rF2 F1 1992 @ Aida - Sun March 27th 2011

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Ah :( I must say the quality is lacking but it's all there. With the addition of aero it's not as difficult to drive either. Maybe it wouldn't be a good track after all for the 92's but it's a fun drive none the less I would highly recommend it.

I planned to pit lap 8 because I knew from experience that the quals are like ice skates after that and it happens all at once. It was said during warmup that someone got a whole race out of them and that stuck in the back of my head. I kept pushing beyond lap 8. Nine I could feel them going then 10 woosh they were gone and I was on ice.

I would be surprised if people could go through a 20 minute race on any track with them without issues. I did a test with them on sunday and could only manage 7 before the rears turned red and there wasn't enough of a speed advantage to be able to pit twice.

I've been working on line, braking and exit. I take my HOT LAP and compare it to either one of the Aliens hotlaps or I set the AI up to 125 percent and compare it to that. There's always at least 3-4 spots I can focus on for improvement.

Working on your lines is the best way to improve. Setup only makes up 20% of times in my opinion, the rest is down to the driver. If you know where you are losing the time, then that is 75% of the problem solved. You just need to keep working at it and try different things and see what works best for you. :)

For me that is the real fun of on line racing and what I enjoy the most with this club. IMO it is one of the ways to improve. I wouldn't know about lapping anyone so I don't know if it's fun IWG not. If you look at the fast guys the probability is they've invested much to get to where they are. I'm not one of them so I really don't know what it takes to be fast but doing what I mentioned earlier; Working on line, braking, exit and studying hot laps I'm beginning to see a little improvement.

Its always more fun to be in a close battle. Lapping cars can be stressful in certain circumstances. What you are doing is the best way to improve as you are only going to get better with practice. When I first joined RD a year ago, I was out the back of the pack and one of the slowest. With more and more practice, I got better and moved my way up through the pack. I'm only quick in open-wheelers, anything else and I'm in the mid-field or so trying to play catch-up.

Can anyone tell me a bit more about motec and is it worth having or will it add to the confusion?

Not used Motec but I know a lot of people like to use it to gather information. Personally, I've never used anything other than the standard game features as I feel too much information is a hindrance at times.

I found the old Spa track for rF. This would be a great track for a club race.

It was used in the club last year with the Bathurst Legends mod. Really was a great track to drive.

Originally Posted by Steve O'Malley Can anyone tell me a bit more about motec and is it worth having or will it add to the confusion?

I've used Motec Steve. Although with GTR2 not rFactor.
I must admitm, at first? It was amazing! Having all these graphs and pretty charts to analize to death! Then i realized, i was probably spending more time looking at motec than i was tweaking my set up on track,with feeling! Seat of your pants stuff!
I found it most usefull for suspension tweaks,ride height and wheel and tyre set up.
So,it can be a bit much Steve,but it wouldn't do you any harm to look at it.

Hey guys thanks for the responses. Adam I agree setup is important but as you say it's only a small part of it. That being said I'd have to say it is although the foundation; Without that 25 percent you can't get the other 75.

Chas I can see your point also. That's the one thing I wish I could get more of that 'Seat of the pants' feeling. I'm curious to what everyone thinks...

We have some cool kart tracks in the area. You can 'arrive and drive'.

www.f1boston.com www.f1outdoors.com

I'm not a braggard and only bring up the following for sake of discussion. I have driven both these tracks quite often as you might suspect. I haven't driven the entire 'outdoor' track but I'm trying to organize an event for my company that would allow us to use the whole facility. They have an arrive and drive portion of it that I have driven. My point is this, I'm always very competitive each time I've been to these tracks. Even when the best drivers are out there I've been competitive. I think 'virtual' speed translates to the track. All the top teams are using simulators now and if the speed didn't follow to the real track they wouldn't use them. I guess what I'm asking is; Is the virtual gap as big when you move to the real world?

We've all seen the new Lexus simulator they spent 100 millions of dollars on it. Simulating G forces is growing by leaps and bounds. I've always thought that someday virtual racing could parallel real racing. The gap certainly is narrowing. It's certainly safer. I was just browsing through rFCentral last night. I'm astounded at the number of leagues and variety of sim racing out there.

Ok I'm finger babbling again sorry. Nice that someone besides the paper is listening. I read these forums beginning to end. The only thing I don't like as I've clearly stated previously is the 'piddling' about some subjects. I've been Sim Racing since the old days of FSR when we were sending our VCR's in with race times. There was a gap in there when things went to on line that I didn't do much racing because the old PC's FPS just couldn't hack it. Now I have a new PC great FPS and I'm enjoying the racing more than ever. Point is I've raced with a variey of leagues. RD is at the top of that list. Sometimes a league just fits and so far RD is a great fit for me. It's going to get harder as the summer goes on to race during the time slot but the racing is just so good I don't think I'll be able to pass it up.

I know I'm still finger babbling. Once last thing hehehe... I got the G27 last night. It's a brave new world especially the pedals. The old wheel was a black MOMO. The pedals were Toys compared to these. I don't know if it's actually going to make me faster but I do really like them. You really have to step on them to engage the brakes which provides much better imersion. Had to add a plug in to get the wheel's LED's to work. I don't use the visual wheel when racing the 92's as they have most of their metrics on the dash but the LED's on the wheel are awesome. They give you that nice bright RED IT'S TIME TO SHIFT!

Thanks again for the responses and great racing.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%