Does AC really need mods ?

Still got some of my old mans gear.

P1010031_zps99b3e07e.jpg
P1010032_zps905604a1.jpg
P1010033_zpse9291225.jpg

And a filthy seat o.O

If the missus walks in just now she will find me in my underpants, drunk, fiddling with old engineering equipment while listening to obnoxious techno. I may just go the full hog and stick her underpants on, at least then she will just walk straight back out and I won't have to explain anything :roflmao:

If the missus walks in just now she will find me in my underpants, drunk, fiddling with old engineering equipment while listening to obnoxious techno. I may just go the full hog and stick her underpants on, at least then she will just walk straight back out and I won't have to explain anything :roflmao:

Best do it good and proper and stick a carrot up ya bum too! Just to really scare her lol.

This is what im talking about when i say give me the pew pew track any day of the week.

Hehe, pew pew track :D

I agree in a way. I just don't feel like I want to pay for this kinda content.

We have the cost of laser + licensing and all those overheads which mean the end user has a lot to pay, especially for a relatively low user game like AC (not like they have the clout of GT/Forza type user base/income)

And part of me is fed up of paying to games co's for the same content again and again each year via licensing too. I must own about 10 licensed copies of Silverstone by now, and so many other tracks. I am having to pay many companies to scan, pay costs and develop these tracks again and again.

Modders can iterate these to near perfection and maintain them for a wide range of mods, for free... win win.

For me AC will be best as a platform for modders to do great work in the longer term. There is no way I'm paying for content again and again that I've already paid for in other formats many times over.

Hmmm

Dave

So you don't plan on supporting the devs but you want them to model every little electronic nanny to the nth degree and are probably also looking forward to day/night transitions, dynamic weather, dynamic racing line rubbering in, driver swaps, and whatever else they have in plan for us over the next 5 years. Surprised you didn't wait until you could just torrent the damn game.

Hmmm

Every other version of Mugello I've ever driven Vs AC Laser Scanned Mugello. Absolutely no contest. No other version has got the elevation changes, the road surface and the camber of some of the corners right. I always thought the main straight was virtually flat! No Sir.

This is why Laser Scans make all the difference, and why I'll pay for these tracks more than willingly.

Hmmmmm

So you don't plan on supporting the devs but you want them to model every little electronic nanny to the nth degree and are probably also looking forward to day/night transitions, dynamic weather, dynamic racing line rubbering in, driver swaps, and whatever else they have in plan for us over the next 5 years. Surprised you didn't wait until you could just torrent the damn game.

Hmmm

I do plan on supporting the devs, to make AC, that is why I paid for a beta because this game has so much promise.

If they add cars in their standard offering for their high end simulator then I expect the products in that high end simulator to be done to do justice to both their simulator and the car they offer.

To not want to pay more for DLC isn't a bad thing in my view.

In the end I have no idea how far KS will go with the game.

Too many games like Forza and GT are being rushed out year on year, and each time people will be paying for the SAME DLC again and again each version.

Who knows how AC will turn out in this regard but I simply won't support this model. Sell me full game updates year on year for £20 each time... fine, you are showing me you are support your game long-term and my investment will be a long-term library of content that will work 'forever' in a maintained and feature rich/improved car platform.

Maybe if their DLC is very cheap, say 15 cars and 5 tracks for £5, then I'll go for it!

To pay more for it when in 2 years AC2 might come along and you are paying £££ for the same DLC track again just to use it in the latest AC would be pretty annoying.

Lets see how it pans out I guess :)

Dave

Hmmm

uuhm isn't buying a 35€ beta programme, supporting the devs then????:confused:
christ some 5-6 years ago, ppl would have laughed/ be angry at you if you tried to sell them a beta....

Last edited:
Maybe if their DLC is very cheap, say 15 cars and 5 tracks for £5, then I'll go for it!

Holy cheap bastard batman! Are you serious?

To pay more for it when in 2 years AC2 might come along and you are paying £££ for the same DLC track again just to use it in the latest AC would be pretty annoying.

Have you learnt nothing about AC yet? There WONT be an AC 2 in 2 years, It's a long term (5+ years) continual project.

Exactly Davy.

I know KS are a small studio and deserve some support. They are not like all the big corporates out there it seems.

