1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driver with most wins will be the champion!

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Péter Bártfai, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Source: formula1.com
  2. Me not like.
  3. Me neither...
  4. The championship could be over before it's started, brawn gp win most of the first half of the races championship over

If a driver absolutely drives the wheels off a slow car all year and picks up regular points and podiums plus the odd couple of wins in the wet or whatever, he can't be F1 champion even if he has more points than someone from a leading team who has a faster car and who has taken five or six relatively straightforward wins on fast tracks.

5. Ramon van Rijn

Ramon van Rijn
    Premium Member

6. Button did a 117 today :)
  7. James Johnson

James Johnson
    The Weatherman

all i can say is Meh.
  8. I liked the old system the best (10-6-4-3-2-1), but the 10-8-6-... was still good, and many championships use that system... I can't understand why they're always changing everything! I also think that somebody who is 2nd in all races should be champion over a guy who wins 4-5 races and DNF on all other races..
    The only changes I like are the car changes, now I like their looks better than the old ones, first they were strange, but now old ones are...:)

Edit: But I don't mind, if they want it that way... at least it's sure now that we won't see people finishing safe 2nd instead of trying to pass the 1st guy.
  9. with the new system then this is how it would change past results

1958: Actual champion: Mike Hawthorne
    Most wins champion: Stirling Moss

1964: Actual champion: John Surtees
    Most wins champion: Jim Clark

1967: Actual champion: Denny Hulme
    Most wins champion: Jim Clark

1977: Actual champion: Niki Lauda
    Most wins champion: Mario Andretti

1979: Actual champion: Jody Scheckter
    Most wins champion: Alan Jones

1981: Actual champion: Nelson Piquet
    Most wins champion: Alain Prost

1982: Actual champion: Keke Rosberg
    Most wins champion: Didier Pironi

1983: Actual champion: Nelson Piquet

1984: Actual champion: Niki Lauda

1986: Actual champion: Alain Prost
    Most wins champion: Nigel Mansell

1987: Actual champion: Nelson Piquet
    Most wins champion: Nigel Mansell

1989: Actual champion: Ayrton Senna

2008: Actual champion: Lewis Hamilton
    Most wins champion: Felipe Massa
  10. This is going to stop any competition between drivers in the same team.

Stupid move.
  11. Omer Said

Omer Said
    Weresloth Staff Premium Member

I liked this system. We will watch more brutal fights for the victory :D.. Perhaps we will be able to see some classical f1 fights like old times:victory:!...

But i must admit that this system is not fair :no:
  12. Well in old times there was 9-6-... then 10-6...
    It's not the system's fault if they not fight for win. But now they'll have to!
  13. They put rules in to stop team orders ( when Ferrari was abusing the team orders system, MS Era ) but now put this in which will only make teams use team orders to favour a certain / faster driver on the team.
  14. And that's bad as most of the teams have equal, or almost equal drivers... this is only good for McLaren or Renault...
  15. Very nice Neil, could you include the Teams they drove for.:wink2:
  16. Bram

Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Are then now completely mad :( ? They can't be serious with this.. Early april fools joke i think..
  17. I want to see Heidfeld win!!! And Trulli at Toyota! Or Rubens at Brawn! And don't want Ferrari to choose between Felipe and Kimi! ...
    People nowadays create awful rules... like this, or the weight penalty system at WTCC. (I don't like that either, what's the point in the manufacturers championship if all the cars will be equaled? And that hurts the drivers championship as well as we don't know if the best drivers at each team are at the same level...)

The only advantage is that they'll fight for the win...
    I can also imagine that some guys will only win races because the two guys ahead them fight until an accident happens...

The 12-9-7 system could be much better...
  18. Bram

Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Amen brother Bartfai :good:
  19. Petition
    Got a petition going for people who are against it. Actually going to send this (email) to FIA if there's loads of signatures.