F1 2017 Exclusive F1 2017 Classic Race Footage - Italian Design vs British Weather

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2017 Classics Race 1.jpg

F1 2017 from Codemasters sees the return of classic content to the popular franchise, so what better time than to try out the mighty Ferrari F2002 at the new Silverstone Short circuit.

Without doubt the return of classic content in F1 2017 is a welcome feature for the new game, and with its mix of the best of the best from the 1980's, 90's and 2000's, Codemasters have gone to great lengths to bring to the new game something to suit most drivers tastes.

Of course with different eras come a very different driving experience, and since we like to mix things up a little here at RaceDepartment, we decided to take out on track the mighty Ferrari F2002 of Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello fame for a quick spin (hahaha that was intentional) around the new for F1 2017 Silverstone Short circuit.

Making use of the multiclass feature in the new title, our bright red Scuderia Ferrari F2002 has been pitched against an eclectic mix of Formula One cars from years past, fighting for space against the many different historic cars of the game in a 50% race distance (26 laps) event in gradually changing weather conditions.

The race session details can be seen below:

Classic Race Type: Multi Class
Practice Type: None
Qualifying: None
Formation Lap: Off
Race Starts: Manual
Race One Distance: 50% (26 Laps)
Race Two Distance: None
AI Driver Level: 90 (Master)

Flashbacks: Off
Parc Fermé Rules: On
Vehicle Damage: Simulation
Safety Car: On
Rules and Flags: On
Corner Cutting Stringency: Strict

Braking Assist: Off
Anti-Lock Brakes: Off
Traction Control: Off
Dynamic Racing Line: Off
Gearbox: Manual with Clutch
Pit Assist: Off
Pit Release Assist: Off

Quick Weather: Custom - Stage 1: Clear / Stage 2: Overcast / Stage 3: Heavy Rain
Session Start Time: Official

The full classic content list can be seen below:
  • 1988 McLaren MP4/4
  • 1991 McLaren MP4/6
  • 1992 Williams FW14B
  • 1995 Ferrari 412 T2
  • 1996 Williams FW18
  • 1998 McLaren MP4-13
  • 2002 Ferrari F2002
  • 2004 Ferrari F2004
  • 2006 Renault R26
  • 2007 Ferrari F2007
  • 2008 McLaren MP4-23
  • 2010 Red Bull Racing RB6

Formula One 2017 releases Friday August 25th on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

F1 2017 Classics Race 2.jpg

If you like your Formula One games then get yourself over to the Formula One 2017 sub forum and join in the discussion! We will be having Club and League racing once the game goes live, mods, car setups, news and chat, all for you to enjoy! Join in, have fun and go discuss!

What do you think of the classic content coming to F1 2017? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Is that disclosed anywhere?

From the first career video found here
Thanks to having early access to the most highly anticipated Formula One game in the history of the series, RaceDepartment have taken the opportunity to get our hands dirty and give the game a thorough test prior to its public debut later this month.

We have been given access to the "press copy" of the title early for review purposes, much like pretty much all gaming / racing media outlets. We are under no obligation to do anything with the game, or produce any video or written copy. We do have to hold back on reviews until the embargo is lifted on the 21st, of which we will of course comply with.

Like any media outlet we have never been in the past, nor will ever be in the future influenced by having access early to a game. It is simply how the industry works.

As for the videos, these have been produced purely for the viewing pleasure of our audience, as we like to think when it comes to racing we know what we are doing, and feel the readers would probably appreciate some footage of the game from sim racers, rather than the more traditional non racing fans of the games industry (think about all those awful videos of racing games you've seen by people who don't even know the races aren't called matches... !!!!).

We are lucky at RD, we are independent and under no obligation to do anything for anyone. We have no paymasters or affiliations. We produce videos because we want too, and we say about games what we feel, without having to pander to a greater corporate god. Which is why we have always been, and continue to be trustworthy and genuine.

That fact alone is why I and many of my fellow staff members remain exceptionally proud to wear the red badge of RaceDepartment staff.

Mr Latte

Premium
I like the idea of the classic content even in this limited format but the question was always how much of a challenge it would offer. Let me get this right from the video the car loses 1/2 of its front wing and the player is still overtaking the other cars with ease.

Its great to see RD promote whats coming, now qualms with that.

I think EA could do better with this franchise again than Codemasters have as they are more interested it seems in naff carrer stuff and cut scenes/commentary. Likely that most people will just be looking to go through faster than Eau Rouge on a quali lap and spanking new tyres..

I hope I have been so wrong on being dismissive of this title....

Last edited:
We do have to hold back on reviews until the embargo is lifted on the 21st, of which we will of course comply with.

I guess that's a clever move by Codemasters then, as what they're effectively saying is you can feature footage from it, talk about its main features, promote it, but not say anything ... objective .. about it.

Sorry for asking the question, it just seemed to me it was getting a lot of coverage that seemed to be bordering on promotion - for example was the list of all classic cars required in the OP?

Am I allowed to review it based on what I saw in the video? For me, the motion still didn't look right somehow, it looks too fast. Looks like a game.

