the one with only dollars, the old wolf and the unlucky, etc...
@++

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 88 18.9%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.2%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 9.0%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 46 9.9%