Does AC really need mods ?

The only thing I guess you might re-use are sounds because they are very difficult to capture... I'm fairly certain for example that the AC Z4 has a sound of the TDU 1 TVR Tuscan above 4000rpm...

come to think of it, it does sound very similar! I remember many many sounds and sound mods from TDU 1 being thrown around to other games and vice versa, which isn't a bad thing...

but with new engines for games, higher fidelity foundations for sound development means there will also be even better sounds than before. At least for some cars I hope.
TDU2 was actually such an example, for sound. The sound modding had better quality, though the rest of the game fell to pieces.

As for tracks, laser scans are great, and I hope they keep coming! but when there are modders like feels3 for rF2, there's no question that I'd welcome modders like that just as well. And fantasy tracks.....there are many rally type tracks in rf1 that are technically "fantasy" but still awesome to drive. For me it's not too big a deal to have perfect laser scans of every track. they will still be driven nonetheless, given performance and quality overall. As long as it doesn't become like rF2, where you need 10 well done tracks, and 30 low quality tracks to enter a server.

Cars....I want every car from every era from every corner of the world. (ok, I'm lying, there's some I wouldn't bother touching) Anyway, the more the better for me! Quality is of course important. Very important. Only certain mods get that spotlight shine, and testing is just another part of the fun of adding mod content to sims.

Do you guys ever have any fun?
I think some of you need "real life" what ever that is, to find the detail and accuracy you demand.
Lazer (pewpewpewpew) sry) scanning has it's place, Oulton Park in ayeracing for example is stunning, I now realise all previous efforts have not captured the track well, such a fantastic wibblywobbly track.

I am having a ton of fun with AC actually ! A real blast !

Most of the people demanding top quality accuracy are usually the ones that HAVE a real life and know how good reality really is !

The closer you get to real life the better !
The closer you get to real life the more fun !

No problem. My pub conversations rarely go any deeper than beer, football, music.....and boobs of course. :laugh:

In fact i'd be tempted to punch myself if i talked about sim physics and laser scans :D

Why !

I bet that the Kunos Team talks about physics, graphic's and coding all day long and even at the pub among other topics of course ( Like Boobs :roflmao: ) !

If you want to be at the top level of anything you have to live it to 100 %

Otherwise there will be some other competitor that Eats Sleeps and Everything else it to a maximum 24/7 -365 !

As a Sim Racer - Not so much Perhaps !:roflmao:

Last edited:
Just as an example that I know was amazing for the time and still is, check Endo's Nissan GTR and Nissan Skyline R32.
Ha, I know Endo, haven't seen him in a long while though, his GTR is indeed great. In fact I remember he said once that the Forza's GTR was atrocious or something to that effect.

He currently works at Rockstar, he makes the cars for GTA games. :)
/off

This thread has gone some ugly places, for the people who argues that most mods are bad, maybe you should do what I did long ago, once upon a time there was a severe lack of decent mods of a car I liked, that annoyed me to no end, so I decided to make it myself, it sure wasn't easy and didn't look great, but was a start and I loved it. :D

I just think that people who waste time complaining on forums should put that time into being productive towards what they would like to have. :)

For example, I've spent the last few days looking around tutorials and stuff I could use to make a road course for AC, I'm not really a big fan of race tracks, other than a few special ones like Nord, Spa, Bathurst, etc, and have zero experience of creating tracks, but I'll try because I'd rather give it a shot than wait for someone else to do it for me.:coffee:

I'm a big fan of road courses too XN Sigma. We have all these games with many road cars, but no real roads to drive them on.
Those games where we have roads are usually too arcade to be fun (NFS etc)

So some nice roads for AC would be great!

OK we have race cars in AC, so race tracks are nice, but we also have numerous road cars, so some road tracks like IOM TT would be really cool :D

Dave

This topic is strange really.
Without modders sim racing wouldn't be what it is.
Modders have even raised the quality in sim racing believe it or not.
Just wait to see how many community created skins/tracks/apps/cars/etc every one of you is going to use.

As for laser scanning. Please dudes just look over the presented horizon.
I'll give you just an example.

What do you think, which LRP version is more accurate, iRacings or rF2's.
Cars need to be accurate and you can race them on the moon if you want.
Tracks will never be one to one not even with laser scanning, especially if you get the track one year after the scan. As long as you are not doing scientific research work for a racing team or tire manufacturer or what ever it's just not a must have.

Or here you go, please deliver me an accurate laser scan version of the Wales Rally track.
Of course you can limit your self with some absurd accuracy in mind but you miss a lot of amazing stuff.

Or another one. Imagine you are on track and the race control decides to change one turn due to safety reasons, will you tell them no you don't want to race on this version because it's not accurate?

:p

This topic is strange really.
Without modders sim racing wouldn't be what it is.
Modders have even raised the quality in sim racing believe it or not.
Just wait to see how many community created skins/tracks/apps/cars/etc every one of you is going to use.

As for laser scanning. Please dudes just look over the presented horizon.
I'll give you just an example.

What do you think, which LRP version is more accurate, iRacings or rF2's.
Cars need to be accurate and you can race them on the moon if you want.
Tracks will never be one to one not even with laser scanning, especially if you get the track one year after the scan. As long as you are not doing scientific research work for a racing team or tire manufacturer or what ever it's just not a must have.

Or here you go, please deliver me an accurate laser scan version of the Wales Rally track.
Of course you can limit your self with some absurd accuracy in mind but you miss a lot of amazing stuff.

Or another one. Imagine you are on track and the race control decides to change one turn due to safety reasons, will you tell them no you don't want to race on this version because it's not accurate?

:p

To me most of what you said doesn't make sense, so you are saying laser scanning is pointless?! Yes the track will change over time what with asphalt moving about etc, but its still the best way to get the most accurate representation of a track we can (obviously a rally stage is always changing due to the nature of its materials), including, width, height, bumps, location of objects etc. And to me (and 30,000 iRacing members) this is a very important part of sim racing, now it might not be everybody else's "bag" but its deffinately created the best tracks available to us in the sim world.

Anyone appease my lazieness, how long can the tracks be?
Would love to see the IOM TT in full at some point in a sim.

It's a huge track. It's maybe 3x bigger than the Ring with a lot more details too.
Maybe 9x more work to make at a rough guess hehe!

Certainly a track for dedicated modders to make maybe with 'help' somehow.

Not sure how much laser scanning costs, need to do some asking around I suppose :)

I know exactly how long it is and have done a number of laps on a 2 stroke in my youth.
It's a very very special place, perhaps the most atmospheric motorsports venue still in existence, I would love to see it in a modern sim but I do not think any could cope at the moment.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%