But then again, that's what it is, so well done to Codemasters.

D

Deleted member 115516

• Deleted member 115516

No sound of traction control whatsoever from Codies or does it come on when you switch it on?

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy_J

I hate Race cheats ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
@Joseph Wright Loving your game footage and commentary.

But again I have to ask is why you state you kept cutting corners when using the cockpit cam? I would say the vast majority of us like the immersion of a cockpit whilst doing a race and I for one do not find myself cutting corners in any of the F1 games or any other race sim for that matter. Do you have trouble seeing the apex in this version? Do you use cockpit cam when racing in any of the club races here or do you use another cam? Just interested as to why you couldn't use it in these reviews.
Cheers
Andy

But again I have to ask is why you state you kept cutting corners when using the cockpit cam? I would say the vast majority of us like the immersion of a cockpit whilst doing a race and I for one do not find myself cutting corners in any of the F1 games or any other race sim for that matter. Do you have trouble seeing the apex in this version? Do you use cockpit cam when racing in any of the club races here or do you use another cam? Just interested as to why you couldn't use it in these reviews.
Cheers
Andy
I've always had difficulty in the f1 games with cockpit camera. I can't explain it but I just can't use it.

D

Deleted member 115516

• Deleted member 115516

Cheers
Andy
I'd say the vast majority use T-cam on here especially in league races because you don't have blind apex's at some circuits so it's easier.
I've used cockpit view for the last 5 years now looking forward to VR one day

I didn't watch but 10 seconds because of the DAMN VIEW! lol. (That and I cold not see the track because of all the HUD garbage.

But I wanted to say...I love the title of this article. :)

While I'd like some classic tracks, the inclusion of this content from 2013 is very welcome. Some beta testers I know have said the classic cars are at least up to par physics-wise with the rest of the game, whatever that will mean to any given user. To me, the new handling model is a massive step up, and I can't wait to truly explore the classic content.

I've always had difficulty in the f1 games with cockpit camera. I can't explain it but I just can't use it.

Ever since I started playing F1 in 2010, I have used a wheel, no assists, cockpit, and minimal HUD. I simply wanted to get as close to reality as I could. Look back and side to side helped make up for the less than real seating position and mirror placement. But...

Actually, I do get your frustration. The mirror placement in previous titles was crap. In fact, they blocked your view of certain apexes because they were squeezed together to fit on the console dominant one screen rigs. Coupled with the fact that there was no look to apex, it presented a real problem, unless you found those one or two cars (Force India, Red Bull sorta) that has properly low mirrors. Plus, the POV was very liited in adjustment.

That's all changed for 2017. I max out the look to apex (it's not that dramatic) and because I don't have triples or VR, I adjust the POV (and mirror angle) after scooting up some, and going dropping the seat down a touch. I find the Red Bull acceptable, and the Force India or STR just about right for me, but those with triples will like the better reality of the Ferrari and the Merc.

Last edited:

Andy_J

I hate Race cheats ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'd say the vast majority use T-cam on here especially in league races because you don't have blind apex's at some circuits so it's easier.
I've used cockpit view for the last 5 years now looking forward to VR one day
If I had my way (which I don't:D) I'd force all club races and leagues to use Cockpit cam. It's all about the realism for me. I do know what you are saying regarding the apex view and the mirrors but I always still use it and get used to it. Yes it makes me slower I suppose but then you lower the AI skill level to compensate. This together with no flashbacks, no restarts etc gives me a realistic season of F1 racing that I am happy with.

If I had my way (which I don't:D) I'd force all club races and leagues to use Cockpit cam. It's all about the realism for me. I do know what you are saying regarding the apex view and the mirrors but I always still use it and get used to it. Yes it makes me slower I suppose but then you lower the AI skill level to compensate. This together with no flashbacks, no restarts etc gives me a realistic season of F1 racing that I am happy with.
But not everyone is a hardcore sim racer. 95% of the F1 buyers and about 80% of the club event drivers only do this as a hobby and therefore we cant limit them. We need to have games and club events that are fit for everyone to take part in otherwise you are limiting what is already a niche group into an even smaller group of people. Its ridiculous.

I say, with the options available to us in F1, you can do Pro mode if you really want - no assist, hardest difficulty, no hud, cockpit cam. And if you cant race hardest difficulty - suck it up, its realistic. :O_o:

I do not race often - as you know. I am more behind the scenes, so doing something like this is a huge step outside my comfort zone. No flashbacks, highest simulation damage. Just let me choose my own goddamn camera. Just be appreciative of what we have to offer and stop complaining. :cautious:

With the leagues I can understand - yes, force cockpit camera. But at the same time, in the latest RDGPC in the Indycars, I was using T-Cam in that too. Purely because I can see more, and whats better - seeing more and racing good, or seeing nobody either side of you and crashing them out. Sometimes you need to think of the wider picture and not just what suits you :whistling:

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 86 19.5%
  • €151-500

Votes: 120 27.3%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 72 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 43 9.8%
  • €3001-5000