Dramatic 2018 IndyCar Revealed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
IndyCar 2018 5.jpg

The all new 2018 Dallara IndyCar broke cover at Indianapolis last night, revealing a striking new design much more in keeping with traditional open wheel concept racecar.

As in previous seasons, the new car will come in two separate configurations, one for the demanding Superspeedway ovals and the other designed to work on both traditional road and street courses as well as the many short ovals that make up the current IndyCar schedule.

The new IR-12 by Dallara has been created to produce a less bulky and sleeker car than the previous design, with an emphasis on weight distribution and balance sighted as one of the key design criteria by the IndyCar Series as they look to promote better racing across the mixture of racing locations in the IndyCar championship. With a push of additional weight towards the front of the car, Dallara and IndyCar anticipate a more responsive and nimble vehicle, coupled with a new aerodynamic package built to allow cars to run in close proximity, the new design is both aesthetically a major improvement over previous designs as well as making use of lessons learnt through the life cycle of the previous DW12.

Jay Frye, president, INDYCAR competition and operations had the following to say of the new design:

“The process started a year ago April, and we took the input of our fans, drivers, teams, manufacturers, partners – everyone shares in this. There is a historical component to this design, and it comes with a very forward look and all the latest components. Although the design looked good on paper it looks even better in person. We couldn’t be more excited to get this car on the track.”

Furthermore, famed Italian designer Giampaolo Dallara, who is both the founder and president of Dallara Automobili was equally pleased with the outcome of the new car, and the continued presence of the famous Italian constructor in America's premier open wheel racing series:

2017 marks our 20th year in INDYCAR and we are glad that we can keep contributing to the great success that this series deserves. We have been working with the series’ organization and the teams to reach this shared goal, and this day represents an extraordinary step forward to achieve it.”

Veteran drivers Juan Pablo Montoya and Oriol Servia have been tabbed to drive the two cars – one for each engine manufacturer – throughout the testing regimen operated by INDYCAR. Team Penske is providing the Chevrolet-powered car for Montoya; Schmidt Peterson Motorsports the Honda-powered chassis for Servia.

The testing schedule is as follows:
  • Tuesday and Wednesday (if necessary): Indianapolis Motor Speedway (superspeedway).
  • Aug. 1: Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (road course).
  • Aug. 10: Iowa Speedway (short oval).
  • Sept. 26: Sebring International Raceway (street-course simulation; brakes and cooling test).

The first kits will be delivered to Verizon IndyCar Series teams in November.

IndyCar 2018 1.jpg
IndyCar 2018 2.jpg
IndyCar 2018 3.jpg
IndyCar 2018 4.jpg

For more from the world of international motorsports, check out the Motorsport Sub Forum and get yourself involved with the racing community.

IndyCar 2018 5.jpg IndyCar 2018 6.jpg IndyCar 2018 7.jpg IndyCar 2018.jpg

What do you think of the new IndyCar design? Can the series improve the on track spectacle with the new cars? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:

Matthew Allington

Wham!ming into Spanish rocks
....we took the input of our fans, drivers, teams, manufacturers, partners – everyone shares in this.

I like this philosophy.

I like this result.

Futuristic with a nod to the past, sleek and attractive. Easily set to outclass F1 in the looks department next year :thumbsup:

I agree, when I saw the concept sketches I had my fingers crossed that the look would transfer over to the finished car and I'm glad to say it has.

The fact they've introduced more powerful ground effect is interesting as well. As a racing enthusiast I've been interested to know if that form of aero will allow closer racing.

This is one sexy race car and I'm looking forward to seeing it racing next year :thumbsup:

I know it's only a concept rendering but it's still looks pretty sharp in road course configuration.

It's interesting in a way, IMSA have hit the nail on the head with the DPi regulations and it looks like they've done it again with the '18 Indycar as well :thumbsup::)

....so when is it appearing in RF2 then? :geek:;)

Now this is how race cars should be build. Inspired by classics, with modern touch and tech and that beautiful brutal look.

I wish F1 would have more of this philosophy and look this days, instead they`ll install halos...

I was never much into IndyCars, but apparently I should pay more attention to the series in the nearest future.

That looks really nice. Compare to F1 2018 with Halo...

They're not longer worried about tires contacting?

Yeah I had no issues with the rear "bumpers" they were there for a reason. I understand that Indycar didn't want them anymore because with them breaking away from the cars they cause more issues than they solved.

However they may still keep a version for the superspeedways and from that point of view I understand entirely. Depends on which articles you read.

Gopher04

Premium
I've always liked Indy, but in the last few years it's just got better and better, even on oval tracks it's still out classes the boring mundane F1, and this new kit looks hot, as will the racing be..

Looks awesome. Though, the rear wing could be a little bit bigger, imho. They should build it a longer, but with lesser angle. Would have very much the same effect. With the road version, everything is okay there, but the frontwing is too dominant for my liking. But way more better then current chassis... :D

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 87 19.3%
  • €151-500

Votes: 122 27.1%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 74 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 39 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 46 10.2%
  • €3001-5000