Driver with most wins will be the champion!

I think the rule is stupid...

I have watched since the early 80's and remember top 9 scores from the 16 events would only go to your championship score. if i remember it was increased as it was not rewarding consistant points scorers.... which now apparently is a bad thing you only have to win!

yes i like to see good racing and i don't believe that this rule change will make things any different on the road.

thing that just popped into my mind there was if a team needs a 3/4th place to secure the manufactureres championship and driver want the win, pushes it to get it and has an incident at extereme getting a DNF how would that play out??? team i guess will be pretty peaved i guess.

Drivers going to go for lunges to get that extra position? team play coming into effect? gah!

personally i thought the 12 points system was the better option but even still would like a system extended to top 10 finishers getting points rather than the current top 8.

finally, before i disappear for lunch, what would happen if a dodgy stewards decision settled the championship now?

OK now, what they'll do? Turn the engines to the max, they have 8 for the season, 8 win = championship, it doesn't matter what penalties they'll get for the rest of the races...

what would happen if a dodgy stewards decision settled the championship now?

Spa f.e.? (Massa +1, Hamilton -1)

Edit: One thing just popped in my mind, they won't do the engine killing trick as they want the constructors championship as well. But still that doesn't mean they won't have a No.1. pilot.. That can kill the whole championship for me, as my favourite is Massa, if Ferrari choose Raikkönen...

Exactly. There will be team orders from the moment one of the team drivers scores a victory.

More than this, durability and fiability are no required anymore, and same for consistence.

Alonso as an example is one of the most consistent drivers in the grid, maybe he wins 2 but he will be a podium finisher in the 80% if the other races. Now he gots nothing for being consistant. Same for McLaren or Ferrari, clearly podium contenders.

I can´t understans new FIA rules saying we have to cut costs due the crisis and then they talk again and say: "but you have to be the team with more victories to win the champ" in my opinnion it is controversial. As said before, teams will use 8 engines in the best circuits for his car, and then 10 more to end the champ with 6 victories. :S

BERNIE GO HOME! :chuck:

Great news:

FIA set to postpone new points system

By Jonathan Noble Friday, March 20th 2009, 17:44 GMT

The FIA has said it will defer the introduction of a new points system in Formula 1 until 2010 if teams are unhappy about it.

The Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) issued a statement on Friday questioning the validity of the rule change which will see the world championship handed to the driver with the most wins.

FOTA believes that the rules could not be changed at this late stage without unanimous support of the teams.

The FIA has responded to FOTA's claims, suggesting that its World Motor Sport Council that voted for the changes earlier this week was under the impression that the teams had supported the 'winner takes all' proposal put forward by Bernie Ecclestone.

In light of complaints from leading figures, the FIA has now said that if the teams are unhappy then the introduction of the wins systems will be delayed until 2010.

The statement said: "On 17 March, the FIA World Motor Sport Council unanimously rejected FOTA's proposed amendment to the points system for the Formula One Drivers' Championship. The 'winner takes all' proposal made by the commercial rights holder (who had been told that the teams were in favour) was then approved.

"If, for any reason, the Formula One teams do not now agree with the new system, its implementation will be deferred until 2010."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73810

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back