Could F1 return to Adelaide?

Just tried it with the Extreme, the combo is not a lot of fun with the modern version (except for the chicane and the fast bend, those are fun :)), and the lap would be too short for F1 standards. Even more so with this year's car...

I'm assuming you mean the shortened version without the long straight still on it? Yes that would be too short a lap time for modern cars. I think the current version misses out about a third of the old lap (see below) so it would make a big difference.

Circuit_Adelaide.png

I wouldn't mind a circuit like Adelaide coming back. Get some variety in the circuits back on the calendar again, although it would probably be chopped to bits to make it up to the required safety levels now required.

A "real" street circuit, not one that's billiard smooth would be a welcome change. Adelaide has provided some good racing in the past as well.

As mentioned above though I always get the impression that politics in the area will stop it happening, at least the circuit is still used.

I'm surprised about the love for Aida, the drivers didn't like it very much when F1 went there and most of the races had very little overtaking on them so I was glad when it got dropped. Don't get me wrong, nice circuit but not sure how well it suits an F1 car.

F1 should leave Australia full time imo.
In it's current form, I agree. Though probably not for same reason/s as yourself.

Personally, the quality of racing doesn't justify the price the host nations are paying in fees these days. That's one of many reasons, so I'll save it for another day, and another thread that would be better suited to the topic.

• Deleted member 130869

Foster's is what got Melbourne the GP hosting duties. I'd hate to see Adelaide killed to fit current F1 cars as great as the city is, and growing.

As I understand it's just some silly noises from politicians, SA doesn't have the money to host it.

Well the article basically says that.

As for the old GP layout, T7/8 don't exist in their old form anymore for a start.

And also complaints from the local residents for noise which I think the new F1 would suit them even more if the sound levels are still as bad as 2016.

The track is located pretty much in a residential area where some locals hate the track. VASC, GT3s, and a variety of cars that raced there aren't exactly the quiet type. Still, I did see a few houses along the track enjoy having fire spitting race cars right at their doorstep. My brother's friend used to rent an apartment that was literally beside Adelaide track, he goes there every year to get the best vantage point of the track.

I would love to see Bathurst or Phillips Island chosen for an F1 race, but I think it will end up getting tilke-fied in the end. Phillips Island is nice but it's sweeping curves would offer very little in overtaking chances. And with Bathurst, I can't imagine much overtaking on any part of the hill section except for the very bottom. The Mountain Straight would be much too long and end up getting a chicane, probably the same with Conrod Straight.

Jenson Button's demonstration lap in the Vodafone McLaren-Mercedes proved it would be loads of fun, and a lap time of 1:48 would be welcome for me:

Id like to, but im sure it wont happen. something about, 'to dangerous' and 'not enough passing opportunities'

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back