1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

F1 2012 The Game Review

Discussion in 'F1 2012 - The Game' started by Tom, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Tom

Tom
    Staff Emeritus Staff

View the Post on the Blog

• Like Like x 8
  2. Thanks for all the new videos Tom. Now going to read the review.

3. Graham Laing

Graham Laing
    ...... mostly harmless Staff

Good review Tom, thanks for doing it. :)

Bullet point 1 under "The Ugly", is such a disappointment, though not a surprise after my experience with the demo.

Year 3, save bug ...... :thumbsdown:

4. Codemasters are retarded. If you want to make a f1 game accessible to a lot of people you make good driving assists, you don't create an ugly combination of arcade and sim. Arcade F1 games will never be acceptable.

5. Interesting, just one question. How was the steering for you?

If you haven't tried the Demo i suggest trying it and comparing it to that, this was you can say if it felt better or not. Looking at the video's, your imput for the wheel seemed to be more smoother, however that could be down to settings you have uesed.

6. Tom

Tom
    Staff Emeritus Staff

I didn't play the demo yet, for that exact reason. I'm currently downloading the demo from Steam and give it a shot asap. I've been using the very same settings I had in F1 2011 - yet, I might add 1-2% steering deadzone because the car always moved a bit to the left or right on long straights, even tho I didn't move the wheel at all.

7. Really good review :thumbsup: , but does Codemastes has what it takes to make a good sim racing F1 title for the community

8. I purchased F1 2011 and the steering on my G27 was so bad. It would spike to the right and stay there.(undrivable) I read all forums and after spending weeks trying to fix it, i gave up, 50$ down the drain.(many had problems with steering)I tried F1 2012 demo to see if now the steering worked and now I get no feel of the road, I get no FFB on corners, and spiking for no reason.(wheel works fine on all other games) After three years of making this game you would think that they would give proper wheel support. Told myself then I would never buy another CodeMasters game, and unfortunately that still stands. Shame on you CodeMasters.

9. I never had steering problems with 2010 or 2011 (apart from my wheel playing up towards the end of the TNC league), but i managed to fix that with help from ROB. I don't mind the steering in 2012, its just very twitchy down the straights which i don't like, but i can honestly say that CM have done a good job in 2010 and 2011 with all the wheels they supported in both F1 titles.

@ Tom
    thanks bud, i hope the twitchness is not so bad in the version you played (compared to the demo) and that its even better in the final version of 2012.

10. "Save games are still being corrupted from time to time"

No Sale. Had this in 2010 and 2011 not risking it again. If I felt they supported and fixed these F1 game maybe things would be different.

11. Why still save game is a Problem for CMR :mad:
    I really wish they fix before or After releasing the game

12. "The bottom line is that if you like games that won’t require you to spin around for hours before being able to put a clean lap in"

I find that if the game is realistic and I know the track then I can drive near to the limit within maybe 3 laps.

With an arcade game regardless of how well you know a track you can never drive at the limit due to the holes in the physics causing unpredictable car movements , forcing you to always drive under the limit and just memorise inputs.

But sure its easer to drive under the limit in a game like F1 2010-11-12 if you are new and have not mastered the basics of steering and throttle control.

13. Lucky you and many other said they had no problems, but many did have alot of problems. Three years to get it right across the board for all wheels. :confused:

@Ian. Yep. Again...Three years. :thumbsdown:

Enjoy if you like it, and have no problems. I guess :confused:

14. Andrew Ford

Andrew Ford
    Premium Member

so what happens? every now and again it fails to save and you have to race again? i have f1 2011 for xbox but now i'm debating whether to get f1 2012 for xbox or pc. graphics seem better on pc but not sure now if there are lots of bugs for pc or not

• Beer Beer x 1
  15. Brilliant review Tom enjoyed reading it, was worth the wait.

16. I don't understand why Racedepartment, InsideSimracing or GTplanet always compare the F1 series of codies to the hardcore sim game... It will never be the intention from Codemasters (according to Steve Hood interview) to develop a game like this. It's made for softcore gamers. So why even bother to put comparasion when it was clear from the beginning that it was not made for the hardcore sim racer?

Anyway it's a good review despite the conclusion about rFactor2.

17. Tom

Tom
    Staff Emeritus Staff

Uhm...thanks? But I said one should not compare it to rFactor2. I'm playing rFactor2 as well (and I love it) but those games are different - and that's ok. :)

I've put some laps in and getting around Monza is a whole different ball game. Understeering all over the place, the demo is nothing like the version I played I'd say. :)

18. Does the save corruption only happen to certain consoles? I've played 2010 and 2011 a lot and have never had this happen to me.

19. Because it is natural for a f1 title to be sim. For arcade you need flying space cars, cartoon characters driving carts and that sort of stuff.

20. Thanks for testing that out Tom :thumbsup: , at least the steering is a big improvement on the demo. That was the only thing i was hopping would be different, and you say its very different. :cool: