rF2 F1 1992 @ Sepang - Sunday September 4th 2011

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Brilliant, just done a couple of laps. Got just enough downforce to go round turns 5 and 6 completely flat out, but still be OK on the straights.
Also, no-one on the server yet?

Q1: 7th
R1: Finished 9th after some great battles (and a little minor wheel banging) with Martin Bulgin, and a spin from Jorge Martinho on the last lap. Ingemar was "smokin" (to borrow Chas's word).
Q2: 6th.
R2: Better start than R1 and I fought hard to keep Conti behind after a few laps but he forced me off the track at turn 4. He shot up my inside and we both had nowhere to go so both of us went off and Mark Mendonca sailed past. I defended hard against Conti but I never forced him off the track, watching my mirrors on the straights so I knew exactly where he was, and after that incident I was expecting him to give that place back. He didn't and set off in pursuit of Mendonca to gain back the place that he lost. After a couple of laps I broke traction out of the fast turns 7/8 and slid into the wall, probably frustration more than anything else.

It felt amazing to finish R1 on the lead lap. Definitely a much cleaner, faster, more well-rounded driver than I was in July.
Thanks to Lee, RD and everyone who raced.

Q1: 7th
R1: Finished 9th after some great battles (and a little minor wheel banging) with Martin Bulgin, and a spin from Jorge Martinho on the last lap. Ingemar was "smokin" (to borrow Chas's word).
Q2: 6th.
R2: Better start than R1 and I fought hard to keep Conti behind after a few laps but he forced me off the track at turn 4. He shot up my inside and we both had nowhere to go so both of us went off and Mark Mendonca sailed past. I defended hard against Conti but I never forced him off the track, watching my mirrors on the straights so I knew exactly where he was, and after that incident I was expecting him to give that place back. He didn't and set off in pursuit of Mendonca to gain back the place that he lost. After a couple of laps I broke traction out of the fast turns 7/8 and slid into the wall, probably frustration more than anything else.

It felt amazing to finish R1 on the lead lap. Definitely a much cleaner, faster, more well-rounded driver than I was in July.
Thanks to Lee, RD and everyone who raced.

Kile, I was going to post about the same incident, but without naming names. In fact, I am posting a bit later than you because I wanted to make sure I sourced the proper articles in the rules. These are also common knowledge in the racing and simracing community but it is entirely possible someone may not be aware of of it. So here it goes:

6.3 Overtaking and defending
[...]
C) The defending driver is allowed to defend his position by changing lines once per straight. As soon as the overtaking car has overlap on the straight the defending driver can only use the width of the track between the overtaking car on the one side and the track boundary on the other side to move in, without applying physical force to widen it.

http://www.racedepartment.com/rules-passwords/29908-league-regulations-2011-a.html

And that's the problem. For whatever reason, lower Downforce, better jump off the corner, etc. on both long straights I was a tad faster than you and I would have passed you by the end of the long straight. Instead you moved back and forth several times to block my passes (and I still had enough time and speed to overtake by the third attempt). That's the very definition of "blocking". You can only change lanes once per straight, not zig zag to keep the passing car behind you.

As far as the incident, by then I was a bit miffed, so I took the inside of the corner in a way I normally wouldn't in my day to day racing but only because it is likely to result in accidents and it is an unnecessary risk, not because it is illegal. From my cockpit, it looked pretty clean, but we all know that's not an ideal position. It looked like I got to the apex first and then you forced your car into my racing line. Since two objects cannot hold the same space we tangled.

Had you not blocked me on the straight, you better believe it that even with a 1% doubt about the incident's fault, I would have relinquished my position. I have a feeling my pass was actually legal because I saw no part of your car in the V-mirror sides, meaning you were not alongside me, but once again, the cockpit is not the ideal position to judge that.

It is entirely possible you did not know that zig zagging it is frowned upon and it is considered blocking. In the "Going Faster: Mastering the art of Race Driving" book by the Skip Barber racing school they have this funny quote in regard to "blocking":

Blocking -- weaving down the straight with your eyes on the mirrors, trying to cut off the driver behind -- qualifies you as a lower form of life. Like any other sport, racing requires sportsmanship, and if the only way some racers can win is by weaving in front of faster drivers, perhaps they ought to get out of racing and do something more in keeping with their personality--we hear professional wrestling pays well.

Of course, this is pretty harsh and in my book only applies if you know you are blocking. I have a feeling you didn't, which is why I was going to write a generic post about blocking as a reminder to everyone that it is not sportsman like. In fact, even calling another driver by name in relation to an on-track incident is frowned upon and had I done that I would have suffered the wrath of the forum moderators. The only reason I am naming you is because you opened that door.

In any event, I am chalking it off to unfamiliarity with the on track rules and customs. I am sure I am unaware of a few of them myself. No hard feelings on my side and the next race, if your car is a bit faster off the turn, you can be sure I'll let you by the first time around (and I'll come at you the next straight if I can).

Take care.

Fun race ;)
I did not qualify as i like to race through the feild as its more fun for me!

Start of the race the car infront didnt move off the line so i had to take avoiding action and nearly hit the pitwall!!
After the first lap i was upto about 6th the starting fighting through the field!
Got to the back of chas and had to find a way around the long way!!!! 3 corners side by side!!! Good clean racing!
Caught and passed andreas on the last lap for the win:)

Good racing by everyone

I forgot to congratulate the winners. Good race guys. You are really much faster than us hacks. I know I am dropping at least 2 (maybe 3) seconds per lap with this mod on average. By that I mean that if I practiced and really learned how to drive it effectively, I'd probably be a couple of seconds per lap faster. But I wouldn't even begin to guess where the heck I could gain the extra 3 seconds you guys have on me.

I mean, really. You make these cars look like they are modern F1s. Maybe there is still something wrong with my installation, but I doubt it. In practice I tried following the faster guys and we were pretty equal in straight line speed. But there were areas of the track where you made me feel like my wheels just came off.

I know there is a Saturday league coming up. I think I signed up for it. When is that starting? Have you guys thought about having a "clinic" on this mod for new or slower drivers? It would really help me a great deal but also it may help with getting drivers to sign up. I stuck with the mod mostly because I really liked the era these cars are from. But at first, with my rfactor set wrong, it was hell to drive these cars. Now it's much better but it can still be very frustrating, especially for beginners.

In fact, here is a technical question I have in regard to the differential. I have been doing some reading because especially on these cars it's very easy to spin them while accelerating. Especially if you are also turning a bit.
In my reading, under "Oversteer" they suggest to increase the "power" values to offset oversteer.
However, the only way I found to eliminating the issue was to set "power" (and coast incidentally) to "Zero". Once I did that it became a lot harder to spin the rear wheels when accelerating out of a turn. Should that work the opposite? or am I getting confused?

I actually found this out by chance while testing a bunch of setups I found on rfactorCentral.com. I tested one for Adelaide and it had all the settings (save for preload) set to "0". In fact, that the set I used in the race today after some modifications. Otherwise, I had to apply gas so slowly that everyone would pass me by the time I got to speed.

Anyway, nice racing, congratulations to the winners and thank you to all those that showed up. looking forward to the Saturday league.

I did write up a race report but for some reason it didn't save! It was probably too long lol Shorter than Mr Contis though :redface:
I do agree with you Mr Conti,one move only.
I'll keep it brief! 2 good races tonight for me :) P2 and P1. I qualified P3 and P2 so by far,my best showing yet :cool:
Race 1 was great and Race 2 was a blinder! Alot of action between Mateauz,Andreas,Adam,Ben and myself.
Great racing guys,well done to all.
Thanks to Adam and all at RD.
And a special thankyou to Scott Beck for his help in making my set up so good :cool:

I did write up a race report but for some reason it didn't save! It was probably too long lol Shorter than Mr Contis though :redface:

And that was the short version :)

I do have a request, if you have what you consider a very good setup for these cars, Quali or race or both, and if you would be willing to share I would appreciate it a lot. It needs not be an upcoming race. Sepang would be fine. I just want to compare with the ones I created and see what the differences are.

Thanks.

I'm just getting back into the habit of doing this on a Sunday, but that finish was milestone 1.
As for Conti, only reason you were faster on the straight was from my slipstream and maybe a little less downforce. I based my downforce levels on going flat out through 5 and 6, I'm just that sort of driver.
To be honest, I don't remember that rule, it must have escaped my memory during the race. At least I know now, lol.

To be honest, I don't remember that rule, it must have escaped my memory during the race. At least I know now, lol.
I would have thought that rule was a very simple one,and one of the first rules a driver learns.
After watching the replay tonight,you were involved in a few incidents.
The weaving infront of Mr Conti is a shocking piece of driving Kyle. I don't blame him for his move on you a few corners later.
You also had contact with Mr Bulgin a few times(race 1,lap 7,turn 1, then the left hander of turn 9),you knock him into a half spin and then take his position as you pass him? Isn't there a rule regarding that Kyle?

And that was the short version :)

I do have a request, if you have what you consider a very good setup for these cars, Quali or race or both, and if you would be willing to share I would appreciate it a lot. It needs not be an upcoming race. Sepang would be fine. I just want to compare with the ones I created and see what the differences are.
Thanks.

Corrado,
can you join us during the week for some practice? Scotts server is usualy available and we can meet there and do some set up work.
Have you joined rothmans yet? If not,pm myself or scott.
I think we'll be racing on sundays for a few weeks yet but it would be good to have you join us soon .

While i remember?
For race 1 i think there were 17 entrants? For race 2 it dropped to 9 i think?
Is everyone aware there are 2 races?
8PM- 20 mins practice
8.20PM- 10 mins quali
8.30PM- 20 mins race 1
8.50PM-10 mins quali
9.00PM-20 mins race 2
Times are approx due to there being a few minutes between sessions.

Quali 1: Did a good lap for 4th on the grid.

Race 1: Made a good start and held position. Managed to get up into 3rd place before spinning at turn 11 and having to let most of the field through. From then on, I slowly made my way back up to 4th I think it was at the end, with a few good battles along the way.

Quali 2: Managed to get 3rd this time.

Race 2: Made another good start but Andreas is lightning off the line and immediately went past me. Into turn 1 I got a bit of a hit from behind and just managed to keep the car pointing the right way but the rear end took some damage and was feeling weird all race. I chased after the guys in front and had a good battle with Andreas until I made a couple of mistakes and he pulled away. He managed to catch up to the front two and when he got involved in that battle, I too caught all three of them. I saw Andreas was all over Mateusz so I just held back, waiting for a mistake and it happened at the exit of turn 6, allowing me to pass Andreas into turn 7. I spent the next few laps attacking Mateusz and managed to squeeze by into turn 4. I tried to pull out a gap as I was a lot slower on the straights, which didn't happen. Then into turn 14, Mateusz lost the car and went off. I started gaining ground on Chas who was only a couple of seconds up the road, but a small mistake by me, and the fact that Andreas was flying meant that I had to defend Second, which I just managed to do at the end.

Race 2 was great fun, having a four-way battle. :)

Thanks guys for racing. :)

While i remember?
For race 1 i think there were 17 entrants? For race 2 it dropped to 9 i think?
Is everyone aware there are 2 races?
8PM- 20 mins practice
8.20PM- 10 mins quali
8.30PM- 20 mins race 1
8.50PM-10 mins quali
9.00PM-20 mins race 2
Times are approx due to there being a few minutes between sessions.

Strike back is on at 9 so thats the reason i missed race 2 the last 2 races!!!!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back