But times have indeed changed. The risk I see from the game buying public is that they are telling game developers they don't care about the end product, the hype is what they are buying today, with a hope the end product fits their expectations.

In the end I think it'll all back fire and in a few years many games companies will go bust trying to sell the same junk time and again. Buyers are not stupid eventually.

But I don't want KS to feel they need to do this DLC model. I'll happily support them if they make a great game, update and develop it over the years, and add content as well.

I'm fed up of new series games every year or so. I just want one long-lasting updated game where all my content will work for a long time. If KS can't provide that then I'm not gonna support a short-term profit grab via DLC.

Dave

As long as it's so cheap as to be not cost effective??!!

It'll never be cost effective and be good value for money, that is the whole point.

DLC only works to make mega money on mega user-count games.

To expect everyone who owns AC to download DLC to spread the cost just so we can all get it at a reasonable price is crazy, because at that point the price won't drop because that will be the profit for the business retailing it.

DLC won't work for a game like this imo.

But lets see. I'll happily be proven wrong but being a sheep and just saying what everyone else is to be popular on a forum isn't my bag. Sorry.

Dave

FYI

Kunos does much more than just racing games

Services
  • Development support to 3rd parties teams to develop racing based games.
  • Development of racing games for commercial or promotional requirements.
  • Development of dedicated software for safe or sport driving school with customized interface and/or overlay views.
  • Development of dedicated software for racing teams and pilots training.
  • Three dimensional visualization and dynamic behavior recreation; circuit recreation based on CAD, IGES, GPS, Laserscan data.

I'm not really sure how that impacts the business model of offering DLC to AC owners.

In the end they could have made the Ring for example five times over for different customers, and under different license agreements might not be able to use the same scan data to make their own versions.

Their other business activities, except for IP they own themselves under contract, won't be able to be used for AC.
I doubt tracks they make for other people, or cars, come under their internal IP to use on AC.

Not sure though as always but this is usually the case with anything like this otherwise racing team client X would want a full refund if AC released the track they paid to have scanned/built to simmers for more money :D

Again, I want the best for AC and KS. But I don't want to be seen as a cash cow, rather a partner user who will support them and be honest as long as they do the same back.

I'm not sure about anyone else but that is how I'm approaching this. I think that is how any good game should work and be long-term sustainable. A partnership. I trust that is how it will go and why I stumped up the cash for the beta.
But DLC simply doesn't seem to fit that model to me if modders can make great mod content.

What I'd be more happy to pay for over time is the stuff underneath that we can't easily see been updated and improved to make AC a full-on driving sandbox with amazing physics.

Dave

It'll never be cost effective and be good value for money

But value for money is completely subjective. As you've already made clear in an earlier post, what you consider VFM isn't anywhere near what I would call VFM

DLC only works to make mega money on mega user-count games. DLC won't work for a game like this imo.

I see no reason at all why it shouldn't. It works well for iRacing, it can work just as well for AC. iRacing have have laid out how much it costs them to make a track. when you do the maths it's clear they are far from making "mega money" out of their track DLC's

What I'd be more happy to pay for over time is the stuff underneath that we can't easily see been updated and improved to make AC a full-on driving sandbox with amazing physics.
Buying the DLC is what helps to fund them being able to continually develop the stuff underneath, surely.

IRacing run subscription to fund the platform, then charge for content too iirc?

AC funding development by revenue from DLC sounds great, but we have to trust that will happen.

I'd rather not invest £££ in DLC to find KS two years later start a new sim project or stop developing AC.

Fair enough they will do what they want but AC is an opportunity to do right what everyone else has done wrong.

Long term partnership with their customers. If they can't or won't be offering that then AC will just be another sim I pickup and play and put down and move on again... But I want it to be something we might still be getting updates for in a decade with a vast library of content that covers everything with wheels from rally to drag cars to monster trucks :)

If their business model allows that then that is good :)
I'm just not sure that I'll be happy to buy DLC if its like current driving game DLC that's all.

AC for me is all about the modding and longevity, seeing people making monster truck mods, drag racing mods, rally mods. Karting mods.

If that stuff does start to appear as a by product of DLC income then I might change my mind :)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.